Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
I have a few questions I'll shoot you tomorrow. Currently ordering parts I busted today on the shake down run.

Btw these 6112s are freaking awesome, I put themthroough some nasty **** all day and they didn't miss a beat. Wheeled hard all day and I'm not fatigued at all. The rear suspension in these trucks flexs like a *******. Just wait, you'll be grinning when you unlock all the capability these trucks are hiding.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
K

Kyle McWilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a few questions I'll shoot you tomorrow. Currently ordering parts I busted today on the shake down run.

Btw these 6112s are freaking awesome, I put themthroough some nasty **** all day and they didn't miss a beat. Wheeled hard all day and I'm not fatigued at all. The rear suspension in these trucks flexs like a *******. Just wait, you'll be grinning when you unlock all the capability these trucks are hiding.

Definitely interested in any and all regarding the new bumper

Feel free to ask whatever questions you like. I will post more photos as soon as ive got everything linex'd and hung on the truck.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Does this bumper reuse oem hooks?

OP
OP
K

Kyle McWilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Does this bumper reuse oem hooks?

It does not use OEM hooks and i do not think there is any possible way you could install it with oem hooks without doing the upper bumper only and foregoing the lower skid plate.

There are no dedicated recovery points on this bumper.

The OEM hooks attach to the bottom of the frame extensions and i believe they also bolt to the backside of the bumper mounts at the front of the frame. The tubular skid plate frame uses both those locations with this bumper. I drew a line where the oem hooks would be if i had them. The instructions specifically say if you have them, to remove and discard. I dont think you could cut slots and run them even if you wanted them, they would interfere with the lower skidplate brackets.

Screenshot_20190312-193934_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
It does not use OEM hooks and i do not think there is any possible way you could install it with oem hooks without doing the upper bumper only and foregoing the lower skid plate.

There are no dedicated recovery points on this bumper.
Well that's facked, no winch and no tow points equals a stuck as **** truck. I'm foregoing messing with my difs and I'm gonna figure skid plates out this summer, thoughts being I'll drag this fat pig with a winch over the **** she won't climb under its own power.

OP
OP
K

Kyle McWilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well that's facked, no winch and no tow points equals a stuck as **** truck. I'm foregoing messing with my difs and I'm gonna figure skid plates out this summer, thoughts being I'll drag this fat pig with a winch over the **** she won't climb under its own power.

I edited last post with more info.

I was a bit uneasy choosing a bumper with no recovery points and no winch mount, but i dont do any hardcore wheeling and all the times ive gotten stuck could have been solved with more ground to frame clearance (adjustable struts, not a bracket lift kit) and more front bumper clearance.

So for me this did the trick for now and out of the prerunner bumpers i found, i like the look of this one the best. I was also looking at the ADD Stealth, which similarly doesnt have recovery points or a winch mount. The ADD would have meant I'd have to buy and paint the upper portion of the bumper that comes on all the non-sport trucks, and it has a wimpy looking skid plate, and it pokes out a weird amount off the front of the truck for the design of it. Not sure why they didnt make it flush with the upper bumper that is retained. Also, the ADD is more expensive.

Jason is a fella on youtube that has the big snazzy 2009 SEMA ram with a custom front prerunner bumper that i loveee, but its a one-off. He doesnt have recovery points or a winch either. Although he just bought a winch for it and hes going to fab a tray for it so im watching for that video to come out soon.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins

I was a bit uneasy choosing a bumper with no recovery points and no winch mount, but i dont do any hardcore wheeling and all the times ive gotten stuck could have been solved with more ground to frame clearance (adjustable struts, not a bracket lift kit) and more front bumper clearance.

So for me this did the trick for now and out of the prerunner bumpers i found, i like the look of this one the best. I was also looking at the ADD Stealth, which similarly doesnt have recovery points or a winch mount. The ADD would have meant I'd have to buy and paint the upper portion of the bumper that comes on all the non-sport trucks, and it has a wimpy looking skid plate, and it pokes out a weird amount off the front of the truck for the design of it. Not sure why they didnt make it flush with the upper bumper that is retained. Also, the ADD is more expensive.

Jason is a fella on youtube that has the big snazzy 2009 SEMA ram with a custom front prerunner bumper that i loveee, but its a one-off. He doesnt have recovery points or a winch either. Although he just bought a winch for it and hes going to fab a tray for it so im watching for that video to come out soon.
Ahhh auto edits jason. I love that truck. I've been reading Peterson's since as long as I can remember. Started this addiction at an early age. I don't go hardcore per se, but enough that it warrants preparedness. Skids, sliders, bumpers, winch, low lift and the biggest tires I can fit. The basics I guess. This truck surprised me this weekend, enough that I have no hesitation running it until I can replace it with a dedicated trail rig I tow to the offroad parks. Than I'll just drop tire size to accommodate towing.

