Ride Quality, Rebel vs Laramie

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Yep, test drove the 2020 PW......had to push the wife up in it " didn't mind " and felt like a man's truck but she said it's to high for her.
A set of power running boards might resolve the "too high" part for her

Tracy in IL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
Sunroofs fall into two categories: those that have leaked, and those that will someday. When they leak , they play havoc with all kinds of electronics and wiring in/behind the dash. I've had two diff vehicles with sun/moon roofs. Never again.

Neil E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They do, it's called a PowerWagon. The Rebel does have some unique styling but so does the PowerWagon along with the off-road functionality.

Of course, the issue with the power wagon is it doesn't tow as much as a regular 2500, unless I read it wrong. My guess is the suspension is "softer".

Actually, I just confirmed, not only is it lower. It's even lower than the Rebel, at only 9400 pounds :eek:

Marley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Of course, the issue with the power wagon is it doesn't tow as much as a regular 2500, unless I read it wrong. My guess is the suspension is "softer".

Actually, I just confirmed, not only is it lower. It's even lower than the Rebel, at only 9400 pounds :eek:

Yeah that's unfortunate for us guy's that tow heavy and love the rugged looks of the PW .
All the offroad goodies put it back into 1500 territory.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The Power Wagon is built on the 2500 platform, but is purpose built as an off-road truck. It was never intended as a "normal" HD truck for towing and hauling. Sounds like you would prefer an appearance package that makes a normal 2500 look like a PW. I'm sure there are others here with the same preference. That's actually the reason I bought the Rebel I used to own. I preferred the Rebel looks to the other 1500's. At the risk of angering the purists...I'm not a fan of the cross hair grilles. Those belong on actual Dodge vehicles. And I'm glad they went away form them for the new 1500's

DieselMike29

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I have a 2015 1500 Laramie CC. In all truth (and believe you me, I did a LOT of research into the subject when I went to buy my new truck), the only real difference between the Laramie and the Rebel (other than the price, that is) is the frufru interior of the Rebel and that the suspension of the Rebel has been tweaked to sit and ride an inch higher than the Laramie. (Oh, did I forget to mention you couldn't get a Rebel with an EcoDiesel when I was looking?)

The only thing I did to my truck was to replace the 20" stock wheels and tires with the Rebel 17" tires. The results were amazing - A) the ride got smoother because of the tires having more sidewall (And before you ask, YES, I do have air suspension) and B) I get 22 mph instantaneous (in other words on the dash readout) at 80 MPH due to the lighter wheels and tires! Did i mention the 3.92 rear?

I feel that in all honesty I should mention that with the 17" wheels and the matching Toyo tires I am doing an actual 79.5 (plus or minus a couple of hundredth mph) MPH when my speedometer (and EVIC) register 80 MPH.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
If you plan on towing anything, the Laramie is your choice. The payload on the rebel is abysmal.

Payload is different than towing capacity for vehicle. So long as the rear can support the tongue weight there will be no problems. These trucks have a towing capacity of 7,000 lbs so the probable tongue load is going to be less than 1,000 lbs which they all can handle.

What affects payload the most is the choice of engine with the V-6 providing the most payload and the V-8 eTorque engine providing the least. The opposite is true with the towing capacity and in this area the gears are also very important with the 3.55 gears providing 1000 lbs more tow capacity than the same truck with 3.21 gears.

ncgrl1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 RAM LongHorn 4x4
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I have a 2015 1500 Laramie CC. In all truth (and believe you me, I did a LOT of research into the subject when I went to buy my new truck), the only real difference between the Laramie and the Rebel (other than the price, that is) is the frufru interior of the Rebel and that the suspension of the Rebel has been tweaked to sit and ride an inch higher than the Laramie. (Oh, did I forget to mention you couldn't get a Rebel with an EcoDiesel when I was looking?)

The only thing I did to my truck was to replace the 20" stock wheels and tires with the Rebel 17" tires. The results were amazing - A) the ride got smoother because of the tires having more sidewall (And before you ask, YES, I do have air suspension) and B) I get 22 mph instantaneous (in other words on the dash readout) at 80 MPH due to the lighter wheels and tires! Did i mention the 3.92 rear?

I feel that in all honesty I should mention that with the 17" wheels and the matching Toyo tires I am doing an actual 79.5 (plus or minus a couple of hundredth mph) MPH when my speedometer (and EVIC) register 80 MPH.

You also have 4th gen Rebel wheels & tires which are D rated so the ride would be better than the 5th gen with 18" wheels and E rated tires.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
You also have 4th gen Rebel wheels & tires which are D rated so the ride would be better than the 5th gen with 18" wheels and E rated tires.
Gen4 Rebels (in my case 2017) have E rated 17" Toyo tires from the factory.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
This was true for the 4th gens, but for the 5th gens the Rebel actually does have different components which are better suited for off-road use. But most of those can be had on all other trim levels with the addition of the off-road group.

^^This. All Rebels based on the 4th gen came equipped with E rated Toyo A/T tires. I still have the original tires sitting in my garage from when I replaced them with KO2's on the 2017 Rebel I used to own. They have less than 10k miles if anyone is interested. :cool:

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7

That’s what I was thinking, was that all the rebels came with 10 ply tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do believe you can option a Rebel now with heater and ventilated front seats, but only heated rear seats. I don’t really care about having ventilated rear seats myself. [emoji3]

Egh, I still think the ventilated front seats is still a no go on the rebels.

OP
OP
G

gzig5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
This has been a good discussion and please carry on. I did want to provide some closure on my decision. I just brought home my 2020 Delmonico Red Laramie Sport. It has the Off Road package, Laramie Lev1, Bed group, Nav, 33 gal tank, 3.92, E-locker, park sensors, Trailer brake, E-Torque Hemi, and the panoramic sunroof. I'm very pleased with the ride quality. Definitely better than the F150 Lariat in the choppy right lane of the highway. The Off Road package doesn't seem to negatively affect it, at least in the short time I've had it. Looks like it averaged 18mpg for the trip to MKE from Indiana, which is better then I ever did with the 3.5 Eco-boost in the F150.
Now I need to look into candidates for running boards, bed cover, and mud flaps. I know Mopar has some selections for these and the aftermarket is full stuff.

IMG_4078[1].JPG

IMG_4079[1].JPG

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Cudos for wanting to add mud flaps. Running boards (non retracting of course) keep a lot of road crud off the sides of a truck. Add spash guards (often available color matched to the color of the truck) and the truck is well protected.