Running hot while towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
1st camping trip went about 50 miles each way central/west coast Florida all flat roads except for the overpasses.
Truck is a 2017 1500 Bighorn hemi, 2 wd, 8 speed auto with 3.21 axle.
Trailer is a 29 ft overall, 600 LB tongue weight, 5800 lb unloaded trailer weight. Yes we added some things but not crazy as it was only 2 nights. Nothing much in the truck itself other than the two of us.
Max payload is 1404 and max towing is 8300 and I know I'm not near the top of either.
Equilizer WD hitch.

Coolant temp was hot. It hit 220 F a couple of times, seemed like it climbed there initially then calmed down a bit. Ranged from 198 to 220, spent most of the time in the low 200s to maybe 210.
Trans temp stayed under 200, oil temp maybe 210 +.
I was in tow/haul mode, never got above 62 mph but most of the trip was in the 45 to 55 mph range.

Thoughts?

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Everything looks normal to me

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
This seems pretty good

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40

OP
OP
JayLeonard

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
Ii guess I just have to wrap my head around the 220 F. Being old school, anything much over 200 freaks me out.
Thanks!

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Yeah, these newer vehicles are optimized to run at hotter temperatures. It ensures a cleaner burn of the fuel, meaning less emissions. That's the theory, anyway, that often doesn't actually play out in the real world.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Seems like normal towing temps. You could swap in an 180° thermostat if you’re uncomfortable with it.

That hitch weight is a damn lie of it’s from factory specs. 600 lb hitch on a 5800 lb travel trailer would probably walk you right off the road. It’s probably closer to 800.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your temps sound fine. I never see much over 220 on coolant temps but if you're towing at higher speeds or in mountains oil temps will be even higher. 240-250 was not uncommon during my trip to Colorado with a slightly smaller trailer. On the longer grades it could go higher if I tried to go posted speeds. Slowing down brought it back to 250 or so. And realistically the motor did great. There was only one time I had to be careful and slow down much due to oil temps. Most uphills are curvy enough that you don't go fast enough to come close to overheating.

OP
OP
JayLeonard

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
That hitch weight is a damn lie of it’s from factory specs. 600 lb hitch on a 5800 lb travel trailer would probably walk you right off the road. It’s probably closer to 800.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A member of the manufacturer's forum I'm in weighed his as from the factory and it was really close to the advertised spec. So I don't think it's too far out of whack. I'll be going to the scales soon then I'll know for sure.

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A member of the manufacturer's forum I'm in weighed his as from the factory and it was really close to the advertised spec. So I don't think it's too far out of whack. I'll be going to the scales soon then I'll know for sure.
Once you load it up the hitch weight will increase a lot.. and that is good for the most part. You want it 12-13% or so for stability. The only time mine had any sway to speak of was the day I drive it home empty. Tongue weight from the factory in mine is something like 460 but loaded it's around 750 or 800.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
At nearly 30' overall you are maxed out with that rig, period, know that first off.

Your loaded, ready to camp weight is probably 7,000 plus.

With that said, your temps mentioned are normal., as mentioned by others.

In the summer on hot days, I've been north of 220 coolant temp a few times. As also said, there modern engines are designed to run hot for emissions purposes, so it's even more important than ever to use high quality synthetic lubricants and do more frequent services if you tow heavy (as you are) often.

Please do not do as suggested prior and change out the thermostat. If you do and don't tune for it, the engine will think it's always too cold, run in open loop and run too rich (poorly/bad fuel economy)

Back in the old school carburetor days you could do things like that, but those days are gone unless you alter the ECMs programming (tune) to account for it.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also possible, if it was over 95 deg. out with high humidity, your grille was limiting your cooling capacity - but still well within normal parameters.
The Big Horn grille with the slats has limited air flow under those conditions. Replacing the slats in the grille with the honeycomb style will allow you to stay a few degrees lower in any temperature.
Drawback to the honeycomb is the amount of bugs/birds/small mammals that will be allowed to pass through.

I have had this happen towing my boat when in Florida under those conditions, once the temp dropped to 95 deg. or less, the temps dropped to normal where they are with the honeycomb grille.
I was clipping along at 70+ mph.
Above 95 degrees and the truck ran about 5-7 degrees warmer than normal.

I have run honeycomb, then slats, back to honeycomb and now 2018 sport wishbone grilles - I didn't get a chance to test the wishbone one yet as it was just installed this year.

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
those temps sound normal, last month took a drive to a favorite fishing lake, was about 90deg and without towing anything would hit 220 at times.
with the reading I have done the past couple weeks, don't think I would want to tow an rv trailer of more than 6k max weight even though my truck does have the tow package with 3.92 rear end just to to it would be about maxed out on gvw.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JayLeonard

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
At nearly 30' overall you are maxed out with that rig, period, know that first off.

Your loaded, ready to camp weight is probably 7,000 plus.

Yes I know I am about at max. It towed well, plenty of pulling power and brake power, wasn't a white knuckle feel other than getting used to towing something this large.

I thank everyone for the replies. I will look into the grilll "issue" for sure.