Replace Inner Panels when fixing rust?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2k9ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just curious on everyone's thoughts on replacing the inner panels when performing rust repair. I'm looking at having my rockers, cab corners, and my box sides replaced, Rust prevented for future, and Raptor box liner sprayed over the rockers, cab corners, and bottom of box sides.

The original quote was just for the outer's. Then I asked the question if we should be also replacing the inner's. Which lead to replacing my entire box.

The rust on my truck isnt bad at all yet. I don't care to throw money into the wind, but I also get nervous leaving the inner's in place and not replacing them when I do it.

Outer Rockers and cab corners, and both Box sides, Raptor lined rockers and bottom of box, Por-15 the inside of all panels, installed and painted about $8200.

Outer Rockers and cab corners, replace box with new one, Raptor lined rockers and bottom of box, Por-15 the inside of the panels, installed and painted about $9200. Also include undercoating...

Outer Rockers and cab corners, replace just passenger side box side, Raptor lined rockers and bottom of box, Por-15 rust prevent everything, about $7200. This also includes undercoating...

Any body guys in here? Thoughts opinions?

rwhjr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You’re going to pay $10k for bodywork on a 2009?

OP
OP

2k9ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You’re going to pay $10k for bodywork on a 2009?

Possibly. It's that or spend $40-$50k on something new. I owe nothing on the truck. Have owned it since new. Has the Lifetime Powertrain warranty. I could buy used at $25-$35k and have little warranty if any, and no guarantees that I won't have the same rust issues that are starting on my 10 year old truck. So yes I am considering it! Plus there is no way that I could buy my 10 year old truck for $10,000.

Jbp19classic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I feel your pain as far as hating rust. I grew up in Northern New England and first got into bodywork as a teenager fixing rust on my own cars. Rust always comes back. That being said, I prefer to be more minimalist with rust repair expenses. Especially if dealing with a small patch of rust on an overall panel that is still good. I’d rather cut out just the bad section and weld in a small patch (or even use fiberglass if the hole is small enough) instead of removing and replacing an entire panel like a bedside, rocker, etc.. If I can get away with a repair for a few hundred dollars that will last for 3-4 years before needing attention again I’d rather do that than sink a few thousand dollars into a full panel replacement. All that aside, it’s hard to make a good recommendation without really knowing what you’re dealing with. Is there any way you can post some close up pictures of the rust areas you’re dealing with? Both front and back/underside of panels if possible?

OP
OP

2k9ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I feel your pain as far as hating rust. I grew up in Northern New England and first got into bodywork as a teenager fixing rust on my own cars. Rust always comes back. That being said, I prefer to be more minimalist with rust repair expenses. Especially if dealing with a small patch of rust on an overall panel that is still good. I’d rather cut out just the bad section and weld in a small patch (or even use fiberglass if the hole is small enough) instead of removing and replacing an entire panel like a bedside, rocker, etc.. If I can get away with a repair for a few hundred dollars that will last for 3-4 years before needing attention again I’d rather do that than sink a few thousand dollars into a full panel replacement. All that aside, it’s hard to make a good recommendation without really knowing what you’re dealing with. Is there any way you can post some close up pictures of the rust areas you’re dealing with? Both front and back/underside of panels if possible?

So far it's not bad at all.

Cab Corners have speedliner on them and is starting to pull away from rust under.

Storage box on the floor appears to have quite a bit of surface rust around it.

Rear passenger side wheel lip is starting to peel.

I'm not a fan of patching it up for a few years. I'd prefer to replace the panel and hopefully be good to go for many years. The shop that would be doing the work is telling me if I do a full panel replacement and if I ever get rust on those panels they will warranty them.

IMG_20190710_175849267.jpg

IMG_20190709_164910064.jpg

IMG_20190704_151708_01.jpg

OP
OP

2k9ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Cab Corners have speedliner on them and is starting to pull away from rust under.

I'm not a fan of patching it up for a few years. I'd prefer to replace the panel and hopefully be good to go for many years. The shop that would be doing the work is telling me if I do a full panel replacement and if I ever get rust on those panels they will warranty them.

OP
OP

2k9ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

OP
OP

2k9ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

View attachment 173382 View attachment 173383 View attachment 173381

OP
OP

2k9ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

OP
OP

2k9ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

OP
OP

2k9ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well that is ugly... Apparently shouldn't use Microsoft Edge when typing a response...

Jbp19classic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well that is ugly... Apparently shouldn't use Microsoft Edge when typing a response...
Lol! I’ve seen your posts that you plan to keep the truck for the long run, especially given the lifetime warranty you have in effect. To me the answer of how long you honestly see yourself keeping truck dictates the expense. If you truly believe you’ll still have this truck for another 10 years or more then I see nothing wrong with investing in the extensive repairs, and if you’re going that far I definitely recommend doing the inner panels as well. With everything opened up and por 15’d from the inside it may well be better protected from future rust than it was from the factory if done right.

OP
OP

2k9ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lol! I’ve seen your posts that you plan to keep the truck for the long run, especially given the lifetime warranty you have in effect. To me the answer of how long you honestly see yourself keeping truck dictates the expense. If you truly believe you’ll still have this truck for another 10 years or more then I see nothing wrong with investing in the extensive repairs, and if you’re going that far I definitely recommend doing the inner panels as well. With everything opened up and por 15’d from the inside it may well be better protected from future rust than it was from the factory if done right.

Yep still kicking around the idea of keeping it. Guess a big part of me isn't ready to part ways with it quite yet. Yet for some reason it still feels foolish to spend that kind of money in fixing it when I know damn good and well something else will show rust as soon as I have these items replaced.

The shop wasn't going to do the inners until I asked. Then they said they could. So I was hoping turning to the forum I would have someone that would have some good insight on whether they truly need to be replaced or not.

I'm not a fan of throwing money into the wind and replacing something that really doesn't need to be replaced. I surely don't know enough about Auto Body to know what the right thing is to do.

If I fix it my plan would be to keep it for the unforeseeable future. Soon I'll be at the point that it's worth more to me then to trade it off for the few grand I'd get. If it was still around when my son started driving I think it would be cool to hand him the keys as his first truck if it was still decent.