Rebel or Raptor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pridemore54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am at a cross roads. I bought my '18 Rebel in January or February of this year. First new vehicle I have ever owned. It currently has 6k miles and here are the issues have had come up thus far.

(Please note that my dealership has been helping as much as they can and treating me well.)

- Heated seats don't warm up properly. Barely make it to body temperature so it doesn't feel warm really.
They have replaced just about everything to try and make it work.

- Cruise control stops working intermittently. When I hit the button to turn it on, it acts as if I hit the gear down button above it and gears the truck down, setting it into manual mode.

- Blend doors creak and crack on every start up. Its a hard grinding noise deep inside the dash on every startup. Praying it's just the Gears or actuators but if its the doors themselves the whole dash will have to be taken apart for repair.

- Windshield started whistling super loud at highway speeds. They looked once so far and haven't found why.

- My Bluetooth music starts skipping like a bad CD. Fairly minor issue cause when I hit pause and play again the skipping goes away for a while. Just kind of embarrassing when I have other people with me in my new truck that has a 55k price tag.

I have one other issue I cant recall off the top of my head at the moment but I keep a list inside my truck because I cant remember all the problems I keep having. Most of these wouldn't even bother me so much if it wasn't a brand new vehicle with a 55k sticker.

Moving on to the whole point of this thread, there is a beautiful low mile 2014 Raptor at the same dealership. I am considering letting the dealership buy my Rebel back and taking the Raptor if I have any more issues. Of course this is assuming they will do the right thing and give me a good deal. I know my dealers are feeling the heat with these issues cause every time I'm there getting it worked on they come up and talk to me about how it sucks my **** keeps acting up.

With all that said, I'm just stuck on what I should do if the decision actually comes up. I love my Rebel. Especially the interior and infotainment center compared to the Raptor. My rebel is also completely loaded minus sunroof and rambox (didn't want them). Just looking for some unbiased opinions on what you would do and if you think these issues don't warrant looking for a whole new truck. Dealers have already mentioned my patience far out weighs most peoples so far. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pridemore54

pridemore54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dropping the truck off Wednesday next week to hopefully fix all the stuff listed above. I told them I cant stand the little dodge neon rentals anymore and I want to try driving the Raptor to see if I even like it or not compared to my Rebel. They agreed to let me have it for one day.

Crawgator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Sorry to hear of all your issues. I can say I don't blame you for looking at something else. My 2017 Rebel just turned 18K miles and zero issues. That's way to early to have all the issues that you have. No matter what you do, you need to do what's best for you to have peace of mind. Good luck!!

PowerWagonAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sucks that you're having all these issues. I have 6K on my truck and it's trouble free, other than I can't get panties off the truck fast enough!! Woman just love these trucks!

I don't think the Raptor and Rebel are a fair comparison but I will say given the choice - I'd probably start with the Rebel. Even though the Raptor is more of a beefier truck. Better stance, and has great suspension. But.. the Ford falls short all other places. Motor, interior, dependability (even though you probably don't agree with that at this time)

Hope things work out. Love to see people that don't just start bashing a brand and want money or other things. Just fix the things that you brought up - move and and love the truck! :)

Exdeus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Cummins
In my opinion you just need to decide on what you want. They are built for different purposes and the Rebel is more of a comparison to the Ford FX-4 package than the Raptor. In my opinion, for what I would use it for, I would go with the Raptor. With that said, I was looking at the Rebel versus a standard 1500 and went with the standard as I want to do my own modifications on the suspension and will abuse it pretty heavily and didn't want the reliability and repair risk of the air suspension. The Raptor was also out of my price range for anything remotely new anyways.

Sorry to hear about the issues and hope it works out for you!

Hawkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I hope they are able to fix your Rebel and make you a happy owner again. Saying that, I went away from Ford years ago, I had a F-150 Lightning that I had issue after issue with. The dealer finally got tired of me bringing it back and bought from me. Like you I showed a lot of patience and was never an ass when I took it in for an issue. I believe that is one of the reasons they worked with me, and didn't try to put me in another Ford.

Good luck and lets us know the outcome.

OP
OP
pridemore54

pridemore54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you for the support and opinions guys. I guess I should bring up why I have considered both trucks so closely since they aren't technically in the same class.

