Rear end ride quality

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
All the options are rolling in now!

Bruiserram, you've been radio silent for a bit so I expect some seriously bad ass pics in lieu of your absence! [emoji41]

My settlement money might just have to get me some new shocks with all this talk of better ride.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

TOM153

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the icon 2.0 they are listed 0-3 inch lift. I have them on 3 inches and they ride and handle great. Only thing you have to do is trim the tab mounts at the top because of the size of the shock body (a few passes with the angle grinder and it was good to go) it is right in the direction if you choose to read and only took about 5 min on each side and a quick paint
Yeah
I have the icon 2.0 they are listed 0-3 inch lift. I have them on 3 inches and they ride and handle great. Only thing you have to do is trim the tab mounts at the top because of the size of the shock body (a few passes with the angle grinder and it was good to go) it is right in the direction if you choose to read and only took about 5 min on each side and a quick paint

Yeah I would like to get the icons with the reservoir or without depends but they are shorter than my current ones but I am currently in talks with nick@gotexhaust and i’m Going to be taking some measurements so the icons might possibly work.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Icon can make you a custom length to match or to give you new ones close to what you have now. ask Nick to ask Icon or ask Icon.

OP
OP
T

TOM153

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok so I talked to Nick and he said the Icon with reservoirs Part #216524R specs are

Extended Length 27.05"
Compressed Length 16.6"

Now my Bilstein shocks are

Collapsed Length: 17.91"
Extended Length: 29.70"

So I lifted the truck up, placed jack stands underneath the frame and let the axle dropped and measured the shock and it is getting the full 29.70 travel out of it. Now If I put the Icons on would it have any adverse affects? Would the shock be more prone to damage knowing the extended length is almost 3 inches less? I called Icon and they can do custom shocks with those exact specs of my old ones but I am looking at 8-10 weeks of build time, there is no warranty on custom shocks and about 650 bucks not including tax or shipping which is very expensive which Nick noted. So any issue going with the Icon 216524R with my current setup?

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Ok so I talked to Nick and he said the Icon with reservoirs Part #216524R specs are

Extended Length 27.05"
Compressed Length 16.6"

So I lifted the truck up, placed jack stands underneath the frame and let the axle dropped and measured the shock and it is getting the full 29.70 travel out of it. Now If I put the Icons on would it have any adverse affects? Would the shock be more prone to damage knowing the extended length is almost 3 inches less? I called Icon and they can do custom shocks with those exact specs of my old ones but I am looking at 8-10 weeks of build time, there is no warranty on custom shocks and about 650 bucks not including tax or shipping which is very expensive which Nick noted. So any issue going with the Icon 216524R with my current setup?
How do the brake lines, breather etc look at that full droop with the longer shocks. Honestly I can't think of any adverse effects. When the truck is sitting at ride height what length are the shocks at? Seems like you will have droop for freaking days with that setup.

OP
OP
T

TOM153

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How do the brake lines, breather etc look at that full droop with the longer shocks. Honestly I can't think of any adverse effects. When the truck is sitting at ride height what length are the shocks at? Seems like you will have droop for freaking days with that setup.

The brake lines and breather tube have plenty of slack. The Sway Bar extension bracket with the kit comes with a relocation for the brake hanger so it extends the line a little as well. The droop is nuts on it plenty of flex in the rear end feels like my old WJ. I have yet to measure it just sitting idle I guess that is the next measurement. I just get worried about the axle being up in the air and the entire weight of the suspension pulling on the shock rod or the shock bottoming out easily because it is the incorrect size.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I have a 2017 Ram 1500 Night edition with the mopar 2” lift kit that consists of front 2.8” Bilstein 5100’s, rear custom length 5125’s, rear bump stop extension, rear sway bar extensions, and rear superlift variable rate lifted coils. I installed the mopar kit about a year and a half ago and about 4 months ago I installed 35” nitto ridge grapplers. This is where problems started to become apparent. When I first installed this kit it rode great but now that I have bigger tires on my ride is very choppy in the back. You can feel every little bump in your seat. It definitely feels like it’s coming from the rear. This biggest issue has become when accelerating and hitting big pot holes the whole vehicle jumps to the right or left it’s kinda scary like you like control for a minute. Things I’ve tried to do to fix the problem is mess with the air pressure which I current sit at about 36 for the rear unloaded. I added a Hellwig rear sway bar and nothing has seemed to help. Anyone have issues like this after lifting?

