Redline Trans & Diff Fluid?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
you guys with the 8 speed....anyone running redline in the trans and diffs? if so, what do i need for the front and rear diff? d6 for trans? what quantities?

14 ram 1500 sport 4x4 8hp70.

thank you

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
D6 would be the right fluid for the 8HP70, but I'm not sure of anyone that's run it long term. I plan to use it when it comes time to service mine which will likely be a little while longer. On the diffs I use RL75W140 in the rear and RL75W90 up front. I have a BW44-44 T-Case and I run RL C+ in that as well.

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
you guys with the 8 speed....anyone running redline in the trans and diffs? if so, what do i need for the front and rear diff? d6 for trans? what quantities?

14 ram 1500 sport 4x4 8hp70.

thank you

"9 (or so) quarts for the ZF-8HP"

"9 quarts will be required and possibly one or two extra for the flushing proposes."

Im getting ready to do a pan drop and fluid change on my 8 speed trans within a year. I cant answer your question entirely, but I can provide a link to a great read about these transmissions.

Sit down while reading or you might pass out...

https://www.oildepot.ca/dodge-dealer-home-of-1000-atf-flush/

Last edited:
OP
OP
16RamHemi

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
"9 (or so) quarts for the ZF-8HP"

"9 quarts will be required and possibly one or two extra for the flushing proposes."

Im getting ready to do a pan drop and fluid change on my 8 speed trans within a year. I cant answer your question entirely, but I can provide a link to a great read about these transmissions.

Sit down while reading or you might pass out...

https://www.oildepot.ca/dodge-dealer-home-of-1000-atf-flush/

from what i remember it was around 5 quarts for a drain and refill, and probably the 9 for when you flush it. I have not seen or read anything about the flush procedure. Dropping the pan and replacing, then adding fluid and checking level is pretty basic. tedious, but easy.

I was curious....anyone wrap the exhaust pipe right below the trans pan? Think it would help keep it cooler at all?

I will check out that thread!

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
from what i remember it was around 5 quarts for a drain and refill, and probably the 9 for when you flush it. I have not seen or read anything about the flush procedure. Dropping the pan and replacing, then adding fluid and checking level is pretty basic. tedious, but easy.

I was curious....anyone wrap the exhaust pipe right below the trans pan? Think it would help keep it cooler at all?

I will check out that thread!

Heres what ill be putting around the exhaust...

They come in either 1ft or 2ft lengths.

https://www.thermotec.com/products/heat-shields-and-protection/stainless-steel-clamp-on-heat-shield

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Heres what ill be putting around the exhaust...

They come in either 1ft or 2ft lengths.

https://www.thermotec.com/products/heat-shields-and-protection/stainless-steel-clamp-on-heat-shield

I put that on my 2016, it helps a bit, and does make the trans take longer to warm up HOWEVER it does not keep the trans fluid temp any lower in the long run - the truck wants the temp to be in the 190-195 degree range and unless you modify the trans cooler that is what it will run at.

I put it on to really help when towing, but again the benefits are not great - that you can see.

When towing long distances, I just feel better knowing I am not dumping all of that extra heat into the trans pan.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I have a BW44-44 T-Case and I run RL C+ in that as well.

Yeah, is it the bg44-45 that takes some unicorn ****? Maybe h395 will pop in, do you know your t case OP? If it calls for atf 4, then c+ is the stuff, I put c+ in mine. But one year ram went to some ********* t case I think.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yeah, is it the bg44-45 that takes some unicorn ****? Maybe h395 will pop in, do you know your t case OP? If it calls for atf 4, then c+ is the stuff, I put c+ in mine. But one year ram went to some ********* t case I think.

44-45 is the normal case, 44-44 is the auto, unicorn blood drinking case. Somewhere around here there's a VOA on that unicorn blood and it doesn't appear to be anything special. My Auto case works better with C+ so while not the recommended fluid, I'll keep running it. I also have the locker mod on my 44-44 so it will actually lock up in 4-high like the other OE's using the BW Torque on demand cases.

