Retractable running boards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GKrabbe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 H
Hello all,

7 years ago I purchased a set of Bestop powered running boards. Within 90 days they were jamming up and from then on required cleaning and oiling every 6 months or less. Last spring I was too busy to maintain and they both locked up mid summer. When I finally got around to servicing them this weekend I was disappointed to find that the aluminum swing arms were completely oxidized and the powder-coating had lifted off on 90% of the surfaces (photo). Pivots were so bound up that I have to assume corrosion has made its way into the joints too. They are no longer serviceable.

20210531_144613.jpg

When they were working I really liked them and want to replace with a better product. Anyone out there have long term experience with the AMP research or RPB products? Any preferences or recommendations?

Thanks!

Htsderek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I've had the AMP power steps for two years and haven't had any issue. I've looked at them when I'm under the truck changing the oil and the brackets and steps look great.

I live near Monterey Bay and get some coastal fog and ocean breeze, not as much rain as you might in Oregon, but no corrosion on the steps.

The only thing I think is strange about them was the need to adjust them during installation by "jumping up and down on them". Once "adjusted" I haven't had any issues.

dieseldave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've had the AMP power steps for two years and haven't had any issue. I've looked at them when I'm under the truck changing the oil and the brackets and steps look great.

I live near Monterey Bay and get some coastal fog and ocean breeze, not as much rain as you might in Oregon, but no corrosion on the steps.

The only thing I think is strange about them was the need to adjust them during installation by "jumping up and down on them". Once "adjusted" I haven't had any issues.
What do you mean by ,adjust them

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
I have the RBP ones .... I've had them now for almost 2 years and not a single problem .... I recommend these over the AMPs ....

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G

GKrabbe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 H
Thanks CAG - I like the RPB dual motor design. Does not appear that AMP has a dual motor version for my truck. I'll go with the RPB steps.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
Thanks CAG - I like the RPB dual motor design. Does not appear that AMP has a dual motor version for my truck. I'll go with the RPB steps.

Correct .... I have seen a lot of people talk about the motor on the AMPS going bad especially in areas where it snows and rains a lot ... I have not seen anyone complaint or report the motors on the RBPs going bad at all ....

bigdodge

Reaction score
I have the dual motor version on my 15. They have been great for the 2 years I've had them in Indiana weather.

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk

Htsderek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
What do you mean by ,adjust them

After the boards are installed, if all the brackets are on place and they hit the pinch weld on the bottom of the cab as they retract the "adjustment" was to extend them and find a couple of guys to jump on them and "seat" them.

I saw it on a couple of forums and somewhere in AMPs documentation but I don't see it popping up now.

Mine were hitting, I left them extended and used them for a couple of days and they have been fine ever since.

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My AMP's have been flawless for 8 or 9 years now *knock on wood*. On the east coast. I do undercoat every year though and keep the bushings lubricated so that has probably helped with longevity. They have locked up a couple of times in the winter if I allowed slush to freeze on there. But I imagine any of the power steps would do that.

OP
OP
G

GKrabbe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 H
Smoothee - thanks for the "long term" review. After 8 - 9 years do the arms show any signs of corrosion?

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Smoothee - thanks for the "long term" review. After 8 - 9 years do the arms show any signs of corrosion?

No, not at all. I can get a few pics tomorrow. I forgot to mention that the driver side step started to peel before the 5 year warranty was up so had it replaced no questions asked. But the 2nd one has been fine. I'm thinking that started with a rock chip or something and pressure washing it probably sped along the process.

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I had the same issue with the Bestop’s, they’d last 1 winter in Chicago before they were locked up. Bestop’s warranty & customer service is non-existent. I went thru 3 sets of linkages before I took everything off & threw it out.

You won’t be getting RBP’s ANY time soon. I called them and they said they don’t have any instock and the soonest they expect to get them back in is next year.

tobyd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L V6 Diesel
My 2015 has AMP boards on it. As far as I know they were fitted early on by the first owner, so about 100k miles ago. All of it Colorado miles. We get lots of large grit / small pebbles spread on roads here in winter and the linkages on mine seemed to get bound up with that. I've only had it since February, and the previous owner seemed to be fairly slack on maintenance. Not that I'm much better, but he was very much a set-and-forget kind of guy. At least I now know these require regular preventative maintenance.

About a week after I got the truck one board didn't retract, staying extended overnight. Killed the battery. I later discovered it was because the board was constantly trying to retract and that did it. It was obvious because the motor was pretty warm.

AMP said it could either be the motor or the controller gone out. Each were ~$100 so I bought both with the hope of only needing to replace one.

With the system jammed I had to remove the motor anyway to free it up, at which point it was obvious that the linkage was stuck. Turns out there was a bunch of grit and pebbles caught in the joints. Without the motor to get in the way of motion I was able to get it all cleaned out easily enough. Lubed it, replaced the controller, and the old motor worked in testing. I replaced it anyway (AMP put the fear in me that a damaged motor could ruin a new controller, and a damaged controller could ruin a new motor), and it's all working fine.

Long story, sorry, but the morale here is that you'll need to keep it clean and well lubed.

One interesting thing is that when removing the drive motor it was obvious that the plastic cover over the gearbox is a garbage seal. See attached photos. One is the interior side of the gearbox cover with lots of dirt ingress, and the other is the gearbox housing all corroded around the seal face.

If you could find a dual motor system that'd be nice, but I'd also look for one that had an actual seal inside the gearbox instead of just a friggin piece of flat plastic hoping to keep out dirt and water.

Toby.

2021-04-04 16.45.49.jpg

2021-04-04 16.33.46.jpg

2021-04-04 16.33.38.jpg

OP
OP
G

GKrabbe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 H
Thanks for all of the input. Maintenance I can handle, complete failure of corrosion protection is more challenging. I think adding some kind of shield to protect the motors and arms from tire spray will go along with the next install.

AzRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I've had the Amps since 2016. No issues with corrosion, or any other issues. They've seen a little rain and a little snow, but mostly just heat, (live near Phoenix). They can get a little jammed up with snow when it's gets to the slushy stage, but a couple of knocks with the ice scraper get's them back in shape.

dieseldave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for all of the input. Maintenance I can handle, complete failure of corrosion protection is more challenging. I think adding some kind of shield to protect the motors and arms from tire spray will go along with the next install.
What do you lubricant them with ?

Danny Phillips

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have had mine for 6 years and have never had any trouble. Never lubed them either. AMP steps.