Rough Country 2" coilovers installed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NOV87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Had Rough Country 2" levelling Coilovers installed yesterday.
https://www.roughcountry.com/dodge-leveling-struts-500028.html?find=2014-dodge-ram-1500-4wd-566676
Measurements front wheel well with 275/60/20, before:
36 7/8" both sides
Right after lowering down:
40" both sides.
After it sat overnight:
39 1/2"
So, at this point it appears that, I got about 2 1/2" of lift in the front. I am certain it will settle some more, which would be good. I will have alignment done tomorrow. Overall, pretty happy with ride quality, ease of the install and price. New strut is about 1 1/2" longer than the OEM. At this point I have not replaced UCA. Not, sure if I will. Still have RC rear shocks being delivered. Didn't have the before pix, only the after ones.View attachment 206064 20200504_200225.jpg 20200504_145312.jpg View attachment 206064

20200504_145259.jpg

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
These are high on my list, would love an update after driving around a bit on them to hear your feedback

OP
OP
N

NOV87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Will post un update after a while.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't know if it's a camera effect but the springs in the RC struts seem to be a little ticker too? That's pretty good they're tad longer too. thanks for posting and best of all, Enjoy them.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't know if it's a camera effect but the springs in the RC struts seem to be a little ticker too? That's pretty good they're tad longer too. thanks for posting and best of all, Enjoy them.

Doesn't being longer reduce the travel?.....similar as adding a top strut lift spacer?

Like mentioned here?

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Doesn't being longer reduce the travel?.....similar as adding a top strut lift spacer?

Like mentioned here?

Not necessarily, we have to know what the minimum compressed length is. For example the usual 5100's for our trucks are 0.34" longer than KYB stock replacements, but they're also 0.43" shorter when compressed.. so they show a possible gain of around 3/4" at the strut which translates to around an inch of potential travel at the wheel. We'd have to know what the compressed length of these are before we can talk about a change in overall travel.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Like mentioned here?

Adding the spacer at the top relocates the physical strut mounting location down so you're making the shock longer on extension, but shorter on compression by the same amount as the spacer on top . If you add a 2" spacer at the top of the strut you'll gain 2" in downtravel, but lose 2" uptravel.

In this case the shock is longer on its own and the shocks mounting points are still at the same height, so you have more downtravel cause the shocks is longer and your uptravel will be limited by the bumpstop when the strut compresses in full which can be same as stock or my guess 1" long.

As explained above by Kurek we don't know what the strut extension/compression values are, but judging by the pic and the reference the OP made by saying they're 1.5" longer, you should have more downtravel with them with the truck sitting at say 2-2.5" of lift so that'll make them extended travel like King, Falcon and others etc. Because they're longer than stock it wouldn't be a good idea to add another spacer at the top cause you'll be over extending something that is already 1.5" longer the stock. plus with extended struts like that you want an aftermarket UCA that can droop to use the extra length in the shaft and won't bind at full extension etc.

Hope it makes sense.

Last edited:

No Tyme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Will post un update after a while.

Would like to know if the front end settled any more. I am looking into a front level for my 19 Big Horn Classic but so far I have read to stay away from anything more than 2"'s of lift.

OP
OP
N

NOV87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
They settled, maybe, another 1/4", if that. So, the front is raised about 2 1/4" from stock. I have driven 1000 miles or so. That's where it's at. I like how it drives and looks. No drastic improvement from stock. But good nonetheless. I would buy again.

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks for the update! Still eyeing these over bils due to the fact it's all new coils and an easier install.

No Tyme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Thanks for the update! Still eyeing these over bils due to the fact it's all new coils and an easier install.

That was my thought also, but went ahead and ordered a pair of the 5100's off Amazon. I like the thought of the adjustments with the Bil's and since I am only at 20K my coils are still pretty new. I am hoping at the 2.1 setting I end up with a slight rake and think that will happen since my truck is the crew with the mid size bed.

GRN69CHV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
RC shock is longer than stock can cause the same issues as installing an upper strut spacer. Probably not an issue for street cruisers but serious off road would benefit from replacement UCA. My '16 has 56K on it and is definitely sitting lower than I'd like. These do look like a good option, I'd assume the amount of actual lift is going to vary, mine is a CC Laramie, scaled at 5960# two weeks ago leaving the dump.

OP
OP
N

NOV87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
...but serious off road would benefit from replacement UCA.
Any truck could benefit from aftermarket UCAs, even not lifted ones. I plan on getting Zone UCA's in the near future.
As far as serious off road goes (rock crawling, steep muddy hills, etc), you'd need a far better setup. Think Wranglers with SAS, designated tires, armor, recovery gear. What I have now, gets me through logging roads, small hills and so on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

NOV87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Just finished upgrading the rear end with Eibach 1" spring coils and 1.5" rear shocks. I like the truck to have a little rake. That achieved it for me. Also, impressed with Eibach quality. I've had Bilsteins on my other vehicle before and I feel Eibach is a way better ride.

20200613_222124.jpg

20200614_140826.jpg

20200614_140833.jpg

Ram7081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
How is ride quality? I'm waiting for mine to ship.
Bilstein is digressive (as you probably know). Which is firm around town and soft on highway. Which isnt what i want. I was told their like my Fox in the rear which is linear. Do you agree, soft ride over pot holes, etc. ?
Thanks.

OP
OP
N

NOV87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
How is ride quality? I'm waiting for mine to ship.
Bilstein is digressive (as you probably know). Which is firm around town and soft on highway. Which isnt what i want. I was told their like my Fox in the rear which is linear. Do you agree, soft ride over pot holes, etc. ?
Thanks.
I like the ride quality over OEM ones. To me it's stiffer and I feel it would be like Fox, from how you described them (I've never had Fox before).
But again, that's just my opinion. On the other hand, my wife rides with me frequently and she thought, the truck absorbs the pot holes better now. For what it's worth.

Ram7081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I like the ride quality over OEM ones. To me it's stiffer and I feel it would be like Fox, from how you described them (I've never had Fox before).
But again, that's just my opinion. On the other hand, my wife rides with me frequently and she thought, the truck absorbs the pot holes better now. For what it's worth.

Thank you Sir!

OP
OP
N

NOV87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Anytime and good luck with your suspension upgrade.