Seat Belt Stuck (Rear Seat)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Amarilu84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Hemi 5.7L
I have a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 TRX4 Quad Cab V8 5.7L. Ever since I got the truck back in 2018 the center-position rear seat belt has been "stuck" with it only seldom pulling out like normal. It used to be I could pull it tight from underneath/behind the rear seat and wiggling it, to release it. Now I just flat can't get it to unlock.

The strangest thing is that all 3 seat belts in the back seat seem to be 'backwards' as though someone took out the back seat before or something. What I mean is, the buckle part of the seat belt is backwards when you go to naturally pull it across yourself to click it in. You have to flip it which twists the seat belt one time in order to click them in.

Someone told me the guy who owned it previously had the rear window replaced when his son drove an ATV (or a bike of some sort) into the back of the truck and busted out the rear window. Maybe when they replaced the window they took out the back seat? Who knows. How can I unlock this seat belt so it can be used? Is there some method of resetting it, or do I have to take out the back seat and investigate the retracting mechanism?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If your 2008 has a powered sliding rear window, they would have to take out the seat.

If it is not a sliding window, they could have pulled the seat to clean up the mess

i would really consider buying a new belt, but you can try doing a repair on the seat belt retractor.
This is from a Jeep

Last edited:
OP
OP
Amarilu84

Amarilu84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Hemi 5.7L
Thank you, I will look into this.

Update: That guy is a ham. I like him. Maybe I should wear safety goggles though when taking mine apart :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Amarilu84

Amarilu84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 Hemi 5.7L
Update: The problem wasn't necessarily the seatbelt mechanism itself, but rather the rear bench seat wouldn't lift up. I had to lubricate the mechanism that allowed the bench seat to fold up and down - whenever the seatbelt gets stuck, I just fully open and close the rear bench seat and it fixes the seatbelt for some reason. Maybe it is a problem with the seat belt mechanism, but somehow lifting and closing the rear seat fully fixes it and it doesn't happen that often anymore.