Salt water on engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey folks....Last yr i bought my ram sport from a dealership who just traded in a ram(now mine)that spent its first two yrs in a salt water envirnment...I look at my block and it ****** me off to see that corrosion on the block...Tried wd 40,simple green to see if i can get rid of some of it...
I went to a cpl paint shops and they have no clue to ridding me of my prob...Years and years ago i remember using a basic acid like product that i sprayed on let set for a few min and wash off..Damn engines looked awsome..

This is where i ask my bruthas n sistas for suggestions...

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well if you want to get really radical, you can pull the block out of the truck and get it put in an electrolysis tank. It'll strip every bit of corrosion and rust right off. Other than that I guess soda blasting, or just a wire brush haha. Could we get a pic to see what you are dealing with?

97RamSB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know they use the acid for shocking pools to clean concrete patios & driveways. I'm sure you could put it in a spray bottle (wear some kind of chemical acid resistance gloves) let it sit and then hose it off

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4 Beta

OP
OP
craigsez

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I tried some of that wheel cleaner that has a mild mild acid smell..didn't do ****..
Not taken then engine as once was msg and well I guess it brush n and lotsa elbow grease..

97RamSB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Go to a pool place an get the acid for the pools an read what it's used on. I've used it to clean extremely old, dirty patio concrete. Makes them all nice & white again

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4 Beta

twooldfarmers

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
pool acid is either Muratic or HCL and both are dynamite when it comes to the fumes so be very cautious and also if you get it on anything that is plated with cadium or galvanized it will boil until it is done eating that coating off

yer' playing with fire .......

twooldfarmers

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
those crusty white pimples of corrosion that you are lucky seeing are by now pretty much part of the landscape forever, I have never had any success in doing anything with it other than painting the surfaces with Rustoleum to cover it up