Rockford DSR-1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jamesc7181

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How many of you have done a full system with the 12” head unit using a DSR-1? This is the route I am thinking about going to replace the alpine stuff. Also thinking about using multiple amps to go active on the dash coax. I have installed a set of infinity reference in there and seems easy to disconnect the tweeter to do this.

thoughts? Comments? First hand experience?

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
I went with the pac audio unit and the toslink so I could run a fiber optic for sound input to the jl audio vx 800/8i. Gets me 75 watts rms to all channels but the center dash. Then I used the rca line out on the jl amp for the crossfire 1600.1 that powers 2 crossfire 12” dvc 4 ohm speakers in a fox caustics box. They are wired to 1 ohm.

I didn’t use an aftermarket head unit because I like the 8.4 Uconnect and the 2 mics in the ram headliner. Going with an aftermarket head unit would prevent me from keeping the 2 mics.

I plan on using another module to add a 5 camera total setup into the factory display for blind spot and front cam since I already have rear cam and cargo cam.

Message me for details or pics

Here are links for the items I used

https://catalog.pac-audio.com/catalog/amppro-amplifier-interfaces/ap4-ch41-r2

https://www.jlaudio.com/products/vx800-8i-car-audio-vxi-amplifiers-98633

http://www.crossfirecaraudio.com/product/c5-amplifiers/

http://www.crossfirecaraudio.com/product/c5-subwoofers/

Blind spot integration

https://navtv.com/products/NTV-KIT764/chry-multi-cam.html

https://navtv.com/products/NTV-KIT594/blind-spot-camera-kit.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

Jamesc7181

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey that’s pretty sweet. I am also not going to use an aftermarket head unit. How and where are you mounting the 5 cameras?

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have a dsr1. It hasn't given me any troubles. Took a lot of head scratching and fiddling to get it sounding right, but I'm happy with it now. I'm running a JL xd800/8 2 channels to tweeters in dash, 4 channels bridged to 2 for the front doors and 2 channels to the rear doors. Then an xd600/1 to a JL Audio dual 10" stealthbox. Keep in mind the dsp is only 8 channels so if you want to run more than that you're better off going with a dedicated dsp with more channels and the pac unit to sum signal to it, but for the money it's a good unit. Don't ask me how to set it up. It was 3 years ago and the how didn't sink in. With the maestro cable you get everything you need from the factory amp under the dash next to the steering column, which will be disabled. It uses the digital signal from the head unit vs line level from speaker outputs to my understanding. One of the more important things is if the tweeters are on their own channels set the crossover frequency before you turn on the amp or you'll easily fry them if you run them prior to adjustment. Don't have to get them tuned. Just set the frequency high enough to stay in the tweeter range. I bought mine locally so the guys at the shop were helpfull with the tech support. Without that I'd have been screwed.

michael harpe

U.S. Army 2001-2014
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 hemi
Hey that’s pretty sweet. I am also not going to use an aftermarket head unit. How and where are you mounting the 5 cameras?

I already have 2 stock which are the tailgate and cargo cam. The other 3 are going to be blind spot with turn signal activation on the side mirrors and a front cam for parking/Offroad since I have a total of 6.5” of lift on the truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

Jamesc7181

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a dsr1. It hasn't given me any troubles. Took a lot of head scratching and fiddling to get it sounding right, but I'm happy with it now. I'm running a JL xd800/8 2 channels to tweeters in dash, 4 channels bridged to 2 for the front doors and 2 channels to the rear doors. Then an xd600/1 to a JL Audio dual 10" stealthbox. Keep in mind the dsp is only 8 channels so if you want to run more than that you're better off going with a dedicated dsp with more channels and the pac unit to sum signal to it, but for the money it's a good unit. Don't ask me how to set it up. It was 3 years ago and the how didn't sink in. With the maestro cable you get everything you need from the factory amp under the dash next to the steering column, which will be disabled. It uses the digital signal from the head unit vs line level from speaker outputs to my understanding. One of the more important things is if the tweeters are on their own channels set the crossover frequency before you turn on the amp or you'll easily fry them if you run them prior to adjustment. Don't have to get them tuned. Just set the frequency high enough to stay in the tweeter range. I bought mine locally so the guys at the shop were helpfull with the tech support. Without that I'd have been screwed.
I had one in my last truck that was an F150. It worked very well in there. That is why I am wondering about the integration into the Ram with the 12” touchscreen and Alpine sound.

OP
OP
J

Jamesc7181

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I got this all done except the front door speakers. Waiting for them to arrive. Sounds amazing now. DSR1 mounted perfect under the drivers seat in place of the factory amp. Punch EQ works perfect through the speed compensation setting.

C7236F7F-E4DC-4670-ABD7-70DB293DF9D5.jpeg

D3C9B1F3-21E4-4922-96FF-5BDB86E94D5E.jpeg

8054F5CE-92BC-4B61-9D5F-2A678C39B4BD.jpeg

A9D005C6-C282-405B-B43D-5BC2B7440F32.jpeg

71D8F5F2-E7F3-40BC-87F5-B3C5580172CD.jpeg