Ride height with AlfaOBD (air suspension)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmac0805

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Maybe @bigdaddyhouse can make a video for us chicken ***** lol

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

MrDazana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I saw
Maybe @bigdaddyhouse can make a video for us chicken ***** lol

I've seen his videos...he doesn't have Air ride lol. Seriously though, its not complicated at all. I think the one that put me on my nerves a bit is the option to release air to atmosphere. Just make sure you have your original numbers handy, so if things do go south, you can always revert back to what they were befor

bmac0805

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ya right on. Thanks a million. I'm gonna try this week.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The settings changed are for normal mode only. You can't modify the other ride heights. The computer reads the ride height sensor information and it adjust accordingly. If you gained in height in normal mode, the other levels will be higher. In my case, the entry mode is now normal ride height.
Thanks. Wasn't sure if it had a different set of parameters for all heights or if it worked of a base set. My truck 8s in the shop and one of the problems is intermittent lowerering overnight so maybe when I get it back it will be better, but if not I really want to get the front left to the same height as front right.

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thanks. Wasn't sure if it had a different set of parameters for all heights or if it worked of a base set. My truck 8s in the shop and one of the problems is intermittent lowerering overnight so maybe when I get it back it will be better, but if not I really want to get the front left to the same height as front right.

The air suspension is fickle to say the least. Mine has been adjusting itself every day for quite awhile now when always in normal ride height and it drives me crazy. Suddenly an idea hit my feeble brain last night and i unplugged the AMP steps OBD connector, cycled through the height settings and put it back to normal. Guess what? It stopped adjusting itself! Stayed put all night and this morning was the same height still. Plugged in the OBD and crap there it goes! AMP says the OBD connector is talking to the CANBUS system so they are sending a new OBD plug. Go figure.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The air suspension is fickle to say the least. Mine has been adjusting itself every day for quite awhile now when always in normal ride height and it drives me crazy. Suddenly an idea hit my feeble brain last night and i unplugged the AMP steps OBD connector, cycled through the height settings and put it back to normal. Guess what? It stopped adjusting itself! Stayed put all night and this morning was the same height still. Plugged in the OBD and crap there it goes! AMP says the OBD connector is talking to the CANBUS system so they are sending a new OBD plug. Go figure.
I don't have the amp steps, but with it being intermittent I could see a bad sensor or wiring issue being the problem. Front left has always been .75 low and was told that's normal, but it drives me bananas so I'm hoping the truck does the intermittent drop while its there and solving that issue results in the truck sitting flatter left to right once recalibrated.

TonyMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 CC 6"4 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Same for me with front left being lower by 3/4 inch. I do have the AMP steps with the OBD interface.

bmac0805

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
yes.

After you conmnect to the ASCM. go read the system info. About halfway down, you see the ride height for each air bag
Where is system.info? Sorry totally suck at this

bmac0805

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
So I totally messed up and now have a suspension needs immediate repair message. [emoji2357][emoji2357]

TonyMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 CC 6"4 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I totally messed up and now have a suspension needs immediate repair message. [emoji2357][emoji2357]

What have you done?? [emoji15]

bmac0805

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I was looking for system info lol...I dont know. Truck seems to be working fine but I sporadically get the message. It's gone away now.

bmac0805

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I should have waited for a more step by step post lol

OP
OP
M

MrDazana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I never used a step by step post :p. When i first touched the air ride setting I never completed the process so i was getting the service air suspension error all the time. I was hoping at the time that I would get the values of the air ride system. Instead, the system went into calibration mode and stayed there. Truck rode like **** until I went back into Adjust ride height and completed the steps. Error went away and from there truck rode much better.

bmac0805

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I never used a step by step post :p. When i first touched the air ride setting I never completed the process so i was getting the service air suspension error all the time. I was hoping at the time that I would get the values of the air ride system. Instead, the system went into calibration mode and stayed there. Truck rode like **** until I went back into Adjust ride height and completed the steps. Error went away and from there truck rode much better.
Exactly what I did. I'll tackle it again soon

bmac0805

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ended up getting the revel performance quick links. It was easier to do then alphaobd. I think the ride quality may have been better with alphaobd, but I cant risk screwing up the suspension again. Dealer reset this one for free. Hopefully somebody will post a step by step someday. Tha is for the info anyways guys. This is such a great forum.

bubbasneed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was messing around with some settings over the summer because my Ram sits lower on the front left. At first I had an issue with Alpha setting the values and it put my truck in Shipping mode so the air suspension was disabled, but I was able to put it back to normal operating mode pretty easily. My goal was to get rid of the lean on the drivers side and raise the normal ride height so I would be leveled. I am running larger tires and wheels so I needed the clearance.

