Recommendations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ALPO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 etorque
I just recently traded in my 2014 CTD 2500 4X4 Laramie for a 2021 1500 5.7 eTorque Hemi 4X4. I have a Rockwood UltraLight 2906ws I tow maybe once per year from WV to NJ. The 2500 having the CTD only had a Cargo Capacity of 1950# while the 1500 has a Capacity of 1669#, only a drop of 281#. The 2500 had a Towing Capacity of 17100# while the 1500 is only 11600#, quite a big drop there. The Rockwood has a Dry Weight of 7275#, a Fully Loaded Weight of 8914#, and a Hitch Weight of 914# (dry). I think I’m OK Weigh size as we always tow with Tanks Empty (actually 5-10 gallons in Black Tank to slosh around and keep things from rocking up). The area that concerns me most is the Trailer Length of almost 34’, that’s quite a Sail back there. I have towed this trailer with the 2500 more than a few times and with that truck I hardly knew it was back there. I just couldn’t see maintaining the 2500 with the associated maintenance costs (oil and filter changes, tire wear due to the weight, etc..) and the reduced daily drivability with that extra 1000# engine on the front, the 1500s just drive so much better - and I only make one trip per year Towing! I know I will miss that Torque and Engine Braking on that trip but the remainder of the year be far more enjoyable. Is there any advice out there on possible upgrades to make that once yearly trip more enjoyable and safer?

OP
OP
A

ALPO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 etorque
Note: the 1500 did come with the 3.92 positraction Rear Axel.

OP
OP
A

ALPO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 etorque
Note 2: I am also using an Equilizer (10k) Hitch setup with Weight Distribution and Sway Control. It will also only be my wife, me with our dogs in the Truck.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Upgrade the tires to at least XL load rated tires or you can jump into Load range D or E. Air bags would definitely help out firming up the rear end.
You'll probably want to set up the WDH using CAT scale, shoot to have 10-12% tongue weight and the truck rear axle is heavier than the front.
Some people have said an upgraded rear sway bar has helped also.

aces-n-eights

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I recently did this analysis on my '16 Laramie 1500. The chart said my GVWR was 6900 lbs and payload was 1500 lbs. I scaled my truck and it was 5720 lbs - so 6900 - 5720 = only 1180 lbs of payload. Quite a difference! Assuming our numbers are similar, you have have 914 lbs of tongue weight alone and that doesn't leave much payload. So don't go by the chart! Weigh your truck.

Also the GVAWR - the axle ratings for my truck are 3900 front and 4100 rear. I can see perhaps slightly exceeding the payload, but you are really looking at trouble if you exceed your rear axle rating.

34' is a big trailer for a 1500 - my opinion. I think you're going to be expecting too much from a 1500. Again, my opinion.

OP
OP
A

ALPO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 etorque
A lot of good feedback. I have until next year to address the needs so I have time. I will definitely be looking at Tires, and the following addresses other feedback. I have been towing for many years and consider myself very cautious, the last three towing this Trailer albeit with the 2500.

According to Ram the following are the Specs Associated with my Truck:
*GVWR 7100#
*GCWR 17000#
*GAWR Rear 4100#
*Base Weight 5308#
*Weight Rear 2159#

These numbers correlate pretty close to the actual attached Sticker Cargo Weight of 1669#. However what is odd is the Rear GAWR (4100#) less the Base Weight (5308#) only gives me only 1208#, that seems contradictory to the Posted Cargo Capacity of 1669#. The Equalizer Hitch will send some of the Weight to the Front Axle as well, so I should still be good but close. As mentioned earlier I Tow with the Tanks empty and don’t push stowing much else, I simply use it as an occasional weekend Home away from home while visiting my Daughters in NJ.

OP
OP
A

ALPO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 etorque
Oops, I messed up that Calculation. The Rear GAWR OF 4100# minus the Base Rear Weight of 2159# gives me 1941# to play with. A bit better but still something to address as best I can.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Upgrade the tires to at least XL load rated tires or you can jump into Load range D or E. Air bags would definitely help out firming up the rear end.
You'll probably want to set up the WDH using CAT scale, shoot to have 10-12% tongue weight and the truck rear axle is heavier than the front.
Some people have said an upgraded rear sway bar has helped also.
DITTO ^^^^wat Crash said. I am no towing guru. The biggest I pull is a 16' stock, loaded be a lil over 7K, but only local. In my very uninformed Internet Guessnosis opinion, U R asking a heck of a lot out of a 1500 truck. U may need to do all the stuff stated, like air bags, TIRES !!!, WDH dialed in using scales, etc. The Motor pull that weight, but U be in the 4000 RPM band to pull, so do not be alarmed. BUT a 34' SAIL is really a heck of a lot for a 1500. U may find yourself in white knuckle driving. Wat eva U do, no hauling, drive easy and reasonable if U do. But yer rig, truck, yer decision, be safe.

