Rear end ride quality

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Not gonna lie after seeing your pics flexed out, as well as gaining the rear lift you did I'm really thinking of re doing my rear suspension. I took measurements for comparison in another thread and I only have .5-.75" of rake unloaded. 24" center of my hub to fender. Can't seem to track these coils down. But I for sure will be mimicking your setup. How do those coils handle a load in the bed??

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

TOM153

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not gonna lie after seeing your pics flexed out, as well as gaining the rear lift you did I'm really thinking of re doing my rear suspension. I took measurements for comparison in another thread and I only have .5-.75" of rake unloaded. 24" center of my hub to fender. Can't seem to track these coils down. But I for sure will be mimicking your setup. How do those coils handle a load in the bed??

I had 1300 lbs of mulch in the bed a few weeks ago and it sat perfectly level with the front. When there was a load in the bed honestly rode better than being empty lol

OP
OP
T

TOM153

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hodge-XJ I will take pics of my rear setup tonight. It’s all superlift stuff you can probably buy parts from then separately.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Hodge-XJ I will take pics of my rear setup tonight. It’s all superlift stuff you can probably buy parts from then separately.
Awesome I'd appreciate it! I have the bilstein rear coils and 5100s, went pretty basic. These coils are so soft tho I can't imagine hauling anywhere near that in the bed. I want to do a decked bed drawer setup since I normally have my tools with me for work, add in extra gear and things, plus the weight of the decked system it's self and I'll be around 500lbs easily. Even with the 6112s only at like 2.3-2.5" I'll be way nose high at that weight.

I don't get offroad alot any more but when I do id sure like the truck to work and that rear articulation is legit. Im looking now to see if I can track down these coils separate.

OP
OP
T

TOM153

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Awesome I'd appreciate it! I have the bilstein rear coils and 5100s, went pretty basic. These coils are so soft tho I can't imagine hauling anywhere near that in the bed. I want to do a decked bed drawer setup since I normally have my tools with me for work, add in extra gear and things, plus the weight of the decked system it's self and I'll be around 500lbs easily. Even with the 6112s only at like 2.3-2.5" I'll be way nose high at that weight.

I don't get offroad alot any more but when I do id sure like the truck to work and that rear articulation is legit. Im looking now to see if I can track down these coils separate.

Here are the coils
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/slf-140/

OP
OP
T

TOM153

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Holy ****! And they lifted you 2"??

Honestly I never did a before and after measurement but there was a write up on this somewhere I think on ramforumz and they guy got 2” of lift out of the Mopar kit

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Honestly I never did a before and after measurement but there was a write up on this somewhere I think on ramforumz and they guy got 2” of lift out of the Mopar kit
I'm gonna do some quick searches. I got .75 lift max out of my current coils so I could use a bit more rake for when I actually use this thing like a truck.

OP
OP
T

TOM153

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Dude That's a bummer with the warranty. Can't blame you for not trusting something that doesn't come with some sort of warranty. If it makes you feel better in a way King only offers 90 days on anything they sell, custom lenght or not i believe. I have yet to find anybody in any forum complaining about something that went wrong with Kings, i'm sure they're out there as nobody is perfect though, but it's not something you have to worry about much, at least witjh King, though i've also ran Icon before (1 year warranty) and Radflo (1 year warranty) and never had to use it.

Ask Nick for this Fox part# 883-24-024, This are Fox 2.5 shocks for the 2013 RAM 2500 and below, same mounts we have, plug and play in your 4th gen 1500
29.39" extended, 18.25" compressed so you won't even have to touch your bumpstops.
https://www.ridefox.com/product.php...&make=Ram&model=2500+&year=2013&position=Rear

TJAZ is running even longer ones, perfect fit, perfect valving see here:
https://www.ramforum.com/posts/2000587/

More expensive yes, you'll only pay once cry once.

As far as your question the 27" Icons will work, but I can't let you loose 3" of travel for a simple warranty :)

You’re making me rethink going with 29" Kings in the back and those Superlift springs.
Can you measure your rear fender-ground distance? you have 35's right ?

Just for ***** and giggles I looked up the rear shock bolts for our 1500 trucks and they are the same bolt used for all the 3500’s/2500’s so they are definitely the same mounting. I contacted nick I probably will order those shocks. Do you have any idea How will the fox shocks ride? I know you said icon was digressive i’m Guessing these aren’t?

revitupmoto33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Im running the 1.5 lift Icon Coil and the Icon 2.0 Ext resi shocks with custom valving and couldn't be happier with the setup. Runs great both on and off road even with E load 35s that are 12.7 wide. Tire pressures I run are 45-50 for street and 20-30 for dirt. Best thing I think you could do are shocks with custom valving.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just for ***** and giggles I looked up the rear shock bolts for our 1500 trucks and they are the same bolt used for all the 3500’s/2500’s so they are definitely the same mounting. I contacted nick I probably will order those shocks. Do you have any idea How will the fox shocks ride? I know you said icon was digressive i’m Guessing these aren’t?

