Reliability and High Mileage Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Firefight1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am considering purchasing my first Ram 1500 truck, but curious what your thoughts are on long-term reliability.
Been a fan of the ram truck style since 94, but never owned one.

Currently drive Acura MDX with 150k miles and absolutely love this car, but have a 20' pontoon boat I tow several hours at a time about 6 times per year. Car can handle it with 5k towing capacity, but prefer something that is better suited for towing this boat.

Looking at a 2016 Ram 1500 5.7.

I have read about common issues, including the exhaust manifold bolts. Some say just replace the manifold altogether, etc...

Is the Ram 1500 a reliable truck and how many miles is reasonable to expand to put on it. 250k with proper maintenance and needed repairs reasonable to expect?

Last edited:

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
Welcome to the forum!
I have a 23 year old Ram 1500 gen 2 from the 1998 model year and I'm still driving it. It's almost to 198000 miles. Original Motor, Transmission, Rear end, alternator, ac compressor. I've replaced the pitman arm, radiator, starter and a rear wheel sensor in the diff. and of course tires and shocks. Still the original tierod ends and steering linkage.

I didn't run it off road, it's a 2WD vehicle. Mostly commuting and occasional trailer tow. I wish I could order a new one today! But such is life and RAM has moved on. I also have a 4th Generation V6 but not enough miles to report anything. It is a 2018 so I'm coming up on 2 years with it. It's never been back to the dealer from the day I drove it home. So No Issues with it either.

I posted another link here to a car complaints website that allows owners to track issues they have with their vehicles. RAM trucks are listed. If you want to see what other owners have complained about, it would be worth a look.

Good Luck on your Choice!

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
Mopar has been my choice for dependability for decades.

My wife's Patriot with the 6 speed is around 120,000 bullet proof miles. My last Ram would still be here had I not wanted a Crew Cab 4x4 with the Hemi.

There is a thread somewhere of a Pentastar with over 600,000 miles....

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I personally think a Ram is a great choice as I have had three over the last 20+ years, but how much drivability left in a vehicle depends on its use and maintenance by the previous owner. When buying a used vehicle it is a smart idea to have a knowledgeable mechanic do a very thorough analysis of the entire vehicle. It will cost some money but then you can make an informed decision. When I have purchased used vehicles I have steered clear of vehicles with lifts, oversized tires, and other modifications that can stress a vehicle. Also suggest considering moving one more year up, you might find some with warranty left. You may ask about extended warranties, please search the forum for the multiple threads on the topic. There are also multiple threads on towing, you will find some good information there. All of this can be used to make the best decision for your purpose. And finally, don't worry about the current truck, there are more out there that might be even more appealing to you. Good luck, and hope to read about your adventures with your new Ram.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Look man any car or truck if you properly maintain it and take care of it is going to last you a very long time. I have a 1993 Corolla with 345k miles and still drives like a champ. I really wanted a Silverado but the deal I got on my now 2018 Ram 1500 was too good to pass up and I had no concerns about getting a Ram.

Yes, every car and truck will have issues of some sort but that is just like our own bodies, there is going to be something that we just can't control. These things are machines and are not perfect.

Ram is a very good truck with years of reliability just like Ford, Chevy and all the others. Don't let it scare you away from buying a Ram.

Princeton_Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I grew up with Dodge trucks. My first truck was a barn find 1959 D200, flat head 6, three on the tree, and 16.5" split rim wheels. That poor truck took abuse that only a 16 year old could give and when I sold it, it drove away under it's own power. Since that time I've owned several more. All of them where rock solid. My 97 had racked up 260,000 when I traded it in. The only repairs I ever had to do was one water pump, one clutch, and catalytic converters.

Like CAG CheechDogg said, proper maintenance is key to any vehicle's longevity and it pays not to skimp. I do all of my own routine and preventive maintenance. Best oil, best filters, lube regularly, and replace things that are badly worn before they wear out. Bought my 06 Corolla new in 06, had over 750,000 when I replaced it. It's my stepson's daily driver today.

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
For the longest time you couldn't give me a Chrysler. Now it's all I want lol. I've seen several in threads 300k+ my 18 hemi is at 55k now as it's been being babied the last 6 months the first 48k were the 1st year. Also have a 19 jl with the pentastar only 2 months old but 8k flawless miles. Just like anything else find out what the common issues are and do what you can to prevent them. 5w30 imho helps the hemi with all the fun noises lol and I think it will extend life. The bolts if you are worried about the switch them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk all grammar errors brought you by fat fingers and auto correct.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I think pretty much anything will go 250K miles today, especially if you're doing 30-40K miles/year and do above recommended maintenance.

Rust belt climates kill'em before the miles do.

If you bought a 2016 today will it go the distance? Who knows. Someone has put 4-5yrs on it already.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
^^^I think PoMan is right. But for many of us the RAM is the better $ value. Compare most any of the model truck packages and you can get more with a RAM than Ford, Chevy or GMC. That said RAM, like the others has quality issues with their parts vendors. Assembly issues and crap dealers. I bought my first Dodge truck in 86. Put 140k on it in 13 years. 360 engine auto trans 2wd. Never let us down. Wife towed a two horse trailer for most of those years.
In 2003 I bought a new generation RAM Quad Cab 1500 first year Hemi. Put 265K miles on it and sold it in 2019 after 16 years for $5,000. Only one major expense. Rebuilt the heads. $1800 parts and labor. I am guilty of OCD maintenance on my vehicles and I am sure that is why we get expected service out of them.
Today I have two 2018 RAM trucks purchased new factory orders. If I did that over I would buy a 2yr old truck. I have no tolerance for the manufacture and dealer Hollywood two step of blaming each other for defects and pissed off at the customer for complaining. Fitz

mrOAP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Anymore it is the luck of the draw! You have good ones and you have bad ones. This is my first 'used' truck purchase. I've always bought new. But even when I bought new I ended up with a GM lemon. Good luck with the decision!

