Same Price: Eco Diesel or 5.7 Hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uga40

Reaction score
Ram Year
TBD
Engine
TBD
I have read multiple thread regarding the subject. However, the arguments are based on the premise of the diesel being 5 to 8K more expensive.

I am being quoted the same price for a Big Horn 5.7 with a 12" screen and a Eco Diesel with a 8.4" screen.

I am buying it to tow a 6Klb travel trailer. Not full time, multiple weekend trips with the family. Any thoughts on going with a gas or diesel in this scenario would be appreciated.

Ramrodd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think that price is pertaining to the HD trucks. The Cummins is 8- 10k more than the hemi. What’s the GVWR of the trailer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ohio5pt7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I love my hemi but the new eco has impressive mpgs if you are gonna DD it

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6920 using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Hands down the EcoDiesel will tow a 6K lbs a lot more efficiently and much more pleasant. The EcoD is practically church mouse quiet to begin with and even with 8K lbs behind mine it makes just a little bit more noise, no high reving engine noise. The Gen3 EcoD has a a 1600 rpm 480 ft/lbs torque peak(400 rpms lower than the Gen2 EcoD) compared to the Hemi 410 ft/lbs at 4K rpms, towing will be a breeze.
Like I tell people who are contemplating EcoD vs Hemi, if you luv the fun pedal of the Hemi then go with it. The EcoD will get the job done much more efficiently. The fuel economy numbers for the Gen3 EcoD are slightly better than the previous and only the Pentastar V6 comes close to the fuel economy, the Hemi will pass lots of things, gas stations not so much...lol

OP
OP
U

uga40

Reaction score
Ram Year
TBD
Engine
TBD
I think that price is pertaining to the HD trucks. The Cummins is 8- 10k more than the hemi. What’s the GVWR of the trailer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
7000 LBs

Motoman501

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Not sure if the new Eco's are better but watch the payload capacity if you are shopping. My buddies Eco payload is only about 1100 lbs which limits your travel trailer choices.

OP
OP
U

uga40

Reaction score
Ram Year
TBD
Engine
TBD
Not sure if the new Eco's are better but watch the payload capacity if you are shopping. My buddies Eco payload is only about 1100 lbs which limits your travel trailer choices.
Good call, here are the stats for the eco I am looking at:

MAX PAYLOAD
1730.32LBS
MAX TOWING
10130.32LBS

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel

The EcoDiesel platform weighs about 150-200 lbs more than the Hemi. The EcoD actually has a 100 to 200 higher GVWR compared to the same body/trim level with the Hemi. Comparing the two weight capacity wise is a wash.

Fake-Account27

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Does the eco have an exhaust Brake? If so it's a no brainier there, the exhaust Brake makes towing much eaiser.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Unless they put it in the Gen 3, my Gen 2 had no exhaust brake.

Motoman501

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The EcoDiesel platform weighs about 150-200 lbs more than the Hemi. The EcoD actually has a 100 to 200 higher GVWR compared to the same body/trim level with the Hemi. Comparing the two weight capacity wise is a wash.

I heard Ram stepped up the payload on the newer trucks. My buddies Eco is a 2016 Bighorn I believe. My brother bought a 2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn Hemi and has about 1500 lbs of payload. I really wanted a 1500 but even with a lightweight trailer by the time I added the tongue weight, 5 people, the dog and all the crap my wife thinks we need to camp, I was too heavy. With the 2500 I have no worries about what I load.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I heard Ram stepped up the payload on the newer trucks.
The GVWR and GAWRs of Gen5 trucks has been bumped up and they reduced the vehicle weight, so yes the payloads have gone up.

OP
OP
U

uga40

Reaction score
Ram Year
TBD
Engine
TBD
Another issue with the Hemi is a 23 gallon tank, at 9 MPG towing, you have to stop and fill up every 200 miles....

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
Another issue with the Hemi is a 23 gallon tank, at 9 MPG towing, you have to stop and fill up every 200 miles....

mine has the 33 gal tank and I get over 20 mpg on every highway trip. I get 8-10.5 towing my 6000# travel trailer but I tow it at highway speeds...70 ish. I'm sure I could get 10 most of the time towing if I went at a slower pace as I have got as much as 11.5 on a trailer trip before. as for cargo capacity, I only get 1324# so after me and fuel and gear and 600# of tongue wt. I dont have much left. that is the limiting factor for size of trailer you can tow. not sure how the big horn trim level is 400# lighter...leather upholstry and those cpl. extra radio speakers I have must add up to a lot..

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT

A 33 gal tank is available with a Hemi, I have one. The OP doesn’t state the tank size of the trucks in question.

If towing capabilities between the two trucks are within his parameters, and price with all other things are equal. The 12” screen in the Hemi truck would push me to the Eco-Diesel with the 8.4” screen.

Motoman501

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Be sure and check the door sticker on the exact truck you are looking at to get the actual payload number of that truck. Evidently there's a website where you can also put in the vin number to get the payload as the actual number is usually far smaller than advertised payload numbers.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have read multiple thread regarding the subject. However, the arguments are based on the premise of the diesel being 5 to 8K more expensive.

I am being quoted the same price for a Big Horn 5.7 with a 12" screen and a Eco Diesel with a 8.4" screen.

I am buying it to tow a 6Klb travel trailer. Not full time, multiple weekend trips with the family. Any thoughts on going with a gas or diesel in this scenario would be appreciated.

The Ecodiesel costs $5000 more than the base V6 engine. The Hemi costs $1500 more than the base V6. So the real cost difference between the two engines is $3500.

Given my experience with the Hemi and the Ecodiesel, I won't buy another Eco. I saw great fuel economy with it, but I didn't like the higher maintenance costs. I also missed the sound and feel of a healthy V8. But my main concern is durability. The biggest mistake I made was subscribing to the Ecodiesel forum. Made me feel like I was driving a ticking time bomb.

I realize that there are many people who have had success with the Eco for many miles. And I think that's great. I'm just not sold on the idea of using a small turbo charged engine in a full size truck, whether it's diesel or gas. And I'm not willing to take another chance on one.

In the end you gotta decide for yourself. But I would get the Hemi. If you do buy the Ecodiesel, read up on doing an EGR delete and a tune. EGR systems are killing otherwise reliable diesel engines. But that's another story.

OP
OP
U

uga40

Reaction score
Ram Year
TBD
Engine
TBD
The Ecodiesel costs $5000 more than the base V6 engine. The Hemi costs $1500 more than the base V6. So the real cost difference between the two engines is $3500.

Given my experience with the Hemi and the Ecodiesel, I won't buy another Eco. I saw great fuel economy with it, but I didn't like the higher maintenance costs. I also missed the sound and feel of a healthy V8. But my main concern is durability. The biggest mistake I made was subscribing to the Ecodiesel forum. Made me feel like I was driving a ticking time bomb.

I realize that there are many people who have had success with the Eco for many miles. And I think that's great. I'm just not sold on the idea of using a small turbo charged engine in a full size truck, whether it's diesel or gas. And I'm not willing to take another chance on one.

In the end you gotta decide for yourself. But I would get the Hemi. If you do buy the Ecodiesel, read up on doing an EGR delete and a tune. EGR systems are killing otherwise reliable diesel engines. But that's another story.
Is that with the 3rd Gen 2020 as well?