SUM UP: U R at the extreme limits on the setup. Drive slow and careful if U choose, but no way "I" would pull a 34' sail behind my truck. But my opinion and U should neva listen to internet guessnosis, but do a lot of research, be informed and make your decision.

OP
OP
A

ALPO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 etorque
The Trailer is all Winterized and Covered now, but the First trip in the Spring will be to a CAT Scale, to dial in the Hitch and get associated data. I just couldn’t see maintaining and driving a 3/4 Ton Diesel year round for a few Days Towing (not to mention the much inflated trade-in I got in today’s market!). It’s only 242 miles to the Campground in the Spring and 242 back in the Fall, I think the poor soles stuck behind me as I cautiously limp back and forth will be more upset - at least I hope.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The Trailer is all Winterized and Covered now, but the First trip in the Spring will be to a CAT Scale, to dial in the Hitch and get associated data.
You'll want the truck and trailer loaded as close as possible to how you'll be traveling down the road. Adding two teenagers to the back seat can effect how the trailer WDH will feel while towing.
I've towed a 32' behind my 1500, it's like towing with any other truck you still need to be aware of how long you are. As the website BoneheadTruckers say: S W I F T

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Trailer is all Winterized and Covered now, but the First trip in the Spring will be to a CAT Scale, to dial in the Hitch and get associated data. I just couldn’t see maintaining and driving a 3/4 Ton Diesel year round for a few Days Towing (not to mention the much inflated trade-in I got in today’s market!). It’s only 242 miles to the Campground in the Spring and 242 back in the Fall, I think the poor soles stuck behind me as I cautiously limp back and forth will be more upset - at least I hope.
The heck with em. Drive reasonable and safe. If they in that much of a hurry, let em pass, LOL.

fulltimerart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any chance you could just store the trailer at the campground for the winter? We have been to a lot of campgrounds that have a storage area, some even move your rig to and from the site for a few bucks. Art

Ram Fan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Limited
Engine
EcoDiesel, GDE tuned, 3.55 axle ratio
You'll be fine with your 1500. I have almost the same size/weight trailer as you do (Rockwood 8329SS with a dry weight of 7460 and overall length just shy of 35 feet). I currently have a Ram 2500 with CTD, and it tows like a dream, but prior to the current vehicle I towed the same trailer with two different 1500s - a 2016 with Hemi and 3.92 axle ratio, and a 2017 with Eco-diesel. Both 1500s handled the trailer nicely (I had air suspension so it was always level) and with the Equalizer hitch there was very little sway. Definitely not as firmly planted as the 2500, but as long as it isnt crazy windy you'll be just fine.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
for only a few tow trips you probably dont want to get too crazy with truck mods, but a set of air bags wouldnt hurt and they are not expensive. maybe change out tires to LT or a higher load rating..or if you have pretty good tires already, run a few more # air when towing. plan your trip for a light wind day. dont fully stock your trailer/truck with groceries and supplies till you get set up and then make a trip to the store. drive slower than usual. several little things that might add up make the trip work out better.

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Well i would say it all depends on where and how far you tow as well. Had a 2017 1500 Hemi w/3.92 & factory air suspension towing our Nash 23D @ 6600 lbs loaded for travel using a e4 Equalizer WD hitch. On flats to slightly hilly it did fine with no complaints although it always felt a bit loose. Add big hills or mountains and it was non-stop screaming at 4K rpm and struggling to maintain 55 on big grades. Got tired of that real quick and traded for the 2020 2500 CTD and never looked back. We're on the west coast and travel mountains constantly, best decision we made for us.

calkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 3500 Cummins Laramie 4x4, 2015 2500 Cummins SLT 4x4
Engine
Just my opinion. Once you add HD tires (min 80psi), maybe higher rated rear coil springs and possibly air bags you'll have about the same ride empty as the 2500.