OP
OP
16RamHemi

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
44-45 is the normal case, 44-44 is the auto, unicorn blood drinking case. Somewhere around here there's a VOA on that unicorn blood and it doesn't appear to be anything special. My Auto case works better with C+ so while not the recommended fluid, I'll keep running it. I also have the locker mod on my 44-44 so it will actually lock up in 4-high like the other OE's using the BW Torque on demand cases.

according to my manual (2014), for transfer case, they recommend Mopar BW44-44 tc fluid. for front diff, they recommend Mopar GL-5 synthetic 75w-85. for rear diff they recommend Mopar synthetic 75w-140 (ms-8985).

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
according to my manual (2014), for transfer case, they recommend Mopar BW44-44 tc fluid. for front diff, they recommend Mopar GL-5 synthetic 75w-85. for rear diff they recommend Mopar synthetic 75w-140 (ms-8985).

Hemi395 aka Corey has done the work on the tcase, shoot him a pm or call him @Hemi395 might work. 75w85 is whatever, CAFe choice, the 75w90 is the most popular gear oil and was the choice for Rams as well even the same application, they just changed the weight, so it's your choice, feel free to stick with manual, hardly matters either way. You will want that 140 in the rear. Redline is gl-5. Unlike engine oils that change all the time, gl-5 has been around forever. So some oils like redline would recomend it for a 2004 ram and tell you it's gl-5 but not "update" it, but it doesn't need to be updated, it's the same thing twenty years later.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The key word there is "recommended". I've had C+ in my 44-44 for about 6 months now and it works perfectly. No clutch slippage, no noises, nothing. I did a VOA on this and Dexron III awhile back and the add pack of both is a little different but the viscosity and all the other properties of them is identical. The Mopar 44-44 is actually closer to an ATF+4.

@U&A did a VOA on Redline C+ a while back also so here's the two VOAs. The only major difference between the two is Boron and Phosphorus...1e97d538e53f312eb0a135ff50a98373.jpgc24a3a38756a3513a11d6bf2ce4f528f.jpg
Also, if you're interested in getting your 44-44 to actually lock in 4Lock pm @Brandon-w !

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hemi395 aka Corey has done the work on the tcase, shoot him a pm or call him @Hemi395 might work. 75w85 is whatever, CAFe choice, the 75w90 is the most popular gear oil and was the choice for Rams as well even the same application, they just changed the weight, so it's your choice, feel free to stick with manual, hardly matters either way. You will want that 140 in the rear. Redline is gl-5. Unlike engine oils that change all the time, gl-5 has been around forever. So some oils like redline would recomend it for a 2004 ram and tell you it's gl-5 but not "update" it, but it doesn't need to be updated, it's the same thing twenty years later.

CAFE gear oil indeed. My SRT had that 75W85 **** in the rear ZF diff(Similar in design to the newer ZF front diffs in the 1500s) and screamed after beefing up the IRS. Even going to RL75W85 it would start howling after it got hot so then I went to RL75W90 which was better until I really pushed it and finally settled on RL 75W110 which works the best for my use case. The OE's recommendations are really just that and they have their own agenda.

Since my 4x4 only gets used on occasion I decided 75W90 was the best choice for my truck, but if I was spending extended amounts of time in 4x4 I would probably be running 75W110.

The key word there is "recommended". I've had C+ in my 44-44 for about 6 months now and it works perfectly. No clutch slippage, no noises, nothing. I did a VOA on this and Dexron III awhile back and the add pack of both is a little different but the viscosity and all the other properties of them is identical. The Mopar 44-44 is actually closer to an ATF+4.

I've had C+ in mine for almost 2.5 years now without any issues. Probably by the end of this year or early next year I'll change it just to see how it's held up, but I'm confident it will be far better shape than the unicorn blood was.

