Redline Trans & Diff Fluid?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
16RamHemi

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
i reached out to Dave at Redline regarding mixing the D6 with oem fluid left behind. his response:

Thank you for contacting Red Line Oil, the D6ATF is compatible and will mix with the residual fluid left in the transmission.

just incase anyone else was concerned with mixing them as i was.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yeah I mixed d6 with toyora ws no issues, and ws is a finicky fluid with dye issues, last guy talking about it at bob's a level of gunk in the pan.

Reactions: U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Remember you will not get the full benefit of using Redline until you do a couple fluid changes to flush out the old fluid.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

OP
OP
16RamHemi

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
i cant picture it exactly in my head, but it should work since it has depth, but the safest drill spot would be into the side at the bottom. then no chance of hitting internals. just harder to catch the fluid

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Like @U&A said, a step bit is the way go if you want control over how deep it goes. Plus I've found it's much better for plastic than a regular drill bit. Most hardware stores have them or you can get them from Amazon

Neiko 10193A Titanium Step Drill Bit Set, High Speed Steel | 3-Piece Set | Total 28 Sizes https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001OEPYWK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_8r95Cb020G388

OP
OP
16RamHemi

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
Like @U&A said, a step bit is the way go if you want control over how deep it goes. Plus I've found it's much better for plastic than a regular drill bit. Most hardware stores have them or you can get them from Amazon

Neiko 10193A Titanium Step Drill Bit Set, High Speed Steel | 3-Piece Set | Total 28 Sizes https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001OEPYWK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_8r95Cb020G388

Hey Corey, you are running the ATP B-453 pan correct (i think i recall in a previous thread somewhere you mention this)? If so, everywhere i am looking is saying it does not fit my 14 sport. I also recall John (i think) from Boostedmotorsports on youtube reference this pan and filter kit on his 14 sport. Im getting ready to order my pan and fluids but just want to make sure on the pan. I took the numbers off the pan on my truck and i do not see those numbers anywhere. Im wondering if those are ZF's numbers, nothing to do with the oem mopar numbers that the vendors mention as cross reference. Ive found that the ATP ($112 on summit) and Dorman ($122 on CarID) are the best prices so far. Both are pan with replaceable filter. Ive followed a couple links going to Amazon for the ATP pan but it says it doesnt fit my truck.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey Corey, you are running the ATP B-453 pan correct (i think i recall in a previous thread somewhere you mention this)? If so, everywhere i am looking is saying it does not fit my 14 sport. I also recall John (i think) from Boostedmotorsports on youtube reference this pan and filter kit on his 14 sport. Im getting ready to order my pan and fluids but just want to make sure on the pan. I took the numbers off the pan on my truck and i do not see those numbers anywhere. Im wondering if those are ZF's numbers, nothing to do with the oem mopar numbers that the vendors mention as cross reference. Ive found that the ATP ($112 on summit) and Dorman ($122 on CarID) are the best prices so far. Both are pan with replaceable filter. Ive followed a couple links going to Amazon for the ATP pan but it says it doesnt fit my truck.

No I’m running a MagHytec 45RFE pan and I don’t have the 8 Speed....

But that looks like about the best aftermarket trans pan for an 8 speed...

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI

I agree

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

OP
OP
16RamHemi

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew

ah got ya. good price. just hesitant because it lists as not fitting. i love the ppe one but i would need to fix the exhaust as the pipe goes abiut 1 inch under the stock pan. blocks yhe drain plug too.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That exhaust crossover pipe has to be the biggest blunder on these trucks. I mean it's not like there's no room under there to put it somewhere besides right under the transmission....

OP
OP
16RamHemi

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
That exhaust crossover pipe has to be the biggest blunder on these trucks. I mean it's not like there's no room under there to put it somewhere besides right under the transmission....

exactly. makes no sense. lets have it cross here and block the trans drain pkug abd one of the bolts, while we are at it we will crush the pipe down flat on top, and when we bring both pipes together we will crush dpwn a side too. genius.

Rampad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
That's 30,000 mile fluid?
Yes, factor fill at 30k mi. Mostly highway driving with no towing. (I average 20k miles a year) I performed a drain and fill with redline d6 after I took that sample and expect to do another at 50k mi.

OP
OP
16RamHemi

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
Yes, factor fill at 30k mi. Mostly highway driving with no towing. (I average 20k miles a year) I performed a drain and fill with redline d6 after I took that sample and expect to do another at 50k mi.

curious if you checked level with truck level on the ground or levelling the trans by jacking up rear end?

Rampad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
curious if you checked level with truck level on the ground or levelling the trans by jacking up rear end?
I checked the fluid level with the truck standing on its own.(no jacks) I wanted the the fluid be set to the point at which it would always be when operating... truth be told, I didn’t know about the procedure of leveling the trans by lifting the rear until after I changed my fluid. So far the trans has shifted the same as always.

OP
OP
16RamHemi

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
I checked the fluid level with the truck standing on its own.(no jacks) I wanted the the fluid be set to the point at which it would always be when operating... truth be told, I didn’t know about the procedure of leveling the trans by lifting the rear until after I changed my fluid. So far the trans has shifted the same as always.

When i get a chance im going to check mine level with the ground. When i changed mine i leveled the trans and did it that way. then drove it up to 180F and then checked it again (with trans level). Im curious how it will read with just having truck level. We all know if a dealer does the service, or any shop for that matter, its up on a lift with your truck level. However the trans itself is not level. I had to lift mine around 10" and that was with it facing downhill a bit. I have not noticed any difference after changing fluid. I plan to change it again soon as a pan drop and refill only used a gallon. Went with Redline D6 in mine.

Rampad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
When i get a chance im going to check mine level with the ground. When i changed mine i leveled the trans and did it that way. then drove it up to 180F and then checked it again (with trans level). Im curious how it will read with just having truck level. We all know if a dealer does the service, or any shop for that matter, its up on a lift with your truck level. However the trans itself is not level. I had to lift mine around 10" and that was with it facing downhill a bit. I have not noticed any difference after changing fluid. I plan to change it again soon as a pan drop and refill only used a gallon. Went with Redline D6 in mine.

I don’t remember checking fluid level at that high of a temperature. I need to look it up again, only recall checking between 80F-120F.