Reinstalling front diff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yoshi55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I completed the new cam and lifter issue and now I need to lift the front diff back into place. I have the truck on stands, but the front end just doesn't seem to want to be put into place. Is it binding? Non of the front suspension is torn apart. Should I lower the truck to the ground and lift the diff that way? I'm going to be back working on it tomorrow, but just wanted to see if someone could offer any guidance as to why it wouldn't just go into place freely.

Thanks!

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'd suspect there isn't enough travel in the CV joints to let it go up in. Pop one of the upper ball joints and tie-rods loose to let the knuckle swing out.

That's what comes to my mind anyway...though I don't know how you got the diff down.

OP
OP
Y

yoshi55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just unbolted the bolts on the top of the diff, engine mount and the front two bolts that bolt up to the frame I believe. In order to get the pan down, it had to be lowered. I should have just removed the whole engine, but with me being stubborn, didn't.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I just unbolted the bolts on the top of the diff, engine mount and the front two bolts that bolt up to the frame I believe. In order to get the pan down, it had to be lowered. I should have just removed the whole engine, but with me being stubborn, didn't.
Good chance it's the CV's binding as Caulk stated,and you'll have to unbolt the knuckle/knuckles to get them to slide back into place.I've had the front diff in and out on my truck several times,and it's never gave me any issues going back into place,but i've always had the CV's removed when i did it