Regeneration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Pettinato

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l
Hello
I am new to this forum, I have a 2011 3500 dually with a 6.7 L motor. The other day while climbing a hill I got a notice DPF was 90% clogged and truck started regeneration mode. Barely made it up the hill, smoking , no power etc. drove it home and checked codes. Deleted all but three and message on dash says to bring truck to dealership. I drove it today and seems to drive ok , power etc. These codes appear permanent. Really not a fan of dealerships, any advice ?

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Try taking it out and hammering it hard up a freeway. Basically you are trying to "blow out" the DPF system. Warm up that truck and try raising the exhaust gas temperature. It may take 5 - 10 minute of hard running to clean it out.

Remember blowing out carbon from a carb in your car back in the day? Same principle.

The codes are not permanent and, if the fault doesn't occur for 3 - 5 key cycles (on/start/drive/stop/off) it should disappear. If it doesn't, a visit to the dealer would be prudent.

I don't know if the filter is serviceable on your truck but some folks have removed and cleaned them with air or high pressure water.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Sometimes (most of the time) those messages go away on their own but if not you may end up at a dealer.

Like Maddog said get out and get that thing hot. In my experience monitoring the EGT temps and DPF filter levels (I have a app that I can monitor those) just running it on the highway may not be enough. Need to put some weight on it. Do you have a good heavy trailer you can hook up and tow on the highway for a little while? That should get the exhaust temps good and hot

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
If all is working properly, it takes about 20 minutes at freeway speeds to clear it out. It will count down on the EVIC so you can see the progress

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If the warning states that the DPF % is at or above 90%, you probably will have to take it to the dealer for a forced regen.
Like mtnrider stated, you need to put that thing under a good load. I was recently pulling an 8K lbs trailer behind my EcoD and with the EGT staying above 1000°F, the DPF % went down without doing an active regen.

OP
OP
J

John Pettinato

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l
Ok, good advice, I’ll run it on the highway hard up a steep section here in Vermont.
What are your thoughts about putting in a delete kit?
My friend went that route and is getting 4 mpg better than me.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Pre-DEF trucks like yours benefit greatly from deletes

OP
OP
J

John Pettinato

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l
I purchased a PPEI delete kit, won’t install it until a schedule recall notice is corrected. I did take truck out on hilly freeway and pushed it hard but after 40 min was still getting notice that DPF is at 90%. I’ll just remove that crap and go from there.