I'm a huge "race" car kinda guy. I've owned 3 mustangs and the last one was a 2008 gt500 with over 700hp. I loved that car but my daily was a POS 99 Jeep that kept breaking on me and I finally decided to be an adult (Still a child that loves his toys at 23) and sold both of those to buy a proper truck for a daily and to tow my next "fun" car which will likely be a cobra of some kind. I'm pretty open minded with vehicles and pretty much the only brand I never consider is Honda lol.

I'm a real sucker for good looking "special edition" vehicles and I really loved all the luxuries the Rebel has over the Raptor which was the driving reason for my decision to go with it. Especially after I found the "blue streak" color and fell in love with it with all the black trim. I honestly would probably prefer to keep my Rebel but if these stupid things take forever to get fixed and more keep popping up, this 2014 ruby red raptor with seemingly all options and 30k miles is pretty tempting. However if they were to sell it before I make my decision, I probably wouldn't go out of my way to look for another.

Last edited:

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My '16 Reb, with almost 28K miles, hasn't had any issues, either, and while I know this doesn't necessarily help you, OP, I think the key to keeping any new vehicle in top shape is a great dealer. Find one and build a relationship with a good service advisor; your life will improve tremendously! I'd say only after you've exhausted those steps without satisfaction should you try to get out of the Rebel, unless you're just tired of it all. I definitely understand that, too.

TXCOMT

OP
OP
pridemore54

pridemore54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My '16 Reb, with almost 28K miles, hasn't had any issues, either, and while I know this doesn't necessarily help you, OP, I think the key to keeping any new vehicle in top shape is a great dealer. Find one and build a relationship with a good service advisor; your life will improve tremendously! I'd say only after you've exhausted those steps without satisfaction should you try to get out of the Rebel, unless you're just tired of it all. I definitely understand that, too.

TXCOMT
At this point I'm on a first name basis with the service advisors and the mechanics. They all love the truck as much as I do. I also understand its as much of a pain in the ass for them to do the warranty work as it is for me. We go over plans with it together and figure out angles of attack with it. My dealer is a great no BS kind of guy as well so there is definitely a good relationship here between all of us including the GM. The GM came to my house personally to appraise my GT500 since it was winter and I wasn't gonna drive it to the dealer yet. Just a ****** circumstance at the moment.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I am at a cross roads. I bought my '18 Rebel in January or February of this year. First new vehicle I have ever owned. It currently has 6k miles and here are the issues have had come up thus far.

(Please note that my dealership has been helping as much as they can and treating me well.)

- Heated seats don't warm up properly. Barely make it to body temperature so it doesn't feel warm really.
They have replaced just about everything to try and make it work.

- Cruise control stops working intermittently. When I hit the button to turn it on, it acts as if I hit the gear down button above it and gears the truck down, setting it into manual mode.

- Blend doors creak and crack on every start up. Its a hard grinding noise deep inside the dash on every startup. Praying it's just the Gears or actuators but if its the doors themselves the whole dash will have to be taken apart for repair.

- Windshield started whistling super loud at highway speeds. They looked once so far and haven't found why.

- My Bluetooth music starts skipping like a bad CD. Fairly minor issue cause when I hit pause and play again the skipping goes away for a while. Just kind of embarrassing when I have other people with me in my new truck that has a 55k price tag.

I have one other issue I cant recall off the top of my head at the moment but I keep a list inside my truck because I cant remember all the problems I keep having. Most of these wouldn't even bother me so much if it wasn't a brand new vehicle with a 55k sticker.

Moving on to the whole point of this thread, there is a beautiful low mile 2014 Raptor at the same dealership. I am considering letting the dealership buy my Rebel back and taking the Raptor if I have any more issues. Of course this is assuming they will do the right thing and give me a good deal. I know my dealers are feeling the heat with these issues cause every time I'm there getting it worked on they come up and talk to me about how it sucks my **** keeps acting up.

With all that said, I'm just stuck on what I should do if the decision actually comes up. I love my Rebel. Especially the interior and infotainment center compared to the Raptor. My rebel is also completely loaded minus sunroof and rambox (didn't want them). Just looking for some unbiased opinions on what you would do and if you think these issues don't warrant looking for a whole new truck. Dealers have already mentioned my patience far out weighs most peoples so far. Thanks in advance.

