Rear end ride quality

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TOM153

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2017 Ram 1500 Night edition with the mopar 2” lift kit that consists of front 2.8” Bilstein 5100’s, rear custom length 5125’s, rear bump stop extension, rear sway bar extensions, and rear superlift variable rate lifted coils. I installed the mopar kit about a year and a half ago and about 4 months ago I installed 35” nitto ridge grapplers. This is where problems started to become apparent. When I first installed this kit it rode great but now that I have bigger tires on my ride is very choppy in the back. You can feel every little bump in your seat. It definitely feels like it’s coming from the rear. This biggest issue has become when accelerating and hitting big pot holes the whole vehicle jumps to the right or left it’s kinda scary like you like control for a minute. Things I’ve tried to do to fix the problem is mess with the air pressure which I current sit at about 36 for the rear unloaded. I added a Hellwig rear sway bar and nothing has seemed to help. Anyone have issues like this after lifting?

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What's the custom lenght on those 5125's ? You could change to Fox 2.0 or Icon 2.0 and keep that lenght for not a lot more of what you'll pay for those 5125's and see if you like that valving better.
Both options can be revalved and if you get them from somebody that can tune shocks, (Accutune offroad for example) you might be able to call them ask them for a different valving right before they get your door. That service may or may not be free but well worth it depending on your needs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TOM153

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have to look it up I will post back in an hour or 2 with those specs but what it sounds like your saying is this normal handling characteristics?

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Normal will depend on how big those potholes are :) but a heavier shock valving will give you more rebound control over them.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Yea, mine does it with the 5100s as well. Was way worse with my 315s before I dropped back to stock size. That's alot of unsprung weight for a 46mm body shock to handle. They have wayyy too much rebound damping in them and they seem to "pack down" as they can't keep up with the suspensions movement and it feels like it's skipping and slamming in the back. I'll be upgrading to some icon 2.0 shocks here in the not so distant future.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

TOM153

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok so this is right off the website for my 5125’s.
Part # 33-185569
Collapsed length: 17.91 inches
Extended length: 29.70 inches
Compression @0.52m/s: 700
Rebound @0.52m/s: 2550

I will have to check out a different brand I guess but I was just under the truck and was changing the rear upper spring isolators because they were making a little noise and I noticed my driver side rear spring looks pretty bent and i’m Wondering if it’s contributing to my ride.... here is a picture of them back to back

F9A53A7F-7488-4437-9E05-1E0213389EF5.jpeg

OP
OP
T

TOM153

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Would the fox 2.0 perform a lot better? i noticed there are 2.0's and 2.5's would the 2.5's be overkill? i do off road it's most on the beach.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Check out ram1500rsm build thread as well as Bruiserram. They both have touched base on a few things that will pertain to your setup. The 5125s aren't anything great, just a generic shock off the 5100 platform with a small resi. They aren't bad but as you experience they aren't great either. Hit up @Nick@GotExhaust for some price quotes he has the hook for some chit. I'd look at icon as they are digressive and should ride well.

Careful as this becomes a slippery slope again! [emoji16] let's see a pic of the truck btw

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Would the fox 2.0 perform a lot better? i noticed there are 2.0's and 2.5's would the 2.5's be overkill? i do off road it's most on the beach.
If you're gonna jump that big in a shock than yoir front will feel noticeably worse. Unless you're mobbing offroad at higher speeds you won't u lock their full potential. Not that they won't ride awesome on road, but you don't need them per se. It's hard to describe how big shocks ride differently, if you have a chance see if you can get a ride in a truck setup with big 2.5" shocks and you'll understand. They are a different animal.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Ok so this is right off the website for my 5125’s.
Part # 33-185569
Collapsed length: 17.91 inches
Extended length: 29.70 inches
Compression @0.52m/s: 700
Rebound @0.52m/s: 2550

I will have to check out a different brand I guess but I was just under the truck and was changing the rear upper spring isolators because they were making a little noise and I noticed my driver side rear spring looks pretty bent and i’m Wondering if it’s contributing to my ride.... here is a picture of them back to back

View attachment 168459
Btw, that coil bend is "bow". Common with coils. When you install them twist the coil in its mount and see if you can minimize the bow in it when you put weight on it. I just installed, raised Jack, check the bow, lower down, twist raise up and check again until I was content they weren't bowed much and than buttoned the truck back up. It's a bit tedious more than anything.

The noise you hear could be the top coil winds touching each other as well.

OP
OP
T

TOM153

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Btw, that coil bend is "bow". Common with coils. When you install them twist the coil in its mount and see if you can minimize the bow in it when you put weight on it. I just installed, raised Jack, check the bow, lower down, twist raise up and check again until I was content they weren't bowed much and than buttoned the truck back up. It's a bit tedious more than anything.

