Regear or put 3000k away?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snake15eyes1998

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys, just wanted your opinions. I have the money to re regear my truck. The shop gave me a quote and it's going to run me just over $3,000 out the door. Do I regear my 2006 dodge 1500, she sits on 35x12.5x20s. Purchasing a trailer by spring. I will be pulling the trailer at least 6-8 times a year. Regear would be 3.55 to 4.56. My truck has 127,??? Miles On it. I really want to regear it, but now that I have the money. A part of me doesn't want to. I don't plan on buying another rig for a long time. So in my mind. It would be worth it, unless I'm gonna sell it in the next year of course. But I'm not going to, I can't afford a NEWer truck and with the mileage most of these NEWer trucks come with. I don't wanna sell mine. Especially if I can make mine a tow monster, and have it tow what it was rated for with ease. In previous posts from me, I've mentioned that my truck struggles pulling a 5000lbs pound trailer. Most of the campers im looking at have a GVWR of 7500lbs. Dry weight of 5500lbs. I wouldn't go heavier then this, but would definitely go lighter. What's your thoughts, what would you do? And pulling a 5000lbs trailer. I really have to favor 2nd gear, meaning I have to drop her into 2nd alot. Give me your opinions, and what you would do?

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
3k???!! Hope it’s a 4x4 and they are doing both rears for that price!

Joe w.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
Price seems kinda high to me. It's your truck do what you want to it and enjoy it. I'm not sure I would do 4.56s maybe 4.10s but build it the way you want it.

RamminMopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Just got mine done for $2400 4.56 on a 2009 2500 hemi. Dont tow but never liked the 545rfe general performance with heavy 33s/35s wheels. Too early to tell as im in the break in process but I'm liking it so far. Around town it gets up to speed with minimal pedal and at 65 (2k rpms on 305/55r20s) on the hwy it never even thought to leave 5th od gear.

Most importantly I finally scratched the itch of gears at least I'll know how 4.56s feel instead of reading forums about it. Looked at new 1500 Rams but never quiet felt right as mine has treated me pretty good,paid off, nice beefy solid axles and ive always loved 3rd gen rams. Probably because of the $$$ for new gears but theres is a renewed love for the ol'girl.

Truck Fun

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Seems like the question is; Do you want to keep an older/classic truck and fix/repair it as needed? Will the truck be needing any other updates and/or repairs? Engine? Transmission? Body? I always thought that having an older (more classic) truck to maintain & customize would have been fun; but it just never worked out. Also, just wondering but will the regearing involve adding a locker or limited slip?

OP
OP
S

Snake15eyes1998

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Seems like the question is; Do you want to keep an older/classic truck and fix/repair it as needed? Will the truck be needing any other updates and/or repairs? Engine? Transmission? Body? I always thought that having an older (more classic) truck to maintain & customize would have been fun; but it just never worked out. Also, just wondering but will the regearing involve adding a locker or limited slip?

Everything is solid, engine and transmission. Little bit of rust on fenders. Can't say it won't need repairs in a year or 2. But as she sits. She's a very solid truck. Have not had one major problem with it.

OP
OP
S

Snake15eyes1998

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just got mine done for $2400 4.56 on a 2009 2500 hemi. Dont tow but never liked the 545rfe general performance with heavy 33s/35s wheels. Too early to tell as im in the break in process but I'm liking it so far. Around town it gets up to speed with minimal pedal and at 65 (2k rpms on 305/55r20s) on the hwy it never even thought to leave 5th od gear.

Most importantly I finally scratched the itch of gears at least I'll know how 4.56s feel instead of reading forums about it. Looked at new 1500 Rams but never quiet felt right as mine has treated me pretty good,paid off, nice beefy solid axles and ive always loved 3rd gen rams. Probably because of the $$$ for new gears but theres is a renewed love for the ol'girl.

$2400, I will look over my quote again. I like that price. Or I will get 2 more quotes from 2 more places.

RamminMopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
$2,407 to be exact lol using revolution gears and bearing kit which are well thought of by the jeep guys on forums (and the shop is well liked by jeepers as well) when i was doing my research so thats why i pulled the trigger. It seems pricing is very regional some say $1800 all day others say $3000.

OP
OP
S

Snake15eyes1998

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
$2,407 to be exact lol using revolution gears and bearing kit which are well thought of by the jeep guys on forums (and the shop is well liked by jeepers as well) when i was doing my research so thats why i pulled the trigger. It seems pricing is very regional some say $1800 all day others say $3000.

Called another shop today. Shooting from his hip, he told me. Front and rear, seals, bearings, gears, labor. $2500-$2900. Going to 4.56 gears, the guy wasn't 100% sure if my carriers would have to be switched out. I will have a rock solid quote tomorrow.

RamminMopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Yeah my guy did the same thing to get a good quote. What brand gears?

OP
OP
S

Snake15eyes1998

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah my guy did the same thing to get a good quote. What brand gears?

Not sure yet on brand of gears. I'm sure he will tell me tomorrow. I will updated tomorrow if I have all the info. What brand of gears did they put in your truck?