Replacing Tail/Stop/turn lights with LED bulbs 2019 1500 Classic

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RonMorris

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, so I replaced my Tail light(3157) bulbs with After market LED. I immediately started getting errors stating that the bulbs were out despite working fine. Turn signals would rapid flash and I got bulb out errors for Stop light, Tail lights, and both sides turn signals. What idiot at Dodge thought this was a good idea? It cost me less than $20 for the new bulbs, and about $230CAD to fix the problem after buying the OBDLink MX+ and the AlfaOBD software. It shouldn't cost $250 for new LED bulbs. This is supposed to be a user serviceable part. And I'll be damned if I'm going to pay Mopar service for an hour in the shop for 5 minutes of work to fix the program. On a side note, thanks to the extra expenses I have access to turn on features that were available to me but disable from the factory for my truck. I now have automatic High beams that I didn't have prior.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Ok, so I replaced my Tail light(3157) bulbs with After market LED. I immediately started getting errors stating that the bulbs were out despite working fine. Turn signals would rapid flash and I got bulb out errors for Stop light, Tail lights, and both sides turn signals. What idiot at Dodge thought this was a good idea?
So you change the light bulbs from the specified part that works with the bulb out detection thinking there wouldn't be problems? I think the "idiot" at Dodge was smart enough to use a BCM that's programmable for both incandescent and LED type bulbs for the one who don't think there would be problems.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
What LED 3157 bulb does not Hyper Flash, I have read some even with Canbus Hyper flash ! Inquiring minds want to know :)

Ramagain

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
LED change requires BCM programming unless there's some way the plug amplifies the current draw
Ok, so I replaced my Tail light(3157) bulbs with After market LED. I immediately started getting errors stating that the bulbs were out despite working fine. Turn signals would rapid flash and I got bulb out errors for Stop light, Tail lights, and both sides turn signals. What idiot at Dodge thought this was a good idea? It cost me less than $20 for the new bulbs, and about $230CAD to fix the problem after buying the OBDLink MX+ and the AlfaOBD software. It shouldn't cost $250 for new LED bulbs. This is supposed to be a user serviceable part. And I'll be damned if I'm going to pay Mopar service for an hour in the shop for 5 minutes of work to fix the program. On a side note, thanks to the extra expenses I have access to turn on features that were available to me but disable from the factory for my truck. I now have automatic High beams that I didn't have prior.
You do realize the LEDs draw less amperage, right?

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So in the fine print of some bulbs it’s listed that ram trucks don’t like the canbus compatible bulbs either no matter what and will require resistors.

Attachments

• 1EF142B2-AADF-4E98-A942-E0F86ECBC8F6.png
    1EF142B2-AADF-4E98-A942-E0F86ECBC8F6.png
    244.6 KB · Views: 10