Rusting Front fenders on 2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swerve64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I am sure this has been beat to death but I am wondering who all had/has front fender rusting/bubbles in their paint?
I have had my truck rust proofed since new either by Rust Check or Krown but from some of the reading I have done, it doesn't seem to matter with this issue.
I just got back from the dealer I purchased it at and they said they will not cover it as my 5 yr warranty ran out in June.
The guy gave me a 1-800 number, which I have called yet as I'd like some information first. He said plead my case but good luck.

There is currently a backlog on these front fenders and the service guy/boss, confirmed that. He also said he wouldn't be able to touch it until the end of January as they are so backed up with these issues.
Imo, Ram/FCA clearly knows about the issue but I want to know how to go about it in order for them to come good for it, if possible?

My 13 only has 72,000 kms on it (44,000 miles)
Any and all information would be greatly appreciate.

Thanks.........Swerve.

WP_20170408_13_05_33_Pro.jpg

WP_20170408_13_05_40_Pro.jpg

WP_20170408_13_05_47_Pro.jpg

justintaylor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
My truck had the same issue. all chrysler products are covered on paint for 10 years or 100,000 miles. make a trip to your dealer, get them to take some pictures and they will get the warranty processed up

Craw

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Just remember for body repair, I have seen many stealerships say it has to be rusted through....

OP
OP
Swerve64

Swerve64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
My truck had the same issue. all chrysler products are covered on paint for 10 years or 100,000 miles. make a trip to your dealer, get them to take some pictures and they will get the warranty processed up

Is that written anywhere, Justin? My dealer, who changed hands from Durham Dodge Chrysler to Fraser said because my warranty ran out in June, I wouldn't be covered.
I never did try the 1-800 number yet as I want some ammo/info first.

I appreciate your reply.

OP
OP
Swerve64

Swerve64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I found this on a FCA site. What does the 5yr 100,000 mile warranty mean exactly compared to the 3 yr warranty?

WHAT'S COVERED UNDER CHRYSLER GROUP LLC'S WARRANTIES
2.2 Corrosion Warranty
A. Who Is Covered?
You are covered if you are a purchaser for use of the
vehicle.
B. What's Covered
This warranty covers the cost of all parts and labor
needed to repair or replace any sheet metal panels that
get holes from rust or other corrosion. If a hole occurs
because of something other than corrosion, this warranty
does not apply. Cosmetic or surface corrosion — result-
ing, for example, from stone chips or scratches in the
paint — is not covered. For more details on what isn't
covered by this warranty, see 3.5.
C. How Long It Lasts
The Corrosion Warranty starts when your Basic Limited
Warranty begins under 2.1(E).
This warranty has two time-and-mileage limits:
• For sheet metal panels, the limit is 36 months, with no
mileage limit.
• For an outer-body sheet metal panel — one that is
finish-painted and that someone can see when walk-
ing around the vehicle — the limits are 5 years or
100,000 miles on the odometer, whichever occurs
first.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Imho, your best bet is to go to a local body shop and have it repaired.

Reactions: U&A

justintaylor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
thats rather odd, when i did mine, i got my 2014 ram covered with 114,000km on it in september. they replaced the whole fender and all. if it was a part of the 3 year coverage you mentioned i would be suprised. i should have it somewhere that it states 5 year 160,000km for us canadian guys

OP
OP
Swerve64

Swerve64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
thats rather odd, when i did mine, i got my 2014 ram covered with 114,000km on it in september. they replaced the whole fender and all. if it was a part of the 3 year coverage you mentioned i would be suprised. i should have it somewhere that it states 5 year 160,000km for us canadian guys

It is 5yrs or 160,000 kms like I posted above. I am going to try another dealer today where I know the owner just a bit. I didn't purchase the truck from him as I got to know him after the fact but hopefully he can pull some strings for me? If not, I will be sure to ask how to go about pursuing this issue further but I may be SOL as my warranty is up. It will have to be done as a Goodwill type of favor.

You said in your first post rustproofed since new

Another option

https://krown.com/en/warranty/

Unfortunately, I used Rust Check for the first few years then just this year I used Krown. I also skipped a year 2 yrs ago as my truck still looked great underneath and everywhere else as we had a unseasonably warm/low snow/salt winter the prior one.
Thanks just the same. :favorites13:

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
You guys are getting your warranties confused and what they cover. There is like four different warranties on a give vehicle with bumper to bumper, powertrain, corrosion and emissions.

