Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ride Quality, Rebel vs Laramie

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by gzig5, Jul 27, 2020.

1. gzig5

gzig5 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi
    I'm on the verge of buying a 2020 Ram. My option list seems to be impossible to fill from the available stock, but a couple are close but will have to be brought in. I like the look of the Rebel but don't plan on any off-roading, but it has the 3.92, E-loc, and some other things I want. Can anyone comment on the ride quality between a Rebel, or Off-Road option and the standard suspension on a Laramie? I've driven a Laramie North Edition but the local dealers don't have a Rebel or off road to try and I'd like to have an idea of suspension stiffness, if any over the standard truck. The description says "heavy duty shocks" but real information is severely lacking on the Ram site. I love the ride in the Laramie.

Seems that the transfer case on the Rebel is a bit different too.

2. Beltsand

Beltsand Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7L Hemi eTorque
    I have not driven the Rebel (ventilated seats was on my must list), but I did test drive the standard suspension and purchased the ORP, both without air ride. I have not felt any significant difference between the ORP and standard in daily driving. If I'm not mistaken, the shocks are different between the Rebel and ORP, and for sure the tires are. After over 12k miles, I have been very happy with mine.

HitchHiker and gzig5 like this.
  3. HitchHiker

HitchHiker Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I do believe you can option a Rebel now with heater and ventilated front seats, but only heated rear seats. I don’t really care about having ventilated rear seats myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. mikeru

mikeru Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2020 Laramie
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7L
    You can get a Rebel with heated front seats, but not ventilated. Which is why I bought a Laramie with the ORG. Also, no heated or ventilated rear seats for the Rebel. I don't know about the options for 2021 though. If I can get a Rebel with the 12 inch display, leather interior, and ventilated seats I'd trade my 2020 in today LOL.

Ride quality in the Laramie with the ORG is as good as the Laramie without the ORG on the trucks that I test drove. I really couldn't tell the difference between the two. Maybe if the test drive route had rougher road surfaces. The ride in my daughter's 2019 Rebel is almost as smooth as it is in my Laramie. To which I attribute the 10 ply tires the Rebel has.

gzig5 likes this.
  5. Sandevino

Sandevino Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    If you plan on towing anything, the Laramie is your choice. The payload on the rebel is abysmal.

6. stevenP

stevenP Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2014 3500 DRW
    Engine:
    6.7L Cummins
    I test drove a rebel, and then bought a Laramie. The rebel is the off road version, and I thought it rode pretty rough for the street. I was drawn to the looks of the rebel. I really wont ever do any off road driving. Once I test drove one, that cured me on that. Just my 2cents on the topic.

7. ncgrl1

ncgrl1 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2019 RAM Rebel
    Engine:
    5.7 HEMI
    The ride would probably be a lot closer if the Rebel didn't have E rated tires. The pressures Ram recommends are 55 front and 45 rear. The tires are heavy and stiff. The 4th gen Rebels had D rated tires. I don't understand why they changed on a 1/2 ton truck.

8. runamuck

runamuck Senior Member Military

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    I got the ORP on my laramie and the truck rides great. my friends mostly drive other brands but they all comment about how nice mine is on the inside and how good it rides. I dont off-road but wanted the little bit more lift and stiffer shocks because I tow a travel trailer occasionally. I think the skid plates might help me at a campsite someday or on a mountain road going thru snow or fallen debris, so got those. I also got the 20" all terrain falken wildpeaks. they are quiet on the road and have gripped well in snow and heavy rain. those E rated tires on the Rebel probably make a lot of difference in the ride.

9. gzig5

gzig5 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi
    Thanks for the additional insight! I think I'll steer clear of the Rebel. One thing I won't do without is the 33gal tank and that knocks a lot of contenders out from the available stock. A lot of Rebels get the 33 gal tank, so that's why I was looking at them. Found a Laramie with everything I want, but it has the sunroof, which I could live without. There are a couple Big Horns and other Laramie that are close but not quite there. I'd rather not have to wait by ordering a 2021. My current truck needs tires and if I wait that's going to cost me $1000 I won't get back on the trade in. Decisions, decisions...

10. Neil E

Neil E Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    According to Ram's website. The towing and payload is the same as any other Ram truck with the 5.7 / 3.92. I know the 4th Gen was, I'm looking at a 5th Gen, and this is the first thing I looked at, as I'm planning on towing, myself. Not sure about the OP.

Actually the payload is 1690 vs 1770 on some of the other crew cabs, but it's 1690 on the Laramie and Rebel.