Revmax thermal bypass

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
For those thinking about installing the thermal bypass on the transmission dont wait just do it. It’s an easy swap out. Takes all of about 45min to maybe an hour to do so. This is the second truck I have installed one on and I believe it is a must have for controlling the temperatures. I lost a total of 1 quart of fluid in the process so account for that when doing it.

Attachments

• IMG_1383.jpeg
    IMG_1383.jpeg
    127.2 KB · Views: 22

akguy09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you really notice a Temp difference, I installed one on the 68RFE in my 2012 Cummins and noticed no change whatsoever, I thought is was disappointing, mine was REVMAX, but another name brand company with the same styled device.

My 21' PW the 8SPD trans seems to consistently run 167, even pulling my dump trailer.

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Absolutely I do. Mine is the 6sp 66rfe but Before the install it would run 170-174 and now I haven’t seen temps above 142 so far. That was on an highway drive in 75-80 degree temps. Even on 15 min short trips it barely breaks 100-110 on my way to work. Depends on the outside temp obviously. The same temps were read on my last truck I did the install on. I drove it to Florida last year and never seen anything over 150ish even going across jelico mountain.

powerwgn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For those thinking about installing the thermal bypass on the transmission dont wait just do it. It’s an easy swap out. Takes all of about 45min to maybe an hour to do so. This is the second truck I have installed one on and I believe it is a must have for controlling the temperatures. I lost a total of 1 quart of fluid in the process so account for that when doing it.
Would this work on my 2013 Power Wagon? Do you have a link?

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yes it should if you have a thermal block on your trans lines. Pretty sure the 2013 does but might want to verify
Revmax 68RFE ZeroStat Transmission Cooler Thermostatic Upgraded Bypass with O-rings | Compatible with 2013-18 ZeroStat Patented Technology | Billet 6061 Aluminum https://a.co/d/9vQVMv5

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I know it says for 68rfe trans but it’s for the 66rfe also.

Gordo2212

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
Is there an install video you checked out before replacing?

Adventurebound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just out of curiosity as I'm not familiar with these. I'm pretty sure if overheated transmissions were an issue Ram would have done this "simple" fix from the factory? My last truck (non Chrysler) ran 200 degrees + for the 180k miles I owned it and never had an issue.

Not saying its not needed but could someone explain why this IS needed.

OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
OP
OP
buckeyexx

buckeyexx

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Just out of curiosity as I'm not familiar with these. I'm pretty sure if overheated transmissions were an issue Ram would have done this "simple" fix from the factory? My last truck (non Chrysler) ran 200 degrees + for the 180k miles I owned it and never had an issue.

Not saying its not needed but could someone explain why this IS needed.
The valve inside of the thermo block can become stuck closed keeping the fluid from circulating which causes the trans to overheat at that point. It just eliminates a failure point and allows the fluid to flow without restriction.

Gordo2212

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 3500 Tradesman
Engine
6.4 L Hemi
Just did this today and I'll tell you what. It's a lot harder than the video's make it look. LOL

The top screw was so freaking tight, what a PIA to get that loose, especially with how tight it is to get up there. Then the bottom line was bent in a way that didn't let the nut push back after it was loose. Then after I was done getting it all back together I saw that one of the green flanges came off, it was in my oil catch bin. I drove it around and didn't see any active leakage so I guess it's good? I have a 2018 3500 with the 6.4 so both sides of the lines are aluminum I believe so I don't see how it would come apart anyway.

There was a tiny bit to wipe off after the drive but I think that was still left over from in the threads from putting it back on. I'll check on it tomorrow after a drive.

Still worth it though to get those trans temps down I think.