Ok thank you for the input. I will talk to nick and see what are my options but here’s my truck and some shots of me getting some flex in. I also have new Bilstein 6112’s that I recently bought but I will be installing this weekend.

DEE2982B-3E56-4874-BEA8-FBC6985265C7.jpeg

1D056B37-CB59-4A16-BB48-A8F7D38B75F7.jpeg

FFF58B1F-01D6-4D27-9F7D-6E3852B29E3A.jpeg

103A925A-739D-4D96-BBC9-03A7A3D244CE.jpeg

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Ok thank you for the input. I will talk to nick and see what are my options but here’s my truck and some shots of me getting some flex in. I also have new Bilstein 6112’s that I recently bought but I will be installing this weekend.

View attachment 168460

View attachment 168461

View attachment 168462

View attachment 168463
That changes the plot a bit bud!, I'd definitely look at icon 2.0 shocks. I have the 6112s and you'll be happy with the upgrade over the 5100s. They are digressive valved as are the bilsteins which is why we mention them, they will balance well.

Truck looks good!!! How far upstate are ya? I'm in jerzzzz

OP
OP
T

TOM153

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That changes the plot a bit bud!, I'd definitely look at icon 2.0 shocks. I have the 6112s and you'll be happy with the upgrade over the 5100s. They are digressive valved as are the bilsteins which is why we mention them, they will balance well.

Truck looks good!!! How far upstate are ya? I'm in jerzzzz

Everywhere I read people really like their 6112's. I ordered them back in October but they were on back-order so I waited until February and they still never shipped so i said forget it. Three months later and I wanted them again so I ordered them and they shipped next day go figure Haha. Do you have any idea if the icons come in custom lengths? The reason why there is 5125's and not 5100's is because the Mopar lift has extended sway bar brackets for the extra flex so i don't think those 0-1" ones would help since I have a 2" lift in the back. I actually live on Long Island but my friend has property upstate which is where I took those snow pictures.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hodge has summed up everything so nothing else to add :)
Do you have a part for those rear springs? did you by any chance measure the free lenght on those springs ? who spec'd the shocks ? or that is how it comes from the Mopar 2" kit ? that's astonishing long for 2"... damn.
In any case, stock shocks are around 25.50" extended 16.50 compressed (14 crew cab express at least), so at 29.50" you're 4" above stock. You added 2" bumpstops ?

Icons 2.0 , part#216524, off the shelve are 27" extended, 16.6 compressed, You can call Icon and ask them for a custom lenght same or similar to your current shocks.
Icon also offers same shock with a reservoir that would give you more control if you tell Icon what you're experiencing now and what you want out of your rear suspension. part number for the off the shelve application with the reservoir is 216524R, revitupmoto33 run those in his 1500 CC and he's got a heavy setup with a cap, solar panel, water tanks and some other goodies and he's giving them hell in the dirt without a sweat on 35's, You'll have more lenght customization out of the model with the reservoir just because the IFP is located outside the main shock. and you'll be able to run them harder for longer. More money but trust us when we tell you well worth it. You wont believe the difference those 6112's will make in the front and a good valved 2.0 shock with res will do for the back, Icons are diggresive so should match your 6112's diggrsive front.

BDS have Fox 2.0 part# 98224758, 28.00 16.60
And part# 98224759, 30.05 18.45

Zone also have Fox 2.0
Zone-Fox 2.0 (Adventure) 98450757 Rear 27.95 17.36
Zone-Fox 2.0 (Adventure) 98450759 rear 30.05 18.46

That may work for you, if you can run 29" extended now maybe an extra inch will work but you'll have to check, these are their options for their 4-6" lifts.

All of these shocks will make a nice difference from what you have now in the back, but the Icons with res valved a little heavy will allow you to bash the truck, there is a big difference and it all comes from the valving and the external IFP.

Hope you have fun my friend :)

OP
OP
T

TOM153

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hodge has summed up everything so nothing else to add :)
Do you have a part for those rear springs? did you by any chance measure the free lenght on those springs ? who spec'd the shocks ? or that is how it comes from the Mopar 2" kit ? that's astonishing long for 2"... damn.
In any case, stock shocks are around 25.50" extended 16.50 compressed (14 crew cab express at least), so at 29.50" you're 4" above stock. You added 2" bumpstops ?

