Retrofitting OEM projector headlights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rotciv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I am gathering up information on how to retrofit some projector headlights at the same time finding some OEM chrome projectors. Most of the previous posts are about HID projectors but I would like to install the Morimoto MLED 2.0. Is the task tedious, or is it best to have someone else retrofit them? Also where would I find all the necessary brackets and such if I were to do them myself?

Last edited:

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
MLEDs should retrofit into your projector headlights, you just have to open them up and fit them.

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hardest part would be opening up the housings. The glue that seals them is a pain to work with. I believe there are adapters that should convert the stock projector holt pattern to a morimoto pattern. At that point it'd just be bolting it in, and wiring it up.

OP
OP
R

Rotciv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
MLEDs should retrofit into your projector headlights, you just have to open them up and fit them.
Hardest part would be opening up the housings. The glue that seals them is a pain to work with. I believe there are adapters that should convert the stock projector holt pattern to a morimoto pattern. At that point it'd just be bolting it in, and wiring it up.
I've seen about the adhesive being tough to open. I'll use the cardboard method then. How do I look for splitters since I want to to keep the reflector high as well? I know it's 9005 but all I'm seeing is splitters for 9006.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
9005/9006 splitters will work. Just keep the headlight hot to where the permaseal is pliable.

Keep a heat gun handy...

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've seen about the adhesive being tough to open. I'll use the cardboard method then. How do I look for splitters since I want to to keep the reflector high as well? I know it's 9005 but all I'm seeing is splitters for 9006.
I may be wrong, but I thought the oem projectors had a cutoff shield that dropped when the highs were engaged. If that's the case, there should be a wire going to the cutoff solenoid that you can splice the morimoto cutoff wire into. I could be wrong, but I thought that's what I read before.

OP
OP
R

Rotciv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I may be wrong, but I thought the oem projectors had a cutoff shield that dropped when the highs were engaged. If that's the case, there should be a wire going to the cutoff solenoid that you can splice the morimoto cutoff wire into. I could be wrong, but I thought that's what I read before.
I believe they're bi-halogen since that's what few people refer them to and on some certain sites. Also this is something I think that aftermarket headlights lack. I want to run the high beams as DRL by retrofitting halogen 9011 HIR bulbs to avoid flickering.

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I believe they're bi-halogen since that's what few people refer them to and on some certain sites. Also this is something I think that aftermarket headlights lack. I want to run the high beams as DRL by retrofitting halogen 9011 HIR bulbs to avoid flickering.
If you're going through the process of retrofitting the lights, couldn't you just add the switchback setup for the turn signals and keep the high beams as standing high beam like factory and set the system to bixenon via alfaobd to prevent any kind of flicker?

OP
OP
R

Rotciv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If you're going through the process of retrofitting the lights, couldn't you just add the switchback setup for the turn signals and keep the high beams as standing high beam like factory and set the system to bixenon via alfaobd to prevent any kind of flicker?
That's also in my plans to add the diode dynamics switchback boards. I've been reading posts of previous people who had issues with the drivers causing them to malfunction?

16WhiteQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had mine done by Jeremy with D2S 5.0's, in hindsight I would probably do the Mled 2.0's.

Don't get me wrong, the D2S 5.0's are amazing, but getting the HID color/output I want is not as easy with the AR coating on them.

Opening the lights will be a royal PITA, hence I had Jeremy do it. No leaks or issues after the retrofit!

OP
OP
R

Rotciv

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I had mine done by Jeremy with D2S 5.0's, in hindsight I would probably do the Mled 2.0's.

Don't get me wrong, the D2S 5.0's are amazing, but getting the HID color/output I want is not as easy with the AR coating on them.

Opening the lights will be a royal PITA, hence I had Jeremy do it. No leaks or issues after the retrofit!
Costly for the service (well not as much really) and the parts I would like inside. Hopefully there's a sale for some of the parts I need near the end of the year. I will sell my Morimoto XB headlights to offset the cost.