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
just got rid of my 2012 1500 with 5.7l Hemi. has just over 175,000 miles on it.

Other than brakes pads/rotors, tires, gas and oil. the only item that went bad was the water pump, and the TIPM module. both easy fixes.

That truck had at least another 100k in it.

OP
OP
Firefight1981

Firefight1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'll agree with PoMansRam about the rust belt states rusting out some vehicles before the miles do.
I live in a cold weather state and looking at Rams that are in cold weather states.
I take good care of any vehicle I have owned and have always tried to wash off the winter road treatment salt the best I can.

phantomfixer

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2016 1500 5.7 4X4.I have 75000 miles on it and I've never replaced any parts except for scheduled maintenance.I haven't had any issues and I think it's a great truck

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've got 56k on my 2016, no issues other than self inflicted from lowering it

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram has the highest owner loyalty for a reason. People keep buying things that work for them. They have issues here and there as you mentioned, but I've now had a Ram D50, Dakota, a 05, 06, and a 17 current Ram. My dad has had rams my entire life. I got the wife an 18 Durango. Mom has a jeep with the 3.6. We never have issues

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I'd be confident about getting a Ram since FCA has been using the same powertrains for a few years. The Hemi is the same basic design from 2003 with improvements over the years. No turbos nor DI to worry about.
Sale with the Pentastar. Those Engines debuted almost a decade ago, by now most bugs have been ironed out. I own a 2014 with 267K miles. Engine replaced by the previous owner at 237K, original 845RE transmission still shifts very smooth. Oil changes every 5K. I'm planning to get 350K before I replace it with a newer one.

PS. Since you are towing a Pontoon, you'll be better served by the Hemi, otherwise get the Pentastar with 3.55 gearing (7500 lbs tow capacity); the Pentastar with 3.21 gears is capped at just below 5K lbs

Sent from OnePlus 7 PRO using Tapatalk

Bill Copple

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine is a 2010 1500 with The 4.7 flex Magnum engine with 227,000 miles on it. Until I sold it I towed a 23 foot bayliner bow rider boat every weekend in season with absolutely ZERO problems. Other than brake pads/rotors, tires, gas and oil all I’ve ever needed to do was replace the a/c expansion valve which I was able to complete myself with no problems.

Last edited:

christoff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have had 3 Rams since 1998. My current one is a 2008 5.7 QC with 3.92 gears that I bought new, and currently have 155k miles and still going strong. I tow, haul and off-road with it and is my daily driver. Like other members have mentioned, I also have done my own maintenance since the beginning and other than regular wear and tear items, I have only replaced an EGR valve and a wiper motor. I plan on keeping this truck for several more years.

When the time comes, I will definitely get another Ram.

Good luck with your decision.

Jetsfan122

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Express Crew Cab White
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I personally think a Ram is a great choice as I have had three over the last 20+ years, but how much drivability left in a vehicle depends on its use and maintenance by the previous owner. When buying a used vehicle it is a smart idea to have a knowledgeable mechanic do a very thorough analysis of the entire vehicle. It will cost some money but then you can make an informed decision. When I have purchased used vehicles I have steered clear of vehicles with lifts, oversized tires, and other modifications that can stress a vehicle. Also suggest considering moving one more year up, you might find some with warranty left. You may ask about extended warranties, please search the forum for the multiple threads on the topic. There are also multiple threads on towing, you will find some good information there. All of this can be used to make the best decision for your purpose. And finally, don't worry about the current truck, there are more out there that might be even more appealing to you. Good luck, and hope to read about your adventures with your new Ram.

This 1000% . I have a 2016 5.7 that I purchased new. I just hit 50,000 miles . No mechanical issues so far (Knock on wood)other than sub par work on my mechanic’s part doing routine maintenance . I absolutely love my truck and baby the hell out of it. This is my first Ram, but have purchased 3 consecutive new vehicles from Dodge. I couldn’t recommend the brand enough, BUT when purchasing used, it obviously depends on how the previous owner treated the vehicle ....

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
OK, here's my thoughts (drum roll please...)

All kidding aside. Today, it's hard to buy a truly bad truck. From any maker. Can you get one that's got issues, sure. Can you get one that will go 1/4 million miles, most likely. Are you going to get one that 100% perfect.... Hell no.

RAM has really surprised me lately. I was one of those that thought, RAM? must be #3 on purpose. Was I wrong. Are they perfect, no. Are they good, hell yes.

I guess that's why they are finally #2, purposeful building of good quality American made trucks.

P.S. don't buy that Toyota B.S., their #1 supplier is GM... Get my point? Nobody is 100% self made, they all oursource, and they all suffer tiny problems that annoy the pants off ultra-type-A personalities.

RAM has some really enduring features that no other truck has. If that's your thing, then this truck will not disappoint.