Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dylan_unique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7L
Hi, new here. Seems like a nice forum. Anyways, I had a problem with my AC blower not pushing air through the cab and researched to find that my Recirculate door was broken and blocking the air flow. I removed the actuator so I could slide in the new door and decided to test the actuator while I could see it.
When I was testing it, I noticed that when I set it to "Recirculate" the actuator would rotate ~90deg (give or take) then when I turned it off, the actuator would rotate in the opposite direction ~360deg.

This doesn't seem correct to me, but I can't figure out what could be causing this. The actuator itself is just a 2-wire dumb(no feedback) actuator so I can't imagine that replacing it would fix the problem.

I read something about actuator caliberation on GM vehicles, but not sure if I have something similar. Seems like a computer issue to me, but I'm hoping to get someone else's opinion on this.

Has anyone else exerienced somthing similar to this?

Also, I bought this truck used and found the actuator with only 2/3 skrews holding it in place so it's very possible that the previous owner messed with something or installed non-OEM parts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Bigdog9598

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 - 4x2 - SLT
Engine
4.7 flex
Dylan,
there is a plastic bump stop on the blend/recirculate door. the bump stop breaks and if the door in not attached the actuator will continue to spin.
That's my take, I pulled my dash and did the Blend Door U.S.A. upgrade to all doors and the attachment of the doors to the actuators.
Someone on here may give a better or different explanation.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Hi, new here. Seems like a nice forum. Anyways, I had a problem with my AC blower not pushing air through the cab and researched to find that my Recirculate door was broken and blocking the air flow. I removed the actuator so I could slide in the new door and decided to test the actuator while I could see it.
When I was testing it, I noticed that when I set it to "Recirculate" the actuator would rotate ~90deg (give or take) then when I turned it off, the actuator would rotate in the opposite direction ~360deg.

This doesn't seem correct to me, but I can't figure out what could be causing this. The actuator itself is just a 2-wire dumb(no feedback) actuator so I can't imagine that replacing it would fix the problem.

I read something about actuator caliberation on GM vehicles, but not sure if I have something similar. Seems like a computer issue to me, but I'm hoping to get someone else's opinion on this.

Has anyone else exerienced somthing similar to this?

Also, I bought this truck used and found the actuator with only 2/3 skrews holding it in place so it's very possible that the previous owner messed with something or installed non-OEM parts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Yeah you have something going on cause the recirculating/fresh air door should close every time the ignition is turned of, the reason being, to keep out humidity when not running compressor. It’s either open or closed, no middle ground.

Did that job on my old 02, pita! But once I changed all 5 doors (not that they all were broken but was in there so might as well) everything was good.

OP
OP
Dylan_unique

Dylan_unique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7L
Dylan,
there is a plastic bump stop on the blend/recirculate door. the bump stop breaks and if the door in not attached the actuator will continue to spin.
That's my take, I pulled my dash and did the Blend Door U.S.A. upgrade to all doors and the attachment of the doors to the actuators.
Someone on here may give a better or different explanation.

I noticed a single bump stop on the attachment. It doesn't seem broken or damaged in anyway. I will try to take a closer look at the housing once it cools off outside to see if anything that should be stopping it is broken. But my only concern is that it's a 12V servo! That's not good engineering to rely on a small plastic piece to stop a motor like that.

I've also considered replacing all of the doors, but it's a bit expensive for me and can't see how that would fix it.

But to give an update, while I was fooling around, I noticed something else as well. I essentially have 2 distinct symptoms on this servo:

Symptom 1: (explained above) Ricirculation on => Rotates 90deg; Recirculation off => Rotates opposite direction 360deg

Symptom 2:
Case 1: Turn Recirculate On -> Servo begins to rotate -> Quickly turn Recirculate Off => Servo rotates 90deg then reverses direction for 360deg
Case 2: Turn recirculate Off -> Servo begins to rotate -> Quickly turn Recirculate On => Servo rotates 360deg then stops

For case 2, if I turn Recirculate Off again it will perform another 360deg rotation (720 total)!

The only thing that makes sense to me is that it must be a computer issue, but I'm not sure what to do about that.
My guess is that these incorrect rotations is what cause to the door to break off in the first place.
I'm almost at the point where I'm going to shut the door permanantly and disconnect this actuator from moving (Recirculate is always on). But hopefully someone can provide feedback based on my new discovery.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
I noticed a single bump stop on the attachment. It doesn't seem broken or damaged in anyway. I will try to take a closer look at the housing once it cools off outside to see if anything that should be stopping it is broken. But my only concern is that it's a 12V servo! That's not good engineering to rely on a small plastic piece to stop a motor like that.

I've also considered replacing all of the doors, but it's a bit expensive for me and can't see how that would fix it.

But to give an update, while I was fooling around, I noticed something else as well. I essentially have 2 distinct symptoms on this servo:

Symptom 1: (explained above) Ricirculation on => Rotates 90deg; Recirculation off => Rotates opposite direction 360deg

Symptom 2:
Case 1: Turn Recirculate On -> Servo begins to rotate -> Quickly turn Recirculate Off => Servo rotates 90deg then reverses direction for 360deg
Case 2: Turn recirculate Off -> Servo begins to rotate -> Quickly turn Recirculate On => Servo rotates 360deg then stops

For case 2, if I turn Recirculate Off again it will perform another 360deg rotation (720 total)!

The only thing that makes sense to me is that it must be a computer issue, but I'm not sure what to do about that.
My guess is that these incorrect rotations is what cause to the door to break off in the first place.
I'm almost at the point where I'm going to shut the door permanantly and disconnect this actuator from moving (Recirculate is always on). But hopefully someone can provide feedback based on my new discovery.
You recirc door pin is stripped, blend door USA or heater treater’s pin are made of metal to eliminate that issue. It’s way easier to remove the whole box then hack it up like heater treater suggests.