Fox are progressive so they should feel somehow softer on the street. Keep in mind progressive or diggresive has nothing to do with how hard the shock appears to feel.
I'm not a valving guru but from some of my understading is think about how oil can be pushed by a piston inside a pipe, and you put a wall in the middle with holes that will allow that oil to flow at x speed, then in front of that wall you have another series of shims in different sizes placed in such a way to allow that oil to flow at more or less speed depending on how hard you push the oil from behind the first wall.

You want either to allow that oil to flow at max speed in one shot and slow it down faster as the oil moves in behind the first round of shims, or flow slow initially and allow it to flow faster or slower gradually to resist the amount of force of the piston pushing on the stack the oil passes through the wall and the stacks at speed. The shape of that force created by the oil flowing vs the velocity of the piston moving the oil through the ports and flowing stacks inside that tube gives you the basis for shock control and how the shock feels when you corner, or go fast through whoops or potholes or any othe condition that is causing the the shocks to cycle.

Diggresive valving has more resistance force in the low speed stack, progressive does so in the high speed stack (You have a low and high speed compression stacks on top of the shock piston) tunable to give you a different feeling/ purpose depending on what you have weight, terrain, vehicle height ,handling etc,etc. Diggressive tends to feel more sportier around corners for example because it doesn't take much force for the low speed stack to resist the velocity of the oil in the first 1-2" of travel. Progressive gives you a feeling of a cushier shock on the street for example because the piston has to move faster to so the high speed stack can slow down the flow of oil higher in the shock travel or when the shock is getting to work out. It's a lot more complicated than how it sounds :)

Will they work with 6112's ? Of course they will.
Happy shock hunting bro :)

Last edited:

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Man I need new shocks!

OP
OP
T

TOM153

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
image.jpg 14A2639C-A590-4B07-BD98-0A2A6DE90363.jpeg 1777DCB2-5296-44C2-9300-ADFCB423F1CC.jpeg Hodge-Xj here is the pictures of everything besides the shocks and the coil springs which you know of already.

Here is the pictures of the bracket that lowers the mounting point for the brake line and sway bar as well as the bump stop extension brackets that sit on the axle. Also attached is a picture of the part #’s for the items in the mopar lift.

OP
OP
T

TOM153

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Fox are progressive so they should feel somehow softer on the street. Keep in mind progressive or diggresive has nothing to do with how hard the shock appears to feel.
I'm not a valving guru but from some of my understading is think about how oil can be pushed by a piston inside a pipe, and you put a wall in the middle with holes that will allow that oil to flow at x speed, then in front of that wall you have another series of shims in different sizes placed in such a way to allow that oil to flow at more or less speed depending on how hard you push the oil from behind the first wall.

You want either to allow that oil to flow at max speed in one shot and slow it down faster as the oil moves in behind the first round of shims, or flow slow initially and allow it to flow faster or slower gradually to resist the amount of force of the piston pushing on the stack the oil passes through the wall and the stacks at speed. The shape of that force created by the oil flowing vs the velocity of the piston moving the oil through the ports and flowing stacks inside that tube gives you the basis for shock control and how the shock feels when you corner, or go fast through whoops or potholes or any othe condition that is causing the the shocks to cycle.

Diggresive valving has more resistance force in the low speed stack, progressive does so in the high speed stack (You have a low and high speed compression stacks on top of the shock piston) tunable to give you a different feeling/ purpose depending on what you have weight, terrain, vehicle height ,handling etc,etc. Diggressive tends to feel more sportier around corners for example because it doesn't take much force for the low speed stack to resist the velocity of the oil in the first 1-2" of travel. Progressive gives you a feeling of a cushier shock on the street for example because the piston has to move faster to so the high speed stack can slow down the flow of oil higher in the shock travel or when the shock is getting to work out. It's a lot more complicated than how it sounds :)

Will they work with 6112's ? Of course they will.
Happy shock hunting bro :)
Thank you i’m Really looking forward to this install I will be ordering those Fox shocks with the reservoir and I just bought that relocation bracket for my track bar and i’m Feeling optimistic on the new handling characteristics.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Thanks! Hard to tell how they did that sway bar bracket. It's crazy to think you have 3" longer shocks.

What is you hub to fender numbers.

Sorry for being a pain, you kinda threw a curveball into this all with this info, in a good way.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
And i need larger coil springs and shocks, ******** it this freaking forum is going to ruin me one day :)
Not happy with icon coils?

OP
OP
T

TOM153

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks! Hard to tell how they did that sway bar bracket. It's crazy to think you have 3" longer shocks.

What is you hub to fender numbers.

Sorry for being a pain, you kinda threw a curveball into this all with this info, in a good way.

The sway bar bracket bolts onto the original mounting place of the brake line hanger and sway bar. My measurements is from the floor to the fender is 42.5 inches and from the middle of the hub (I'm assuming that's where you wanted to measure from) to the fender is 26.5". Happy to help man I'm new to the forum and already this is great it seems like a really nice community here. I used the facebook Ram group for a while but people on there are assholes honestly.