Recall No More - 5.7l Exhaust manifold bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
For sure broken bolts are covered under power train, but Ram pays dealer like $200 total to fix it, so they tend to make up things so they don't have to. I went to 2 dealers that kept giving me run around about shift solenoid, saying light has to be on. When it was on, they had to make me a appointment, by time appointment came around light was off. Eventually found a dealer to fix it under warranty.

Bldrinker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
At this point everyone with a Hemi should get free warranty replacement of the manifold bolts until at least 100,000. We know and they know that its a no questions asked manufacturing issue. Stop acting like its not FCA.

My thoughts exactly. I think we should all call and voice our thoughts to FCA on the same day and send messages to Ram Cares.

sgtryanusmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What are the symptoms? Somebody said a tick, I have been noticing a tick and been meaning to crawl under there and take a look...

OP
OP
Lifted2wd

Lifted2wd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
What are the symptoms? Somebody said a tick, I have been noticing a tick and been meaning to crawl under there and take a look...

ticking that goes away as the engine heats up. you will know, a constant light ticking could be rocker tap

sgtryanusmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like what I've got - one or the other. Seems to go away. Guess I'll be taking in to the bozos at the stealership... Mines a classic ****** service dept.

Cosmos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My truck was at 68k miles when it needed new bolts, they are Mopar specific, and crap bolts. They break inside the the hole and have to be drilled out. This a major problem that Fiat is ignoring and ****** me off. Couldn't find a comparable bolt anywhere. I have 105k miles now and think I hear the tick again......

Crusader556

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So what's the actual fix for this issue? What non-OEM bolts can be used that won't break anymore?

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
One way you can tell besides tick, is when you first start it up after sitting(engine cold) and you start to drive idle will come up high and seem odd, then within 30 seconds go back to normal. This has been a ongoing issue with hemis since they came out, my 05 Durango hemi, broken bolts too. Cast iron and aluminum don't expand same so snaps bolts. Is why many just do shorty headers.

Last edited:

CanadianNick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Questions for anyone who has had this done - what is a decent price to pay to have a job like this done? Labour wise ? And I’m talking changing out both sides with new manifolds, gaskets and bolts. I supply all the parts

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
the bolts/manifolds are covered under the power train warranty ( 5yr/100k or the 5yr/60k...depending on the year of your truck )

Still love how RAM ****** their customers and lowered the length of the powertrain warranty to 5yr/60k miles a few years ago.....but thats a whole other complaint about this brand.

From what I heard GM or Ford lowered their warranty so Dodge followed suit. In this day & age a person should easily get 100k out of a properly maintained vehicle without any major issues. If the manufacturer can't do that then they need to go back to the drawing board.

noupf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport 6'4 Bed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
From what I heard GM or Ford lowered their warranty so Dodge followed suit. In this day & age a person should easily get 100k out of a properly maintained vehicle without any major issues. If the manufacturer can't do that then they need to go back to the drawing board.

oh im aware they all did it. **** all 3 of them if you ask me. Im looking at a new suv for the wife next year.....was looking at a grand cherokee, but doubt it now. I would never have considered it, but volkswagon now has a 6 year 72k BUMPER TO BUMPER waranty and their new Atlas is kinda nice looking. Now thats standing behind your product.

Last edited:

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
I wonder what the percentage is for broken bolts?

I know several Ram owners who have never heard of this issue.

I wonder if a poll would answer that, or if it would be skewed because many people come to a Forum AFTER they have an issue ?

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
or if it would be skewed because many people come to a Forum AFTER they have an issue ?

Most likely. The bolt thing is a pretty "common" issue but there are also hundreds of thousands of 5.7's out there. The data on the forum wouldn't really be reflective of the huge number of 5.7 trucks. I never ended up having this issue on my 2013.

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
Is very common, been a issue since the Hemi. Is normally the bolts at rear of motor that break. My neighbors 2012 Ram 5.7, has a leak on both sides, my 13 Ram 5.7 had leak on rear passenger side of motor at 40k and just replaced. My 05 Durango 5.7 has 2 broken bolts on 1 side and 3 on other. My coworkers 05 Ram has a few broken bolts on his hemi.

jeffbob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Please post this link in as many places as possible to start the recall process on the manifold bolt issue: https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

I had the dealer replace the right side bolts in my 2012 Ram 1500 at 65,000 weeks before the 5 year powertrain warranty was up, but the dealer wouldn't replace the left side at that time. They've now failed as well with 78,000 miles on the truck. $775 to replace four bolts and the manifold/gasket. This is a known issue with the hemi motor that's been going on since... 2009? This is a manufacturing/design flaw that we should not have to be paying for out of pocket to fix.

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Had to have the bolts replaced on my 2012 shortly after I bought it ( bought used, but managed to get it in before the power train warranty was over).
While researching the issue, I found a very interesting article that convinced me that the issue is with the Y-pipe and cat placement, and also explained why it’s always the rear bolts that break.
If I’m remembering it correctly, it said that too much heat is contained in the Y-pipe, between the engine and cats. This causes the rear of the manifolds to experience a more extreme heat cycle, than the fronts of the manifolds.
The excessive heat weakens the bolts and causes the manifolds to warp slightly, applying just enough pressure to snap the bolts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimfromAZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow! No I'm concerned like the little hypochondriac I am.

Can someone explain all the symptoms I should be looking for? I have an '18 1500 Sport 4x4 5.7.

I do know that on a cold start, I have a ticking and rattle coming from engine area that goes away after few moments following startup. Not real noticeable inside truck but it's very noticeable outside truck.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
My thoughts exactly. I think we should all call and voice our thoughts to FCA on the same day and send messages to Ram Cares.
Why not create a post to this effect? You could even use the polling widget. Ramcares can then take this to FCA. For me, my 2010 has stage 8 bolts and ARH headers so I only get to watch this from the sidelines. But it does SUCK that so many are having the issue.

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
I had to fix broken manifold bolts once on a buddies 05 Durango and twice on my mom's 05 Durango 10 years ago+. They dont care the parts guy at the dealership said it was common back then.