Also, if you're interested in getting your 44-44 to actually lock in 4Lock pm @Brandon-w !
I can 100% second this. His locker switch modification is awesome and plug and play. It's amazing what a difference it makes as far as the performance of the 4WD system in situations where you actually need all 4 wheels to be powered.

OP
OP
16RamHemi

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
@Burla, @Hemi395, @joshuaeb09 and everyone else who contributed, thank you. I just want to make sure i understand all this correctly. For the transfer case i want RL C+, for the Trans i want RL D6 ATF, for the front diff i want RL 75w90 or 110 GL-5, and for the rear diff i want RL 75w140 GL-5. I live in Maine so i see plenty of 4wd. I dont leave it in 4x4 for extended periods of time, basically jsut driving to / from work or anywhere else. Once roads clear or are ok for 2wd i switch to that. So would i be better off with the 110 instead of the 90? We see low temps of -25 to highs over 100 at times in the summer.

I will send @Brandon-w a message about the switch mod. thanks for that.

Thanks guys!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
75w90 for the front imo.

Thanks Corey and Kyle for doing those voa's.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
@Burla, @Hemi395, @joshuaeb09 and everyone else who contributed, thank you. I just want to make sure i understand all this correctly. For the transfer case i want RL C+, for the Trans i want RL D6 ATF, for the front diff i want RL 75w90 or 110 GL-5, and for the rear diff i want RL 75w140 GL-5. I live in Maine so i see plenty of 4wd. I dont leave it in 4x4 for extended periods of time, basically jsut driving to / from work or anywhere else. Once roads clear or are ok for 2wd i switch to that. So would i be better off with the 110 instead of the 90? We see low temps of -25 to highs over 100 at times in the summer.

I will send @Brandon-w a message about the switch mod. thanks for that.

Thanks guys!

I would use the 75W90 upfront since your use case is similar, but instead of cold stuff we get wet nasty mud out here (Not all of the roads are paved). I would only use 75W110 up front if I was really beating on the truck off road.

Jdoc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ok. So I have used the redline in all my differentials, transfer case, and 8hp70 tranny.
I have a 2014 ram sport 1500 5.7 hemi.
I used an aftermarket pan/filter. Reason Being the filter can be replaced on this pan w/o changing the pan every time ( filter...
ATP B-453 Automatic Transmi pan filter...

https://www.amazon.com).pan
I bought 2 gallons, Of the redline D6 tranny fluid ( so u dont have to open all those separate qts). Since its has to be pumped into the fill hole..
On the rear differential I used redline...75w-140w, 2.5qts approx
Front diff. Redline...75w-85w, 1.5qts aprrox.
Transfer case, redline... C+ATF...1.5qts. Approx.
Tranny fluid, redline... D6ATF... 8qts or 2 gal. Approx. Also u will not use that much for tranny bc intinally bc fluid will be trapped in torque converter tranny cooler lines etc.. ( I still have almost 3/4 of gal left when I did mine. I'm fixing to drop that tranny fluid again to try to get all factory fluid out. So I have to buy another gal. Myself.
I do a lot of towing with mine & use 4x4 regularly. Shifting into 4x4 is quite and it just seems to operate more smoothly since I changed over all my fluids.
When doing tranny service tho, it very meticulous procedure. Not so much removing pan but reinstalling there a specific bolt torque pattern who must follow and the main thing is change fluid on tranny when it's cold
Has to be between 86°-126°F when adding fluid. Engine has to be running while filling to get proper level but before this temperature or it will not get enough fluid in it.
One more thing to remember have truck completely level as possible.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
The fluid in the differential only needs to be changed if the gears are changed or repairs are made. In that case I would not be using Redline as their diesel motor oil is the worst you can buy in terms of its additive mix. They do a great job of marketing their products but fall way short on the products they actually sell.

There are two grades of transmission fluid available and the difference is the change interval which is longer based on both miles driven and months of use. I do this with my diesel truck's transmission but with a gas powered truck I change the ATF based on the manufacturer's guidelines, which with Ram is at 120,000 miles.