S O S

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Anyone near Niagara country ny (Wilson ny) know/have done a serpentine belt a 2016 ram 3500 6.7 Cummins, old belt came off in seconds, and I’ve spent over 6 hours killing myself and a friend on a two post lift trying to get this new belt back on, and not even close, going home and going to bed. And coming back tomorrow. Anyone who knows, please ******* help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry,, in TX,., but check this URL:

https://www.justanswer.com/dodge/7jus8-3500-easiest-change-serpentine-belt.html

ADDED: Sorry, all I found. My thought would be to loosen/and-or remove shroud cover, PULL idler off the truck and route that way and put idler back on. U might have to hook up a few bungees in key places to put tension on belt to keep from popping off till U get it all routed and idler/tensioner on and pull tight. But since I do not have the issue, may be talking out my backside. Only other thing I could think to say. GOOD LUCK with yer issue.

CAVEAT: Take to dealer and pay labor????? Worst case scenario

Last edited:
OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Same diagram we had been using, but no ******* bueno after 6 hrs of cursing this engineering marvel, I’m eating and going to bed. I’m ready to push this pig to the woods and burn it

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have no advise to offer but curious as to why you changed it? Was it damaged? This is literally the first time I have heard of someone changing it out, especially on a 2016.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Gotta be the wrong belt , compare with the old belt you removed , I am also curious as to why you are changing it ..

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Update... yes it was the right belt, we compared the old to the new. And same size, my tensioner was giving up, so while I was changing it, I figured I’d throw on a new belt (gates green belt) and keep the old stock belt as a back-up. But I went home ready to burn the truck last night and went to bed (truck is at my friends in his barn on a 2-post lift he has). But this morning he went out to the barn and got the belt on 1-2-3 [emoji23], just needs me to come over after he is done with breakfast with his family to be on top to slide the belt over the water pump as he pulls down on the new tensioner and then it’s done, I guess after 6-7 hours of fighting it, we both needed to just sleep and come at it with a fresh mind

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes. Sometimes a short break (or even sleeping on it) will get it done faster with much less drama and cussing.

Best of luck getting over the last hurdle!!

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Yes. Sometimes a short break (or even sleeping on it) will get it done faster with much less drama and cussing.

Best of luck getting over the last hurdle!!

I swear I was a minute away from just pushing it off the lift and burning it, I lost it on the 6th hour [emoji23]

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
And final update. Truck is home and running with the new belt and tensioner, and wow that quieted down the truck from the front, sounds like it did when it was brand new

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I swear I was a minute away from just pushing it off the lift and burning it, I lost it on the 6th hour [emoji23]

Easy there lil Jedi, LOL

Congrats too

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pictures pictures pictures... holly **** I take pictures of damn near everything now before I start something... but I feel my mind is slowly going lolol

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Pictures pictures pictures... holly **** I take pictures of damn near everything now before I start something... but I feel my mind is slowly going lolol
I hear that!

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
LOL...Did that with a sbc starter. Two bolts...two, that's it. Get the long one started and then run the short one in with a ratchet & extension.

Three hours and still couldn't start the long one. I invented new curse words!

Anybody whose ever done a starter in the driveway knows how heavy they get when you're on your back and your arms are over your head, working backwards for the 35th time.

Went in, ate lunch, had a beer, went back out and zip - zip - zip it went right in. First try. Just had to walk away from it.

Glad it ain't just me.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
LOL...Did that with a sbc starter. Two bolts...two, that's it. Get the long one started and then run the short one in with a ratchet & extension.

Three hours and still couldn't start the long one. I invented new curse words!

Anybody whose ever done a starter in the driveway knows how heavy they get when you're on your back and your arms are over your head, working backwards for the 35th time.

Went in, ate lunch, had a beer, went back out and zip - zip - zip it went right in. First try. Just had to walk away from it.

Glad it ain't just me.

Yeah even the pea gravel will start cussing at ya trying to flat back it.

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 4x4 C/C
Tradesman Power Wagon

0rion

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
When I feel myself getting irritated that's my cue for a break. Alot of times I'll just pull a chair out in the driveway and drink a bottle of water and grab a chew. Get a clear head then dive back in....makes a huge difference.

Also...for belts if you don't have this tool get one. I use my neighbors snap on but for what it is I'm sure this one would be just fine.
https://m.harborfreight.com/serpent...EALw_wcB&utm_referrer=https://www.google.com/

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
When I feel myself getting irritated that's my cue for a break. Alot of times I'll just pull a chair out in the driveway and drink a bottle of water and grab a chew. Get a clear head then dive back in....makes a huge difference.

Also...for belts if you don't have this tool get one. I use my neighbors snap on but for what it is I'm sure this one would be just fine.
https://m.harborfreight.com/serpent...EALw_wcB&utm_referrer=https://www.google.com/

That’s an excellent tool. I have a lot of HFT tools (my wife is a manager at our local store) That’s good for me[emoji3][emoji3].
Cause I’m hard on tools and phones. I break them a lot!!

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 4x4 C/C
Tradesman Power Wagon

0rion

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 cummins
They put a HF in our town last fall. Before that I had to drive 40-45 minutes to Columbus to go to one. As soon as my wife saw what was going in the building she said "crap". I'm there all the time. The free stuff keeps me going back. I have stacks of tarps and stuff from there haha. Lately I just been getting the free blue flashlight deal....terrible flashlight. I don't even want a free one haha

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
They put a HF in our town last fall. Before that I had to drive 40-45 minutes to Columbus to go to one. As soon as my wife saw what was going in the building she said "crap". I'm there all the time. The free stuff keeps me going back. I have stacks of tarps and stuff from there haha. Lately I just been getting the free blue flashlight deal....terrible flashlight. I don't even want a free one haha

But there good for an emergency. I prefer the black ones best.

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 4x4 C/C
Tradesman Power Wagon