Icons 2.0 , part#216524, off the shelve are 27" extended, 16.6 compressed, You can call Icon and ask them for a custom lenght same or similar to your current shocks.
Icon also offers same shock with a reservoir that would give you more control if you tell Icon what you're experiencing now and what you want out of your rear suspension. part number for the off the shelve application with the reservoir is 216524R, revitupmoto33 run those in his 1500 CC and he's got a heavy setup with a cap, solar panel, water tanks and some other goodies and he's giving them hell in the dirt without a sweat on 35's, You'll have more lenght customization out of the model with the reservoir just because the IFP is located outside the main shock. and you'll be able to run them harder for longer. More money but trust us when we tell you well worth it. You wont believe the difference those 6112's will make in the front and a good valved 2.0 shock with res will do for the back, Icons are diggresive so should match your 6112's diggrsive front.

BDS have Fox 2.0 part# 98224758, 28.00 16.60
And part# 98224759, 30.05 18.45

Zone also have Fox 2.0
Zone-Fox 2.0 (Adventure) 98450757 Rear 27.95 17.36
Zone-Fox 2.0 (Adventure) 98450759 rear 30.05 18.46

That may work for you, if you can run 29" extended now maybe an extra inch will work but you'll have to check, these are their options for their 4-6" lifts.

All of these shocks will make a nice difference from what you have now in the back, but the Icons with res valved a little heavy will allow you to bash the truck, there is a big difference and it all comes from the valving and the external IFP.

Hope you have fun my friend :)

Part # for year springs are called Superlift 140 coils. The Shocks came with my Mopar 2" kit and yes the kit also came with extended bump stops. Someone told me these shocks are good for the 6" lift kits but i don't really know anything about them other than they came with the Mopar kit. Also Are the mounts all the same size? When I search custom shocks they don't mention anything about the bushing size or eyelet size or whatever you call them. I know when I got these 5125's they came with new bushings and sleeves i had to change them out to fit my truck.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Part # for year springs are called Superlift 140 coils. The Shocks came with my Mopar 2" kit and yes the kit also came with extended bump stops. Someone told me these shocks are good for the 6" lift kits but i don't really know anything about them other than they came with the Mopar kit. Also Are the mounts all the same size? When I search custom shocks they don't mention anything about the bushing size or eyelet size or whatever you call them. I know when I got these 5125's they came with new bushings and sleeves i had to change them out to fit my truck.
Yep if you check specs on the 5-6" shocks for the 1500 you'll find very similar numers extended and compressed. Eye% the springs you have seem to have 3 extra coils for example compared to my Icons so that explains how you can run even longer shocks. very nice find for offroad performance. What's your measurement to fender edge with those and your 35's in the back?

In any case all the part numbers listed will work with your factory RAM shock mounts. I think Bruiser mentioned he had to do something with a bracket to fit the Icons but i don't remember exactly what it was, i don't think it was related to changing shock bushing/sleeves. My Kings 2.5 for example were plug and play, but King included a sleeve you add to the shock eyetlet to space out the shock dependig if you're installing driver or passenger side.

bruiserRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I think Bruiser mentioned he had to do something with a bracket to fit the Icons but i don't remember exactly what it was, i don't think it was related to changing shock bushing/sleeves.

This is correct, and Icon mentions it in their instructions as well. The frame bracket mount (the upper one) needs to be ground away a bit to fit the Icons, because the shock body will hit it. Not very much, but some.

The shock doesn't need to be modified.

Apparently, this doesn't always need to be done. Depends on your truck.

bruiserRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

All this is truth.

I've spent...a LOT...of time under the rear end of my pickemup truck, raising, fiddling with the coils, lowering, over and over, until I THINK it's bowing less than before...then I put the tires back on, and dammit if it doesn't look MORE bowed now...so I do it again.

Beer helps. :happy160:

I even bought brand new rubber isolators...they seemed to make it worse so I put the originals back on.

Ha. I've accepted the slight bow at this point. With the rear raised 1.5" the axle is no longer directly below the upper spring seat...and it probably never was in the first place.

And yes, they click like crazy. I've come to think of it fondly, like it's the sound of a real baja racing truck. ha.

FF1899

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Everywhere I read people really like their 6112's. I ordered them back in October but they were on back-order so I waited until February and they still never shipped so i said forget it. Three months later and I wanted them again so I ordered them and they shipped next day go figure Haha. Do you have any idea if the icons come in custom lengths? The reason why there is 5125's and not 5100's is because the Mopar lift has extended sway bar brackets for the extra flex so i don't think those 0-1" ones would help since I have a 2" lift in the back. I actually live on Long Island but my friend has property upstate which is where I took those snow pictures.
I have the icon 2.0 they are listed 0-3 inch lift. I have them on 3 inches and they ride and handle great. Only thing you have to do is trim the tab mounts at the top because of the size of the shock body (a few passes with the angle grinder and it was good to go) it is right in the direction if you choose to read and only took about 5 min on each side and a quick paint