Ride Quality, Rebel vs Laramie

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gzig5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I'm on the verge of buying a 2020 Ram. My option list seems to be impossible to fill from the available stock, but a couple are close but will have to be brought in. I like the look of the Rebel but don't plan on any off-roading, but it has the 3.92, E-loc, and some other things I want. Can anyone comment on the ride quality between a Rebel, or Off-Road option and the standard suspension on a Laramie? I've driven a Laramie North Edition but the local dealers don't have a Rebel or off road to try and I'd like to have an idea of suspension stiffness, if any over the standard truck. The description says "heavy duty shocks" but real information is severely lacking on the Ram site. I love the ride in the Laramie.

Seems that the transfer case on the Rebel is a bit different too.

Beltsand

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A (prior 2010,2019,2022)
Engine
Cummins
I'm on the verge of buying a 2020 Ram. My option list seems to be impossible to fill from the available stock, but a couple are close but will have to be brought in. I like the look of the Rebel but don't plan on any off-roading, but it has the 3.92, E-loc, and some other things I want. Can anyone comment on the ride quality between a Rebel, or Off-Road option and the standard suspension on a Laramie? I've driven a Laramie North Edition but the local dealers don't have a Rebel or off road to try and I'd like to have an idea of suspension stiffness, if any over the standard truck. The description says "heavy duty shocks" but real information is severely lacking on the Ram site. I love the ride in the Laramie.

Seems that the transfer case on the Rebel is a bit different too.

I have not driven the Rebel (ventilated seats was on my must list), but I did test drive the standard suspension and purchased the ORP, both without air ride. I have not felt any significant difference between the ORP and standard in daily driving. If I'm not mistaken, the shocks are different between the Rebel and ORP, and for sure the tires are. After over 12k miles, I have been very happy with mine.

HitchHiker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have not driven the Rebel (ventilated seats was on my must list), but I did test drive the standard suspension and purchased the ORP, both without air ride. I have not felt any significant difference between the ORP and standard in daily driving. If I'm not mistaken, the shocks are different between the Rebel and ORP, and for sure the tires are. After over 12k miles, I have been very happy with mine.

I do believe you can option a Rebel now with heater and ventilated front seats, but only heated rear seats. I don’t really care about having ventilated rear seats myself. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I do believe you can option a Rebel now with heater and ventilated front seats, but only heated rear seats. I don’t really care about having ventilated rear seats myself. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can get a Rebel with heated front seats, but not ventilated. Which is why I bought a Laramie with the ORG. Also, no heated or ventilated rear seats for the Rebel. I don't know about the options for 2021 though. If I can get a Rebel with the 12 inch display, leather interior, and ventilated seats I'd trade my 2020 in today LOL.

Ride quality in the Laramie with the ORG is as good as the Laramie without the ORG on the trucks that I test drove. I really couldn't tell the difference between the two. Maybe if the test drive route had rougher road surfaces. The ride in my daughter's 2019 Rebel is almost as smooth as it is in my Laramie. To which I attribute the 10 ply tires the Rebel has.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
If you plan on towing anything, the Laramie is your choice. The payload on the rebel is abysmal.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I test drove a rebel, and then bought a Laramie. The rebel is the off road version, and I thought it rode pretty rough for the street. I was drawn to the looks of the rebel. I really wont ever do any off road driving. Once I test drove one, that cured me on that. Just my 2cents on the topic.

ncgrl1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 RAM LongHorn 4x4
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The ride would probably be a lot closer if the Rebel didn't have E rated tires. The pressures Ram recommends are 55 front and 45 rear. The tires are heavy and stiff. The 4th gen Rebels had D rated tires. I don't understand why they changed on a 1/2 ton truck.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I got the ORP on my laramie and the truck rides great. my friends mostly drive other brands but they all comment about how nice mine is on the inside and how good it rides. I dont off-road but wanted the little bit more lift and stiffer shocks because I tow a travel trailer occasionally. I think the skid plates might help me at a campsite someday or on a mountain road going thru snow or fallen debris, so got those. I also got the 20" all terrain falken wildpeaks. they are quiet on the road and have gripped well in snow and heavy rain. those E rated tires on the Rebel probably make a lot of difference in the ride.

