Rough Idle, Misfires, Rough acceleration, any help?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cowboy Brick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got a 2012 5.7 Hemi.
Got my truck back from the shop and it's been misfiring since. They replaced a leak in the manifolds that was causing the tick and the tick is gone now.
They also replaced the o2 wiring harness from the injectors all the way down to the o2 sensors and replaced both upstream and downstream o2 sensors on the passenger side and the upstream o2 sensor on the driver side.
The truck is misfiring constantly when applying fuel with poor acceleration then jolts forward like a turbo kicked in. I got multiple misfire codes, b1s1 runs rich and b1s2 runs lean, I replaced the cat with a brand new one thinking that might be the problem and it still has the same problems as before.
I am at my wit's end here and need help finding out what could be the problem, any advice would be highly appreciated.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Have you ever cleaned the throttle body, i mean actually take it off and clean it?

Changed plugs?

Replace crankcase ventilation valve?

Rune intake cleaners through the TB?

Try running a water removing fuel additive?

A high concentration of PEA fuel system cleaner?

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

OP
OP
Cowboy Brick

Cowboy Brick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you ever cleaned the throttle body, i mean actually take it off and clean it?

Changed plugs?

Replace crankcase ventilation valve?

Rune intake cleaners through the TB?

Try running a water removing fuel additive?

A high concentration of PEA fuel system cleaner?

Haven't done any of this, I'll try doing all of this and get back to you. If none of this works what else should I be looking at?

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Haven't done any of this, I'll try doing all of this and get back to you. If none of this works what else should I be looking at?

First, I would do a fuel system cleaner with PEA and clean the TB and do an intake cleaner as well. Unfortunately doing the two different cleaners it might be wise to do an oil change shortly after.

If thar dont do it id go to plugs.

Hopefully other will give you advice. Thats all i got sir.

Air
Fuel
Spark

Cover the basics.

OP
OP
Cowboy Brick

Cowboy Brick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I started replacing the spark plugs during lunch and that seemed to be the problem with the misfiring, I ran it for 3 minutes and it ran like a brand new engine. Was only able to replace two of the 16 during lunch but will replace the rest tonight. I'll update again once I ran it for a full day and HOPEFULLY that was the problem. Looked like the plugs are the stock ones and have never been replaced, truck has 140k on it.

IMG_20190618_121807_01.jpg

BrewCrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
So I started replacing the spark plugs during lunch and that seemed to be the problem with the misfiring, I ran it for 3 minutes and it ran like a brand new engine. Was only able to replace two of the 16 during lunch but will replace the rest tonight. I'll update again once I ran it for a full day and HOPEFULLY that was the problem. Looked like the plugs are the stock ones and have never been replaced, truck has 140k on it.

View attachment 170453

Hard to see but those Spark Plugs look fowled.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
140K? whoa! It's a Harley Davidson truck! (That comes from a convo when I had my Victory cruiser and ran into some Harley guys and we started talking bikes. i had recently read some forums discussion about using iridium plugs in bikes and asked them how often they changed their spark plugs. They looked blankly at each other and one guy side. Why change them? lol

TXCOMT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
140K? whoa! It's a Harley Davidson truck! (That comes from a convo when I had my Victory cruiser and ran into some Harley guys and we started talking bikes. i had recently read some forums discussion about using iridium plugs in bikes and asked them how often they changed their spark plugs. They looked blankly at each other and one guy side. Why change them? lol

Hey, The Motor Company has to make money somehow!!!

Seriously, though, OP, that's great...covering the basics (fuel, air, spark) often solves a lot of issues.

TXCOMT

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56

View attachment 170453
Yep those copper tips look like they have a large gap......iridium plugs will last longer than the copper.

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Stick with the stock copper as I've heard/read bad things about swapping to Iridium or Platinum. I put in the E3 spark plugs and don't notice a difference at all and spent double the amount I would have if I had just gone with Autolite or NGK coppers. Was this issue happening before it went into the shop? If not, I'd take the truck back to them and let them fix what they POSSIBLY broke. If you filled up after leaving the shop, you could have gotten a tank of bad gas. In which case, I would add a bottle of HEET for $2 and drive it a little harder than normal as the HEET will get any water out of your system. I run a bottle of that every 4 months for preventative measures. Did they clear out the PCM memory after doing all of those repairs? If not (and I doubt this will do much, but might help after replacing the spark plugs) I would disconnect your battery positive overnight which will set all of the fuel trims back to factory and might help your fuel economy and power as well. Just some thoughts off the top of my head

OP
OP
Cowboy Brick

Cowboy Brick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was able to replace most of the spark plugs last night, still got 6 more to replace. Here's a photo of the old spark plugs. I've been replacing them with NGK (LZFR5C-11) plugs. I believe they are copper like the last ones.

The o2 sensors were ****** up and fried and I had the truck running rich for about one-two months, idiot mistake, I know better now. I'm pretty sure that's the reason for the misfires because the engine ran rich and had fouled up the old spark plugs.

IMG_20190618_221929.jpg

OP
OP
Cowboy Brick

Cowboy Brick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Still misfiring and the truck is running lean now.
Here's the codes it's throwing.
P0300 (Multiple Cylinder Misfire)
P0174 (2/1 System Lean)
P2096 (Post catalyst fuel trim sys too lean bank 1)
C2114 (Dynamics Sensor supply voltage low)
U1148 (Additional Can-C ECU detected)

OP
OP
Cowboy Brick

Cowboy Brick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also I decided to check my radiator and found this...
I'm assuming I need to flush it, but I'm guessing this isn't the problem for the misfire.

IMG_20190625_102056.jpg

IMG_20190625_102106.jpg

Zack02

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep those copper tips look like they have a large gap......iridium plugs will last longer than the copper.
They'll last longer, but should swap to the correct wires.

I've been replacing them with NGK (LZFR5C-11) plugs. I believe they are copper like the last ones.
That's good, that's the right plug for your truck. Hey, you were only 110,000 miles past the service internal lol.

Have you unplugged your battery at all? Like to reset it's fuel trim?

Reactions: U&A

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I hate to say it but unfortunately a misfire code is also something that is thrown when you are starting to lose a lob on your cam.

Dont freak out

Not saying that is what’s happening here as the other codes that are thrown are not necessarily suggesting that .........but I’m just throwing it out there.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Still misfiring and the truck is running lean now.
Here's the codes it's throwing.
P0300 (Multiple Cylinder Misfire)
P0174 (2/1 System Lean)
P2096 (Post catalyst fuel trim sys too lean bank 1)
C2114 (Dynamics Sensor supply voltage low)
U1148 (Additional Can-C ECU detected)
The lean codes make me think you either have a vacuum leak/intake manifold gasket leak or a bad MAP sensor. Do you have a scantool that can look at live data? If so look at the MAP data and see what the intake is pulling for vacuum...

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
The lean codes make me think you either have a vacuum leak/intake manifold gasket leak or a bad MAP sensor. Do you have a scantool that can look at live data? If so look at the MAP data and see what the intake is pulling for vacuum...

Id listen to this guy[emoji3595]

OP
OP
Cowboy Brick

Cowboy Brick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll take it to AutoZone and see if there's a vacuum leak then. I'll also check the Map sensor. I got a superchips tuner, will that be able to see the map sensor live data? I'll find out here in about 30 minutes.