Like you said with a little lift, which I already have, and some bigger tires, which I'll have 315s on this week hopefully, these trucks go pretty much wherever you can fit them. I want a winch more so because I find myself using them for everything. It's funny what you can accomplish with some crafty block rigging. As for skids and sliders, they just protect the expensive bits for when I go full redneck and do something dumb, which is a common occurrence.

I really like the way your bumper looks, it was actually my top choice, but I don't want to modify something I spend a decent buck on to fit my wants and needs. My second choice is the body armor. Similar price point, decent clearances, and looks ok. I'm not kidding if I ever get the opportunity I'm starting an aftermarket ram company. There's **** for options and what we do have is $$

OP
OP
K

Kyle McWilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ahhh auto edits jason. I love that truck. I've been reading Peterson's since as long as I can remember. Started this addiction at an early age. I don't go hardcore per se, but enough that it warrants preparedness. Skids, sliders, bumpers, winch, low lift and the biggest tires I can fit. The basics I guess. This truck surprised me this weekend, enough that I have no hesitation running it until I can replace it with a dedicated trail rig I tow to the offroad parks. Than I'll just drop tire size to accommodate towing.

Like you said with a little lift, which I already have, and some bigger tires, which I'll have 315s on this week hopefully, these trucks go pretty much wherever you can fit them. I want a winch more so because I find myself using them for everything. It's funny what you can accomplish with some crafty block rigging. As for skids and sliders, they just protect the expensive bits for when I go full redneck and do something dumb, which is a common occurrence.

I really like the way your bumper looks, it was actually my top choice, but I don't want to modify something I spend a decent buck on to fit my wants and needs. My second choice is the body armor. Similar price point, decent clearances, and looks ok. I'm not kidding if I ever get the opportunity I'm starting an aftermarket ram company. There's **** for options and what we do have is $$

I'm not big on the look of the body armor one, and the fact that it uses the upper bumper piece (that i dont already have per the sport bumper) broke it for me. I wanted something that sits higher as well, to improve approach and show off some big boots later. The body armor is highly functional compared to the westin, if youre happy with the look i say jump on that one.

I had to chop mine up just to get some flares on, which was upsetting but the fact that i now have something that no one else has is a nifty concept and a bit redeeming to me.

I'm glad i could shed some more light on the westin for people too, since i pulled the trigger on it with very little info myself.

There is definitely some money to be made on the ram aftermarket, those damn tacoma and f150 guys get all the cool toys. It seems like whenever someone offers ram parts, they're not quite right and they cost your first born. I will keep a close eye on some HodgeCo e-lockers for the ZF and maybe some HodgeCo prerunner bumpers haha. Maybe you could do some HodgeCo hydraulic bump stops since absolutely no one seems to offer those either.

bruiserRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
WTF to the companies not making a bumper with recovery points...or the ability to use the stock hook. Jeeze. Makes me crazy.

I've been almost buying an ICI Baja series bumper for months and months now...but haven't...largely because there are no recovery points...and the clearance to mount the OEM tow hook is EXTREMELY close with the bumper on. If the bumper mounts PERFECTLY centered, they will fit. If not, they will not clear the flange on the bumper's lower mounting bracket.

That said, customer service for ICI is top notch, providing me with a multitude of measurements and data, even with pictures, via email.

OP
OP
K

Kyle McWilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
WTF to the companies not making a bumper with recovery points...or the ability to use the stock hook. Jeeze. Makes me crazy.

I've been almost buying an ICI Baja series bumper for months and months now...but haven't...largely because there are no recovery points...and the clearance to mount the OEM tow hook is EXTREMELY close with the bumper on. If the bumper mounts PERFECTLY centered, they will fit. If not, they will not clear the flange on the bumper's lower mounting bracket.

That said, customer service for ICI is top notch, providing me with a multitude of measurements and data, even with pictures, via email.

The problem with putting baja parts on your truck and not living in desert country is that nobody really needs winches or tow hooks to race in wide open deserts. Just lotssss and lots of clearance and suspension travel. Westin has got a bunch of pictures of people airborne with the outlaw bumper (no rams though).