OP
OP
G

gzig5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Thanks for the additional insight! I think I'll steer clear of the Rebel. One thing I won't do without is the 33gal tank and that knocks a lot of contenders out from the available stock. A lot of Rebels get the 33 gal tank, so that's why I was looking at them. Found a Laramie with everything I want, but it has the sunroof, which I could live without. There are a couple Big Horns and other Laramie that are close but not quite there. I'd rather not have to wait by ordering a 2021. My current truck needs tires and if I wait that's going to cost me $1000 I won't get back on the trade in. Decisions, decisions...

Neil E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you plan on towing anything, the Laramie is your choice. The payload on the rebel is abysmal.

According to Ram's website. The towing and payload is the same as any other Ram truck with the 5.7 / 3.92. I know the 4th Gen was, I'm looking at a 5th Gen, and this is the first thing I looked at, as I'm planning on towing, myself. Not sure about the OP.

Actually the payload is 1690 vs 1770 on some of the other crew cabs, but it's 1690 on the Laramie and Rebel.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
My 2017 Rebel ride is great even with E tires, but I have the air suspension, that may make a difference. A friend has a 2017 1500 standard suspension and the ride is very different, not in a good way. My actual payload rating with crew cab and Ramboxes is 1147, not the generic 1630 that's shown on the website and other places.

bellaireroad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I must be missing something, I thought the air ride was standard on the rebel? How is that less smooth than the Laramie without air ride?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
I have no idea, can't imagine that it's actually the case (my friend's rig is a BH with the 3.0) Not sure about the air susp being standard, in 2017 it was an option.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl

the payload on my '19 laramie is only 1324#..not close to the capability in the MFR. ads so be sure to check the door jamb for the real number when shopping. it does tow great tho. just have to pack lite

ParamG

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I bought a 2020 rebel ecodiesel and I love it personally for me it drives better then my old 2019 ram classic night edition.

I test drove a Laramie but I dont know I just felt like the rebel handled better and I was content with the 8.4 android screen as opposed to the 12 inch. I hate changing the temperature and air on the screen i am too accustomed to the nobs.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have no idea, can't imagine that it's actually the case (my friend's rig is a BH with the 3.0) Not sure about the air susp being standard, in 2017 it was an option.
Was not an option for the Rebel in 2017. All Rebels produced up through model year 2018 came with air suspension. In fact, you couldn't buy a Rebel without it until the 5th gens came out for the 2019 model year. That's one reason I traded my 2017 Rebel in late last year. I loved the air suspension, but was nearing the end of my factory warranty. Air suspension will fail eventually. And I wasn't looking forward to paying for that out of pocket.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Was not an option for the Rebel in 2017. All Rebels produced up through model year 2018 came with air suspension. In fact, you couldn't buy a Rebel without it until the 5th gens came out for the 2019 model year. That's one reason I traded my 2017 Rebel in late last year. I loved the air suspension, but was nearing the end of my factory warranty. Air suspension will fail eventually. And I wasn't looking forward to paying for that out of pocket.
So it was, just checked my window sticker...

Marley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If they ever offered the Rebel in HD I'd be all over it, love the appearance, exterior and interior.

I tow and the current Rebel simply has no payload.
Ride doesn't bother me......drove Jeeps my whole life. Lol

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If they ever offered the Rebel in HD I'd be all over it, love the appearance, exterior and interior.
They do, it's called a PowerWagon. The Rebel does have some unique styling but so does the PowerWagon along with the off-road functionality.

Marley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They do, it's called a PowerWagon. The Rebel does have some unique styling but so does the PowerWagon along with the off-road functionality.

Yep, test drove the 2020 PW......had to push the wife up in it " didn't mind " and felt like a man's truck but she said it's to high for her.