Running board question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NKYRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Hello, i just bought a 2019 classic 5.7 big horn crew cab and would like to add running boards. Looking underneath the truck i have holes in the rocker panel(no studs) some with threads and some without. I do not have any pre drilled holes any where on the pinch welds. All videos online seemed to have these holes already. Is this normal not to have these from the factory? Am i just to drill holes in the pinch welds once i get the brackets bolted to the rocker panel? Most online videos i am watching do not show how to do this. Any help?

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Hello, i just bought a 2019 classic 5.7 big horn crew cab and would like to add running boards. Looking underneath the truck i have holes in the rocker panel(no studs) some with threads and some without. I do not have any pre drilled holes any where on the pinch welds. All videos online seemed to have these holes already. Is this normal not to have these from the factory? Am i just to drill holes in the pinch welds once i get the brackets bolted to the rocker panel? Most online videos i am watching do not show how to do this. Any help?
There are no holes on teh linch welds and the boards do not actually mount at those welds. The holes you see, above ethe pinch welds are where the steps mointing plate attaches to yoru truck. then the arm attaches tot eh mounting plate and drops down for teh sttpes to attach to the arm.

go to mopar parts site, entere your truck information and search for runningboards or side steps, the grab the installation directions off the page, to see how its done.

if you already have threaded female ends on your inside rocker panel, good chance somoene had boards on it, rior and they wree taken off before you bought it.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As "gofishn" said. If there was never any on the truck, you will probably need the "nutserts", and the tool to install them. They are also available on line. Not hard to install them at all. Or, you can go the Amp Research route..

OP
OP
N

NKYRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
There are no holes on teh linch welds and the boards do not actually mount at those welds. The holes you see, above ethe pinch welds are where the steps mointing plate attaches to yoru truck. then the arm attaches tot eh mounting plate and drops down for teh sttpes to attach to the arm.

go to mopar parts site, entere your truck information and search for runningboards or side steps, the grab the installation directions off the page, to see how its done.

if you already have threaded female ends on your inside rocker panel, good chance somoene had boards on it, rior and they wree taken off before you bought it.
Ok, thanks. The two or three videos i watched all showed a support brace that bolted to holes on the pinch weld, then attached to the main brace. Good to know i dont need to drill holes.

Not looking for anything fancy, do you have any recommended brands?

OP
OP
N

NKYRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
As "gofishn" said. If there was never any on the truck, you will probably need the "nutserts", and the tool to install them. They are also available on line. Not hard to install them at all. Or, you can go the Amp Research route..
Just looked at the amp site, looks nice but is probably out of my range. I input my model and looked at install instructions, these referred to two bolts to be installed in the pinch weld holes.

Attachments

• 4D4C778D-C0F4-4DE4-B7E3-A162EDC703C9.jpeg
    4D4C778D-C0F4-4DE4-B7E3-A162EDC703C9.jpeg
    104.4 KB · Views: 22

GRKN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Depends on what steps you get I believe, some bolt to the pinch weld also and some just to the back of the rocker. I know my dads ‘16 had the holes in the pinch weld but since yours doesn’t, I’d just find a set that doesn’t use those holes.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
At one time almost all running boards attached to the frame. No rusted out rockers, solid as hell and sturdy. I cannot for the life of me figure out why makers have decided mounting to the rocker panels is a good idea. If someone went back to making frame mounts, I would buy a set in a heart beat.

OP
OP
N

NKYRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
Depends on what steps you get I believe, some bolt to the pinch weld also and some just to the back of the rocker. I know my dads ‘16 had the holes in the pinch weld but since yours doesn’t, I’d just find a set that doesn’t use those holes.
I’m having trouble finding a brand that dont call for bolting to the pinch weld. Any brands you know of?

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got a set of go rhino d4's. They mount to the cab mounts and rockers. The oem steps that came with my truck mounted on the pinch weld and rockers. I wouldn't recommend the d4 steps for a truck that's not lifted though as they hang lower then stock and have 2 steps. They're great for kids and short people though. I didn't look but maybe some other steps go rhino has mount the same and would be worth looking into.

GRKN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m having trouble finding a brand that dont call for bolting to the pinch weld. Any brands you know of?
Can't say I know a particular brand or line no. You could look through summit racing's site, they've got a lot of options

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
OEM 82213266AB

what I put on my 2014 but nto sure it will work for yo.

just got to mopar parts or mopar parts wharehouse and see what OEM boards areo ut there. I woudl try to get the 3 mounting bracket versons.mne only had two. Didnt know there even was a 3rd bracket type of board until is aw one, afterwrds.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
when i bought both my 2009 & 2016 Rams, they came with threaded holes for the Nerf Bars

Front Mount
img0548eq.jpg

I seem to have lost the other two images of the center & rear mounts

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
My stock running boards use brackets on the ends. There are hex holes that a middle bracket can be installed.
Here is the kit number for the rivnuts and bolts 68044460AA (4th gen), I have this kit

1674277688153.png
Or you can get 68199101AC for a single bracket with the rivnuts & bolts
1674278087248.png

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
its odd you have a Classic which is identical to my ‘17 which came with both holes drilled in the pinch welds and threaded for side steps. I went cheap and have been pleasantly surprised with Tyger Automotive’s steps. Installed over 4yrs ago and zero rust or fading. I have the black ones that are boxed tubes.
I actually despise them and never use them, but I am tall. The wife and kids use them.

OP
OP
N

NKYRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
My stock running boards use brackets on the ends. There are hex holes that a middle bracket can be installed.
Here is the kit number for the rivnuts and bolts 68044460AA (4th gen), I have this kit

View attachment 511934
Or you can get 68199101AC for a single bracket with the rivnuts & bolts
View attachment 511935
Thanks! Does this also bolt onto the pinch weld as well?

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
nope, this is the stock method for frame mounting

RamRigger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Not sure about the holes on your rig, but I had my AMP electric running boards installed about a year ago, and have had no problems. A friend had his installed several years ago with no problems so far. The added benefit that I liked was if I run across anything on a roadway or across a legal-to-cross streambed the rock or log won't damage my running boards as easily as ones that are installed as a fixed height running board, assuming the clearance is the same