remote start / lock & unlock via cell...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

helldivex

Reaction score
So Im just looking for some feed back maybe some suggestions.
I'm using a cell phone that i leave in my truck for a hotspot...
So far i have a cheap Yi camera i wired up mounted above the backseat
that is on at all times. I can get notifications of movement and watch live anytime.

My next thought is to be able to unlock the doors and remote start via a wifi relay with momentary
switching...
The bad part is the best idea i have to pull this off cheaply and easy is to cannibalize one of my remotes. I plan to solder a battery holder for 2 double A batteries... I gather that will work for like 10000 years... and solder leads from the button connections to my Wifi relay. Then I can mount this neatly in a project box and hide it away in the cab.

Doing this i can use the wifi relay app to open my doors and start the truck... I can even set this app up on my girl friends phone allowing her to get in the truck and start it with out me.

Im also tickling the idea of programing a tasker event on my phone that would automatically unlock the truck doors upon Bluetooth visibility... but that may shoot me in the foot :) Just an idea

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
My next thought is to be able to unlock the doors and remote start via a wifi relay with momentary
switching...
You'll need more than a momentary relay to start the truck, you'll need a Data Bypass Module to allow the truck to start without a key.

OP
OP
H

helldivex

Reaction score
I actually have the remote start already in the truck. Click click click vroom.

deathbyburito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
I wonder if leaving the cannibalized key in the truck would prevent you from being able to lock the doors. Maybe they still lock with the remote even if there is a key in the truck.

OP
OP
H

helldivex

Reaction score
I leave a spare hidden in the truck... No problems so far