How wide are your tires? You may be chasing a problem and going down rabbit holes throwing parts at a problem.(That's not really a problem) My first truck I had wide tires on was a Ford Excursion. I put 12" wide tires on and felt every bit of its 9000 LB body moving. It was a bit scary at first because it used to just plow through puddles and with the new tires I felt like I was loosing control in puddles. What I am trying to say is it may just be a learning curve from driving on a skinnier tire. Now you have an additional 10-12" of rubber contacting the road. When you hit a pot hole there is a lot of rubber shifting on the road and pulling the truck in directions you've never felt before.
Upgrading shocks will improve the ride but I don't think its the fix to what you're feeling

OP
OP
T

TOM153

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How wide are your tires? You may be chasing a problem and going down rabbit holes throwing parts at a problem.(That's not really a problem) My first truck I had wide tires on was a Ford Excursion. I put 12" wide tires on and felt every bit of its 9000 LB body moving. It was a bit scary at first because it used to just plow through puddles and with the new tires I felt like I was loosing control in puddles. What I am trying to say is it may just be a learning curve from driving on a skinnier tire. Now you have an additional 10-12" of rubber contacting the road. When you hit a pot hole there is a lot of rubber shifting on the road and pulling the truck in directions you've never felt before.
Upgrading shocks will improve the ride but I don't think its the fix to what you're feeling

My tires are 11.5 wide my stock Goodyear’s were like 10.8 so it’s not dramatically bigger than stock. It’s possible it’s not a problem though and it’s just the nature of the solid axle but it always happens when there is a huge pothole or maybe just running over 2 sewer caps that are next to each other. It’s like it doesn’t recover from the first bump then the next bump it just hits hard and jumps. I googled this problem a while ago and apparently people with the F150’s experience this a lot and it was fixed with putting in new bilsteins. Even though I have bilsteins I don’t have stock tires either so I’m thinking now that I have a lot heavier tire the 5125’s are having a hard time controlling it.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
My tires are 11.5 wide my stock Goodyear’s were like 10.8 so it’s not dramatically bigger than stock. It’s possible it’s not a problem though and it’s just the nature of the solid axle but it always happens when there is a huge pothole or maybe just running over 2 sewer caps that are next to each other. It’s like it doesn’t recover from the first bump then the next bump it just hits hard and jumps. I googled this problem a while ago and apparently people with the F150’s experience this a lot and it was fixed with putting in new bilsteins. Even though I have bilsteins I don’t have stock tires either so I’m thinking now that I have a lot heavier tire the 5125’s are having a hard time controlling it.
Good luck brother you’re in good hands Nick won’t steer you wrong And his prices you can’t beat. Hopefully you get it figured out.

FF1899

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
With that lift did your panhard bar get relocated? Same with the control arms? Mostly the panhard though? I know going from my 2 inch that was spacers only to the zone 3 inch kit with relocation brackets it was night and day. The panhard relocation stopped the kicking side to side over bumps and the control arm bracket helped with the lateral movement. Which wasn't as bad but still there. Going from stock rims and tires to 33s on heavy 22s made the problem more prominent

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Extended Length 27.05"
Compressed Length 16.6"

Dude That's a bummer with the warranty. Can't blame you for not trusting something that doesn't come with some sort of warranty. If it makes you feel better in a way King only offers 90 days on anything they sell, custom lenght or not i believe. I have yet to find anybody in any forum complaining about something that went wrong with Kings, i'm sure they're out there as nobody is perfect though, but it's not something you have to worry about much, at least witjh King, though i've also ran Icon before (1 year warranty) and Radflo (1 year warranty) and never had to use it.

Ask Nick for this Fox part# 883-24-024, This are Fox 2.5 shocks for the 2013 RAM 2500 and below, same mounts we have, plug and play in your 4th gen 1500
29.39" extended, 18.25" compressed so you won't even have to touch your bumpstops.
https://www.ridefox.com/product.php...&make=Ram&model=2500+&year=2013&position=Rear

TJAZ is running even longer ones, perfect fit, perfect valving see here:
https://www.ramforum.com/posts/2000587/

More expensive yes, you'll only pay once cry once.

