Rocker tap due to oil filter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
That is for a 2010 hemi 5.7- puro, yours would be different. Also about two years ago they changed their filters, not sure if they changed the cage that holds the media. Look down the center and see if it is different then the pic I provided previously.

40106391684_74480709c9_z.jpg

Fergusontd

FTD
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Burla, thank you for your response. I didn't know what year your Ram was. Mine is a '17, it currently has 635 miles on it. I've always used purolator and Mopar filters for my cars and have trusted them for years. I've read this forum and it gets confusing when I read all these posts, I'm just trying to get what's best for my truck. ftd

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
read the oil filter thread in my sig, gl bud

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Purolator used to make the filters for Mopar, when I say that, that’s also when the Magnum motors were still around. No sure if that is the case anymore.

Civicmanjack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Wow! 2013 mine defiantly has the tick, 2 oil changes ago used the k&n and it made the tick and now I'm using the fram one and still making the tick. I had no idea the oil filter was the culprit! I will try the royal purple filter next oil change.

Any recommendation on an oil filter relocation kit?

Great tread!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Wow! 2013 mine defiantly has the tick, 2 oil changes ago used the k&n and it made the tick and now I'm using the fram one and still making the tick. I had no idea the oil filter was the culprit! I will try the royal purple filter next oil change.

Any recommendation on an oil filter relocation kit?

Great tread!

Sadly, it would be rare that the oil filter is causing your tick, especially if it has ticked on a couple different filters. Possible yes, but unlikely. The 2 most preventative causes of hemi tick is exhaust bolts or lifters. If you are lucky, it is exhaust bolts. Even when the filter does cause the tick, it can be a sign your lifters are out of tolerance. Search hemi Tick in titles only, there are probably 100 threads on it. Rule out exhaust bolts first, then consider getting help from the dealer, replacing the lifters, or try different lubrication strategies, and yes RP filters are as good as it gets as well.

demort71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have had 3 vehicles trucks/car with the 5.7L Hemi, made between 04-08. I always used K&N oil filters and run synthetic oil. I never had tappet noise issues with them. You could try K&N filters too. I recommend spending a few extra bucks on the oil filter. Look at what you spend on synthetic oils, so what's $12-$15 for the filter?

Civicmanjack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My tic was the exhaust manifold stud. Fairly easy fix on the drivers side but a super pain in the butt on the drivers side, if you have a 4x4.