I was originally at FL 81 FR 86 RL 82 RR 77 and after some trial and error I settled on FL 95, FR 86, RL 89, RR 80. I also installed the CL adjustable links in the front and was adjusting those also. It pretty much accomplished what I wanted but the front left still has a small lean to it so I may go back in and try to raise it a little more, or lower the front right.

I had an issue with the front left dropping after it sat a while due to a the front strut leaking air, I replaced that and it seems to be better, but it still seems like it drops a little.

The Ram Rebels have air suspension and they ride about an inch higher than the regular rams but you can adjust yours with Alpha. So basically your Offroad 1 height becomes your normal drive height, and Offroad 2 just says Offroad. I made this change also. The truck does fell like it has a bouncier ride with this setting. It is an easy change , go into Body control module and change the setting Offroad Vehicle to Yes.

I want to do a lift but the only one I can find is a BDS 4" lift which would be about $3,000 installed and with having issues with the air suspension I am kind of worried about it, so I have not pulled the trigger on that yet. I also thought about doing away with the air suspension altogether and just doing a 6" lift, that would be a cheaper option and I wouldn't have to worry about the air suspension giving me any more issues. I feel like that would hurt the value of the truck though so I haven't done anything with the lift yet.

When I bought the truck I was excited that it had the air suspension, but I don't think I would buy it again due to how much it cost to work on it. It doesn't cost that much to add it as an option when buying new ($1,700 roughly) but when my strut was leaking the dealer quoted me $2,300 to change that one strut...crazy. I bought an Arnott strut from rock auto for $700 and did it myself.

This is a great thread, thanks OP for getting it started.

miketx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A Rebel only has 4 modes: Entry/Exit, Aero, Normal, and Offroad. I'm not sure what you mean about Offroad 1 and Offroad 2. Maybe those are settings in AlfaOBD?

bubbasneed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A Rebel only has 4 modes: Entry/Exit, Aero, Normal, and Offroad. I'm not sure what you mean about Offroad 1 and Offroad 2. Maybe those are settings in AlfaOBD?

A non Rebel Ram has 5 modes, Entry/Exit, normal, Aero, Offroad 1, and Offroad 2. The Rebel’s normal ride height is the same as Offroad 1 on a non Rebel model.

With Alfa you can change it to mirror the Rebels 4 modes. It is like being able to set Offroad 1 as normal height.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

miketx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cool...thanks for the reply. So I wonder if AlfaOBD knows when you have a Rebel and presents only 4 options? Not sure how you'd adjust a Rebel if there were 5 options.

air ride crap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 1500
Engine
V8 Hemi
I was messing around with some settings over the summer because my Ram sits lower on the front left. At first I had an issue with Alpha setting the values and it put my truck in Shipping mode so the air suspension was disabled, but I was able to put it back to normal operating mode pretty easily. My goal was to get rid of the lean on the drivers side and raise the normal ride height so I would be leveled. I am running larger tires and wheels so I needed the clearance.

I was originally at FL 81 FR 86 RL 82 RR 77 and after some trial and error I settled on FL 95, FR 86, RL 89, RR 80. I also installed the CL adjustable links in the front and was adjusting those also. It pretty much accomplished what I wanted but the front left still has a small lean to it so I may go back in and try to raise it a little more, or lower the front right.

I had an issue with the front left dropping after it sat a while due to a the front strut leaking air, I replaced that and it seems to be better, but it still seems like it drops a little.

The Ram Rebels have air suspension and they ride about an inch higher than the regular rams but you can adjust yours with Alpha. So basically your Offroad 1 height becomes your normal drive height, and Offroad 2 just says Offroad. I made this change also. The truck does fell like it has a bouncier ride with this setting. It is an easy change , go into Body control module and change the setting Offroad Vehicle to Yes.

I want to do a lift but the only one I can find is a BDS 4" lift which would be about $3,000 installed and with having issues with the air suspension I am kind of worried about it, so I have not pulled the trigger on that yet. I also thought about doing away with the air suspension altogether and just doing a 6" lift, that would be a cheaper option and I wouldn't have to worry about the air suspension giving me any more issues. I feel like that would hurt the value of the truck though so I haven't done anything with the lift yet.

When I bought the truck I was excited that it had the air suspension, but I don't think I would buy it again due to how much it cost to work on it. It doesn't cost that much to add it as an option when buying new ($1,700 roughly) but when my strut was leaking the dealer quoted me $2,300 to change that one strut...crazy. I bought an Arnott strut from rock auto for $700 and did it myself.

This is a great thread, thanks OP for getting it started.
can you post instructions for how to remove/de-activate the crappy air ride suspension and replace it with standard suspension?