As far as your question the 27" Icons will work, but I can't let you loose 3" of travel for a simple warranty :)

You’re making me rethink going with 29" Kings in the back and those Superlift springs.
Can you measure your rear fender-ground distance? you have 35's right ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TOM153

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Dude That's a bummer with the warranty. Can't blame you for not trusting something that doesn't come with some sort of warranty. If it makes you feel better in a way King only offers 90 days on anything they sell, custom lenght or not i believe. I have yet to find anybody in any forum complaining about something that went wrong with Kings, i'm sure they're out there as nobody is perfect though, but it's not something you have to worry about much, at least witjh King, though i've also ran Icon before (1 year warranty) and Radflo (1 year warranty) and never had to use it.

Ask Nick for this Fox part# 883-24-024, This are Fox 2.5 shocks for the a 2500 RAM 2500, same mounts we have, plug and play in your 1500
29.39" extended, 18.25" compressed so you won't even have to touch your bumpstops.
https://www.ridefox.com/product.php...&make=Ram&model=2500+&year=2013&position=Rear

TJAZ is running even longer ones, perfect fit, perfect valving see here:
https://www.ramforum.com/posts/2000587/

More expensive yes, you'll only pay once cry once.

As far as your question the 27" Icons will work, but I can't let you loose 3" of travel for a simple warranty.

You’re making me rethink going with 29" Kings in the back and those Superlift springs :)
Can you measure your rear fender-ground distance? you have 35's right ?

Thank you for the info I will look into it and when I get a chance I will take those measurements for you. The rear end flex is crazy with this kit that’s why I love it.

OP
OP
T

TOM153

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
With that lift did your panhard bar get relocated? Same with the control arms? Mostly the panhard though? I know going from my 2 inch that was spacers only to the zone 3 inch kit with relocation brackets it was night and day. The panhard relocation stopped the kicking side to side over bumps and the control arm bracket helped with the lateral movement. Which wasn't as bad but still there. Going from stock rims and tires to 33s on heavy 22s made the problem more prominent

This kit did not relocate the Panhard bar or the control arms but I have been thinking of upgrading my arms to core. My control arms or Panhard bar aren’t really at an extreme angle by any means but they’re not straight like they were with stock. Should I look into a relocation bracket for them or just upgrade the arms to core?

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey Ram1500rsm do you think these would work? They’re a lot cheaper and pretty much same thing. https://www.ridefox.com/product.php...&make=Ram&model=3500+&year=2016&position=Rear
Also are you saying these have the same diameter bushing for our 1500’s?

Yep i was about to post about them for you, they're listed for the old model 2500/1500 so they should fit without any problems.
I was running longer than stock Rancho rear shocks for the same model 2500 trucks in my 4th gen 1500 as well so that's how i know rear shocks for the older 2500/1500 RAMs fit like a glove in ours (i use 2013 RAM 2500 or 1500 as reference), TJAZ used that approach with Fox 2.5 with same results, so those Fox 2.0 with RES should work out for you.

Last edited:

FF1899

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This kit did not relocate the Panhard bar or the control arms but I have been thinking of upgrading my arms to core. My control arms or Panhard bar aren’t really at an extreme angle by any means but they’re not straight like they were with stock. Should I look into a relocation bracket for them or just upgrade the arms to core?
When I was running just 2 inch spacers I had that same kick because of that angle. I bought a Carli relocation bracket then ended up going zone before I installed it so it's just sitting on the shelf at this point. But even having the stock bar still it is night and day difference and that kick is gone with it relocated. That would be my first step if I was you next grab some control arms, I cant speak from experience as I want but havent go them yet.

OP
OP
T

TOM153

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I was running just 2 inch spacers I had that same kick because of that angle. I bought a Carli relocation bracket then ended up going zone before I installed it so it's just sitting on the shelf at this point. But even having the stock bar still it is night and day difference and that kick is gone with it relocated. That would be my first step if I was you next grab some control arms, I cant speak from experience as I want but havent go them yet.

Ok thank you I will definitely get that relocation bracket . Is this it?
https://carlisuspension.com/product...0/dodge-2014-1500-rear-trackbar-drop-bracket/

FF1899

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OP
OP
T

TOM153

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah that's the one. If you want it instead of waiting for them to make it and save a few bucks I'll send you mine for 60 shipped. It's still new in the box and just sitting on the shelf
Deal. Do you have paypal?