Replace head unit (2009 Ram 1500 w/ alpine)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WildWeasel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently purchased a 2009 ram with the alpine radio. The radio works, but the touch screen is dead so I can’t access all the features.

I see you can buy a used head unit for around $200 on eBay.

I am not an audiophile, but it would be nice to be able to connect my phone to the stereo. Im not looking to replace all of my speakers or spend a ton of money, I just want a functional stereo- stock or aftermarket (I just want it to look stockish).

What are your recommendations? Would I lose any functionality of the Truck by going aftermarket?

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Crutchfield lists several aftermarket systems that will work. (I have the same setup in mine, but it still works) The only functionality you'd lose is the GPS directions showing up in the EVIC and for me, I don't have a backup camera - I have the sensors and they'll interrupt the stereo with a warning beep. Not sure an aftermarket system will do that. If you have the backup cam, then that's not an issue. Might also be easier to add a cam with an aftermarket system.

I've considered replacing mine a time or two, but it works and isn't a priority yet.

ajairola

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Which radio do you currently have(three letters on the bottom right)? Aftermarket with idatalink is the way to go on the early 4th gens.