Only the initial bumper to bumper is going to cover cosmetic defects like shown here. The corrosion warranty will not cover anything until there is actual hole through perforation rust.

justintaylor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
It is 5yrs or 160,000 kms like I posted above. I am going to try another dealer today where I know the owner just a bit. I didn't purchase the truck from him as I got to know him after the fact but hopefully he can pull some strings for me? If not, I will be sure to ask how to go about pursuing this issue further but I may be SOL as my warranty is up. It will have to be done as a Goodwill type of favor.

Unfortunately, I used Rust Check for the first few years then just this year I used Krown. I also skipped a year 2 yrs ago as my truck still looked great underneath and everywhere else as we had a unseasonably warm/low snow/salt winter the prior one.
Thanks just the same. :favorites13:
You can give a call to hwy 11 chrysler, talk to dale paradis. he is the service manager. very helpful guy and can point you in the right direction.

whatever you do do not go to 400 chrysler or barrie chrysler. worst experience ever

justintaylor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
You guys are getting your warranties confused and what they cover. There is like four different warranties on a give vehicle with bumper to bumper, powertrain, corrosion and emissions.

Only the initial bumper to bumper is going to cover cosmetic defects like shown here. The corrosion warranty will not cover anything until there is actual hole through perforation rust.
corrosion warranty will also cover the paint bubbles. chrysler considers that a form of corrosion.

Bee1971

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Sport 4x4
Engine
345 Hemi
Paint bubbles are not a hole , and it’s been discussed a million times before

However a GOOD DEALER can trump most

Warranty - As mentioned earlier

Clearly states HOLES

B. What's Covered
get holes from rust or other corrosion.

CVX20

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can give a call to hwy 11 chrysler, talk to dale paradis. he is the service manager. very helpful guy and can point you in the right direction.

whatever you do do not go to 400 chrysler or barrie chrysler. worst experience ever
I went to Barrie Chrysler when I was looking to buy.Not one salesman got off their ass and came out to talk to me.Was there for about half an hour.Finally left even though they had a truck that I was interested in.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Paint bubbles are not a hole , and it’s been discussed a million times before

However a GOOD DEALER can trump most

Warranty - As mentioned earlier

Clearly states HOLES

B. What's Covered
get holes from rust or other corrosion.

Maybe it is different in Canada.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
No, no matter what it has to be perforation (a hole) and nothing else and the only acceptable repair is full panel replacement. Start building a case with a thread of people who have had the problem on any perforated panels, document who and how they were successful with replacements and who did not. It doesn't mater what dealer was helpful or not as that's not the issue. Mopar prior to to FCA has a track record of replacing Aspen /Volare fenders, first Gen Ram doors and sub frames and many more once they are pushed. They never volunteer until pushed. Search the other forums and the net for complaints and remember it's just going to get worse and end up looking the the Gen 2 box sides.

aux576

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Get on them and keep on them, I had the same issue with an 11 and several dealers ****** me around until it was "out of warranty", I've since traded the truck in with 26000 miles (yes, 26K) on an 18, the dealer I traded it in to immediately got it in his body shop and replaced the fender so he could move the truck quick. In hindsight I think I liked my 11 better than the 18.

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Get on them and keep on them, I had the same issue with an 11 and several dealers ****** me around until it was "out of warranty", I've since traded the truck in with 26000 miles (yes, 26K) on an 18, the dealer I traded it in to immediately got it in his body shop and replaced the fender so he could move the truck quick. In hindsight I think I liked my 11 better than the 18.

And you have to wonder if that dealer pushed it through as an "out of warranty" exception claim or even used the vin from another vehicle for replacements???????????

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Justin-a 10yr paint warranty? That's a new one for me . Please post the dealership that gives you that-I was told that you have to put your finger right through the panel to qualify for the warranty and if I recall -it was no where near 10yrs. Paint bubbles suck-and that's how it all starts-I wish they would warrant those -kill the rust before it speads like you know what!

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
JUSTIN- my bighorn is 2012 and also has the same mileage-70,000kms -you have a right to be pissed -a truck that new should not have any rust other than the usual undercarriage and driveshaft. I also Krown mine yearly and luckly I don't see any paint bubbles, that's not to say I may find some in the spring-in which case I also would be very pissed off and I would expect at the very least some acknowledgement from RAM. I don't know how you should proceed with this ,but after seeing the pictures of the paint'BLISTERING' I really hope that RAM will do right by you!!--Keep us posted.