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
The problem with putting baja parts on your truck and not living in desert country is that nobody really needs winches or tow hooks to race in wide open deserts. Just lotssss and lots of clearance and suspension travel. Westin has got a bunch of pictures of people airborne with the outlaw bumper (no rams though).
Our problems really are the fact that our expectations aren't met by available aftermarket parts. Yotas and jeeps have it all and we see it and want a slice of the pie. It's not that it's impossible to make an aesthetic, strong, high clearance bumper that's winch and recovery capable, it's that most companies have taken the easy route which cuts corners for what we want. I could do it, but my time anymore is better spent at work or working on my house. So the question is where do we compromise. Someone needs to just pay me and I'll build **** for the forum members.

I agree the body guard looks a bit hokey in the few pics I've seen, and I wasn't too keen on it retaining the upper plastics, but every other winch capable bumper I've seen is either a million bucks, or absolutely hideous. I thought about a rebel bumper swap, as I don't totally hate the looks, but for the cost it's not worth it. A hidden winch is cool, until you're buried in a hole and can't exactly get to it because it's tucked back so far.

Man I sound like such a primadonna with 1st world issues. I'll wear boots with tie wire laces, and pants with duct tape holding them together at work, and I'll eat a sandwich with **** bits in it, but I won't put a bumper on my truck because it doesn't fit my idea......*****

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is why I’ve turned my eyes away from the mainstream aftermarket bumpers options we have, even the $2k ADD doesn’t have recovery points, I think there is one with a winch but no provision for front schackles The Minatour had a skid and factory tow hooks but no winch, but that least left your front recovery points intact, whatever I get will have a winch plate, front recovery points and a skid from the LCAs crosmembers to the front of the bumper, prerunner style which none of the aftermarket option available have. I have no intentions of giving away $2k on something it doesn’t have everything I need. I’ll be going custom with a local builder, trying to put a little money together and that will also mean I’ll have to drive the truck without the factory bumper for a little while, I’m not paying extra to have it dismounted :)

MidwestExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L

I have the ADD Stealth front bumper. I don't necessarily disagree with some of the criticisms you have, however, I do like the bumper for what it is and what I wanted. I think you're referring to the ADD "Lite" bumper that needs to have the upper bumper valance to work with. The "Stealth" requires the non Sport/Express bumper to remove both the upper and lower bumper valances - with the Sport/Express, you remove the whole piece.

OP
OP
K

Kyle McWilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the ADD Stealth front bumper. I don't necessarily disagree with some of the criticisms you have, however, I do like the bumper for what it is and what I wanted. I think you're referring to the ADD "Lite" bumper that needs to have the upper bumper valance to work with. The "Stealth" requires the non Sport/Express bumper to remove both the upper and lower bumper valances - with the Sport/Express, you remove the whole piece.

I stand corrected. I was referring to the lite version.

MidwestExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
I stand corrected. I was referring to the lite version.

Yeah, I liked the Lite more than the Stealth actually (price as well) - but had the same issue you mentioned that I would've of needed to install and paint an upper bumper valence to go with it and I didn't want to do that so I went with the Stealth.

Side note, I love the new ADD bumper for the 2019s. It's not cheap, but it looks really clean and has recovery points with a winch option.

OP
OP
K

Kyle McWilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah, I liked the Lite more than the Stealth actually (price as well) - but had the same issue you mentioned that I would've of needed to install and paint an upper bumper valence to go with it and I didn't want to do that so I went with the Stealth.

Side note, I love the new ADD bumper for the 2019s. It's not cheap, but it looks really clean and has recovery points with a winch option.

Went to take a look, it is nice.

But what is THIS:
Screenshot_20190313-103748_Gallery.jpg

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
That is the holy grail of needs.

hodge-xj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
Found a pic of the body armor bumper on the diesel forum. Idk how I feel about it now.....i certainly don't have time to be fabbing **** this year, at least nothing that time consuming. Which is why I'm looking for plug and play. b61c5913881f36b774e708a989dc6021.jpgd95d5405a4c9180967248ebffc499e3d.jpg

OP
OP
K

Kyle McWilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Found a pic of the body armor bumper on the diesel forum. Idk how I feel about it now.....i certainly don't have time to be fabbing **** this year, at least nothing that time consuming. Which is why I'm looking for plug and play. b61c5913881f36b774e708a989dc6021.jpgd95d5405a4c9180967248ebffc499e3d.jpg

Damn, i thought mine stuck out kinda far. Thats obnoxious. It still checks all the boxes for functionality for you though.

Clearance... check
Recovery points... check
Winch mount... check
Looks cool... er, we dont talk about that.