Stick with Ram!! They're a well better built. I'm sure all your issues will be fixed. And it's under the B2B warranty.
(1) Have the dealer replace the seats
(2) The cruise control is a recall issue and possibly a vacuum leak.
If you continue having problems contact @ramcares on the forum here. They will take awesome care of you

I Love my 18 Ram 2500 4x4 CC U.S.M.C.(ret) CPL

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
That bites, sorry to hear.

Hope they take care of everything for you

Raptor is a nice truck, but agree it is apples and oranges

Just saw a new one for 70K .........

Punishher7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Keep in mind the raptor is more equivalent to the PW in that they are both “specialty” trucks. The rebel is more less equivalent to a Z71 or FX4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
pridemore54

pridemore54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Keep in mind the raptor is more equivalent to the PW in that they are both “specialty” trucks. The rebel is more less equivalent to a Z71 or FX4.

While I understand what you mean, for the things I will be using them for, they are essentially equal in my eyes. Actually the Rebel is the better competitor for the things I will use it with.

These things include:
Towing a single vehicle on a trailer, daily to work which is about a 5 min drive, and harsh winter capabilities (Iowa for reference). Also just a nice strong daily to hold me over till I buy my next fun car. I don't go out of my way to off road unless I need to. So I like to have the capabilities but I'm a stickler about keeping my 20k+ vehicles in good/clean condition. I know that's probably a minority opinion around here but its the reality for my vehicles.

OP
OP
pridemore54

pridemore54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here is a couple pictures of my truck with the Raptor I'm considering just for reference. Red isn't my favorite color but this ruby red is pretty awesome with the black on this truck. And I'm not a fan of the shades of blue that are available on the Raptors so this might be my preferred color.

27606088_10210425029532986_587033324_o.jpg 27537683_10210425029572987_240469222_o.jpg

Punishher7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Both are great looking trucks. The raptor in all honesty is in a different league though. There is literally almost no one that needs a raptor or PW as a DD. They are novelty vehicles for the most part. I know my PW is. It sounds like your rebel fits your needs. I really hope they are able to make it right so you can enjoy it.

OP
OP
pridemore54

pridemore54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update: Apparently there's a common issue with window grease getting on ram windows when its hot out after you roll them down. All four of my windows have huge grease marks all the way across them. Honestly isn't that big of a deal except its on the inside and my young dog rides with me a ton and I don't want her licking this grease clean off and getting sick. Not to mention the vet bills. Getting annoyed with all of this. I just want to enjoy my awesome truck.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
@ramcares should be involved, OP. They can help you and your dealer get you back into a Ram happy dance.

There is one comparison that no one has brought up yet, and it has everything to do with convenience. Compare the interior space (useable space) between the two. My younger brother has 2 little kids and ****** and moans because his mighty raptor can't manage the space. Ram crew cab (pick your trim) for the win!

Raptor

Ford-Raptor-November-4.jpg

and the Rebel

rebel.jpeg

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update: Apparently there's a common issue with window grease getting on ram windows when its hot out after you roll them down. All four of my windows have huge grease marks all the way across them. Honestly isn't that big of a deal except its on the inside and my young dog rides with me a ton and I don't want her licking this grease clean off and getting sick. Not to mention the vet bills. Getting annoyed with all of this. I just want to enjoy my awesome truck.

Train the pup not to lick the windows, then! Seriously, though, if you want to find something wrong with either ride, you will. Just get what you want and be done with it...very few of our truck-buying decisions are based in logic, I bet! In my case, that's definitely true; do I really need a Rebel for my suburban commute? No, but it's a heck of a truck!

TXCOMT

OP
OP
pridemore54

pridemore54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@ramcares should be involved, OP. They can help you and your dealer get you back into a Ram happy dance.

There is one comparison that no one has brought up yet, and it has everything to do with convenience. Compare the interior space (useable space) between the two. My younger brother has 2 little kids and ****** and moans because his mighty raptor can't manage the space. Ram crew cab (pick your trim) for the win!
Yeah no matter what truck I get I want the Crew cab. Luckily this Raptor is the Super Crew so it's every bit as big as my rebel. Your brother likely has the Super cab