Running Board Decision

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HAL9001

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm working on a build for a 2021 1500 Laramie order and have selected most of the options I want.

I would like to order the powered running boards, but I've heard that they can be problematic and unreliable in colder climates, especially with snow. Even the dealer advised against them.

I'd prefer not to get non-powered running boards because I like the looks of the truck better without them.

So, the question I have is do I even need running boards? Is it really that difficult to get in and out of a RAM 1500 without them day to day? I'm in my 60's but I'm still in great shape and very active. I have no physical conditions that would cause me issues. However, a lot of people tell me that running boards are a good idea with these trucks. Unfortunately, I won't find out for myself until after I own one, and then I would need to buy aftermarket powered running boards which are considerably more expensive than the OEMs and rather difficult to install, or have the dealer install the OEMs afterward which would cost considerably more than if I ordered them with the truck.

I would greatly appreciate any insight into this.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
They help prevent sliding out/off of the seats , witch will keep the Cushion in good condition .and your ass level in your seat for years to come

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I am 6'2" and in reasonably good physical shape. While I don't need running boards I find that it makes getting in/out much easier and less wear/tear on the seats.

One other factor to consider - are you the only person to ride in the truck? Before I got my running boards on I had to carry a stool for my wife.

As to reliability I've never heard of any issues. I had to get aftermarket ones (AMP Research) because the factory ones that I ordered and had the dealer install could not be made to function - they said they were incompatible with the '20, even though you could order a '20 with them fitted (only with the E-Torque option though, which I did not want).

I drove all last winter with them and never had any problems with snow/ice, and as you can see I live in Vermont so we do get a fair amount.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
Only you can decide. I could get by without running boards but I’ll always have them.

1) they save your seat. By using them your not sliding the full weight of your butt over the outer edges of your seat as you enter and exit.

2) ever have a passenger under 6 feet ride with you?

3) helps protect the side of your truck from getting sandblasted by the road grit the front tires kick up. (Guess this doesn’t apply to the retractable running boards though)

Your truck, your money. If you really don’t care for the appearance of stationary ones and are afraid of the retractable type b/c of weather, you should order without them. You can add them on later if you decide you need them.

Amerinamese

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi eTorque
Unfortunately, I won't find out for myself until after I own one, and then I would need to buy aftermarket powered running boards which are considerably more expensive than the OEMs and rather difficult to install, or have the dealer install the OEMs afterward which would cost considerably more than if I ordered them with the truck.

I would greatly appreciate any insight into this.

You could always go to the dealer and test out the trucks they have in stock. That could help with your decision.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
HAL9001

HAL9001

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you for all the great input. Based on this, I've decided to get the running boards.

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
They also help when you are a dipstick and forget there are the short pylons at gas pumps. $335 for a single side (discounted). Did save the truck from any more damage
123968878_439604090770428_7030418082828078275_n.jpg