2.5 lifted front diff & cv issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also, having this thread moved to the correct model year sub forum might help you get better feedback

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Hello,

I recently bought a rough country 2.5" lift and had someone install it along with new upper control arms and new cv axles from autozone. After everything was installed on the drive home the truck shook really bad at about 20 mph and would stop if I let off the gas. When I got it home I looked everything over and found that my front diff split in two.. the person that installed it said there is a lot of tension on the cv axles from the lift so I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue or if maybe something was done incorrectly that or maybe I missed getting something? Right now I'm waiting to get the front diff replaced and I'm worried that it might happen again

I dont see fluid splatter indicating that it split while driving. Gear oil would have slung all over

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Hello,

I recently bought a rough country 2.5" lift and had someone install it along with new upper control arms and new cv axles from autozone. After everything was installed on the drive home the truck shook really bad at about 20 mph and would stop if I let off the gas. When I got it home I looked everything over and found that my front diff split in two.. the person that installed it said there is a lot of tension on the cv axles from the lift so I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue or if maybe something was done incorrectly that or maybe I missed getting something? Right now I'm waiting to get the front diff replaced and I'm worried that it might happen again..
CV's are not in their joint so they are binding, However they would blow apart before the front diff does so yes installer error and the bracket holding the front diff had to have something going on but my guess is maybe a floor jack?

OP
OP
S

scsb06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I dont see fluid splatter indicating that it split while driving. Gear oil would have slung all over
It was all over and was dripping on my driveway. That's how I noticed that something was wrong with it. The whole underside is covered. It was about a 15 mile drive home from where it was worked on so it had plenty of time to go everywhere

DIRTRIDER

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 REBEL
Engine
HEMI 5.7
For everyone looking this is why you dont buy rough country. 100% installer error going on here but anyone willing to put rc suspension components in any vehicle is clearly not educated.
I have the Rough Country 3.5” kit on 2 different 5th gen Rams. One truck has 50,000mi and the other has 30,000mi. Not one single issue with the kit and rides good as stock to me. I did install the kits myself so I didn’t experience any installer errors. Nothing but a positive experience for me.

Attachments

• FAD08E99-2B06-4263-823C-9454ABCFA79D.jpeg
    FAD08E99-2B06-4263-823C-9454ABCFA79D.jpeg
    170.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 1AA462E5-7468-4408-B472-321D089464D0.jpeg
    1AA462E5-7468-4408-B472-321D089464D0.jpeg
    248.2 KB · Views: 15

fitz011

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
I have the Rough Country 3.5” kit on 2 different 5th gen Rams. One truck has 50,000mi and the other has 30,000mi. Not one single issue with the kit and rides good as stock to me. I did install the kits myself so I didn’t experience any installer errors. Nothing but a positive experience for me.
You mean the kit w/UCAs, shocks/coils, etc. Anything else?

XXRJXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So did u check the cvs when u pulled them out ? like actually check the movement of the bearings ? should be able to tell right away, i bought new aftermarket ones when my truck was just leveled, one side literally lasted a week, thru in a used oem ones never had a issue again

OP
OP
S

scsb06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So did u check the cvs when u pulled them out ? like actually check the movement of the bearings ? should be able to tell right away, i bought new aftermarket ones when my truck was just leveled, one side literally lasted a week, thru in a used oem ones never had a issue again
When boots on both sides were ripped and when he took out (I think) the passenger side it literally fell apart on him. I wasn't watching over him while he worked on it though cause I know how annoying and frustrating it can be to have someone be that way

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wasn't watching over him while he worked on it though cause I know how annoying and frustrating it can be to have someone be that way
Yep…nothing is worse than that ! So annoying

Quick_Shifter

Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
Hopefully you’re one of the lucky ones. About 40% are 60% don’t have the kits fall apart and just have premature wear on component’s. I’ve personally have put in too many front differentials in and every single one had a RC lift. I honestly wish it wasn’t the case and truly hope your post above doesn’t include the word yet.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357