Seats

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reamer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does anyone know how hard it is to swap seats? Seems like it ought to be pretty straight forward.

For example if I buy an SLT but want the electric seats from a Laramie is it pretty simple to in-bolt the old and bolt in the new?

Or if I get a Laramie with a bench seat but want the bucket seats and console, is it hard to swap - assuming I find a donor in the junk yard?

Thanks

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Does anyone know how hard it is to swap seats? Seems like it ought to be pretty straight forward.

For example if I buy an SLT but want the electric seats from a Laramie is it pretty simple to in-bolt the old and bolt in the new?

Or if I get a Laramie with a bench seat but want the bucket seats and console, is it hard to swap - assuming I find a donor in the junk yard?

Thanks
The seats are a bolt-in direct swap. The only difference may be in the wiring for the seat heaters. If you install a set of seats that have seat heaters I'm not sure if your trucks seat connectors have the wiring in them to operate the heaters. They will bolt right up and your connectors will plug in and you can operate the electric seats like normal though.

OP
OP
R

Reamer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The seats are a bolt-in direct swap. The only difference may be in the wiring for the seat heaters. If you install a set of seats that have seat heaters I'm not sure if your trucks seat connectors have the wiring in them to operate the heaters. They will bolt right up and your connectors will plug in and you can operate the electric seats like normal though.

Thanks!
That’s pretty much why I had figured.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Cool man. I do seat swaps on a daily basis for my customers. Mainly I do 4th Gen seats in the 3rd Gen trucks. They look really nice and it's a direct swap.

OP
OP
R

Reamer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cool man. I do seat swaps on a daily basis for my customers. Mainly I do 4th Gen seats in the 3rd Gen trucks. They look really nice and it's a direct swap.

Do you find the sears from a wrecking yard? What’s a set of powered bucket (Laramie and up) seats go for? I would only want the front seats. Also whatever console is appropriate if going from bench to bucket.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Do you find the sears from a wrecking yard? What’s a set of powered bucket (Laramie and up) seats go for? I would only want the front seats. Also whatever console is appropriate if going from bench to bucket.

I get my seats from a dismantler local to me. Once they strip a truck all of the interior parts are tagged and labeled and stored indoors.

I get my 4th Gen seats here in Texas for a pretty good price. Laramie seats go for around $400-450 for the front seats and $350-400 for the rear.

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Interested in upgrading to leather seats!!

I have a 2012 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Big Horn with cloth seats and a power drivers seat. I also have the side airbags in my front seats.

Based on info I gathered here and there on posts, only 09-12 seats will work in my truck because of the wiring harness?

And because I have the side airbags in my seats I need to find seats from a 2012 to keep the airbags?

I would of course like to keep the powered drivers seat. Passenger is optional and so is the heated/cooled function. So not having those wouldn’t be a deal breaker.

What are my chances finding leather seats from a 2012 that are in great to excellent condition?
Am I better off buying Katzkin and getting a new drivers side seat cushion? That’s the only thing that really shows any wear.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Interested in upgrading to leather seats!!

I have a 2012 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Big Horn with cloth seats and a power drivers seat. I also have the side airbags in my front seats.

Based on info I gathered here and there on posts, only 09-12 seats will work in my truck because of the wiring harness?

And because I have the side airbags in my seats I need to find seats from a 2012 to keep the airbags?

I would of course like to keep the powered drivers seat. Passenger is optional and so is the heated/cooled function. So not having those wouldn’t be a deal breaker.

What are my chances finding leather seats from a 2012 that are in great to excellent condition?
Am I better off buying Katzkin and getting a new drivers side seat cushion? That’s the only thing that really shows any wear.
If I was in your situation and I wanted to swap seats entirely I would look for a matching 2012 donor truck. When it comes to leather and interior, if I cannot sew it myself, I have a local upholstery shop that I have a great relationship with and they do quality work at an affordable price. Some of the Katzin, Roadwire and Leatherseats.com sets are pretty expensive just for the front seats with airbags. I do small sewing jobs like for adding custom inserts into the original leather or the door panels.

I like to spend my money locally as much as I possibly can to support my community. I can almost guarantee that you can find an excellent upholsterer locally that does good work and doesn't charge outrageous prices. Most of the upholstery shops I deal with already had patterns available and didn't have to order the patterns from another company.

Here in Texas its not hard to find a complete donor truck that has been wrecked or totaled in some way and then snatch the entire interior out of it. Trucks are everywhere here in the DFW area.

Jared Shaffer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Fast69Mopar,
I have a 2019 2500 crew, I need a split rear seat. Will the 2014-2018 rear seat bolt directly in if I buy a 60/40?

Vanterpool224

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I have an 09 Ram 1500 QC with the 40/20/40 front jump seat, older boxy one. Can a new jump seat fit right in, and how difficult is it persay to upgrade to the center console?

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
IMG_0248.jpg If you ever decide you want the console, I have one with the shifter and dash bezel taking up space in my basement.

Marcus Bancroft

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have been looking at this and found you could get a katzkin setup. A full set of leather covers to match your truck, for like $ 700. the job of changing these out is manageable you unbolt the seats, unclip the wiring harness, pull out one seat at at time and the original seat covers are easy to unclip and remove, you can steam the foam to remove nay wrinkes and bring it back to the original shape, then you position the new leather covers, i put a garbage bag with the end cut off over the foam to slide the new cover into place easily, then rip it out. re-attach the plastic clips to the frames and off you go. I haven't done my latest truck yet, but the last truck I had i did a complete re trim. took like a whole evening but not complex at all. I also have a local upholstery shop that does great work, they can get any fabric from any vehicle produced in recent times to do repairs, if you just have a worn bolster or bad foam, you can buy the foam on ebay, and have your local guy do a repair.

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
Learning a lot from this thread.

In the market for front black leather seats for my Quad Cab. Already did the rears.