Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
So like many of you may know, my vehicle window was smashed in and I'm still going through the aftermath cleanup of the matter and now wanting to see what other security options are out there. I tried searching the forum, but nothing really pertaining to what I'm curious about.

So I would ideally just want some sort of motion/glass breakage detectors with sirens, or some OBD security systems, but seems like all I could find were Viper Security add ons..

I've had GPS trackers in the past and I currently have On-Star and the vehicles "built in" useless security system.

From my research thus far, seems like CompuStar would be the best option. But that leads to the first question. Would having an authorized dealer install that void my warranty? Or void my Mopar Lifetime Warranty? It does mess with electrical and breaking through firewall, so I could see that being a cause of concern...and I know of course there's that court act where they have to prove something damaged something, but I'd prefer not even to travel near those territories if possible. I'd really prefer if Mopar offered something similar, but they just don't...

Hardware:
- I can't find the difference between the CompuStar Pro T11 and Pro T12 remotes. Exact same description on the website.
- If I was going with this system I'd probably just go ahead and add the DroneMobile Service and remove OnStar completely. But on their website when choosing the system to build, they only let you select the remote or the app which is a bit weird, so not sure if you can have both or just can have one...
- I'd definitely go with the kit for, "security sensor, LED, E-LOCK relay, and siren to your Compustar remote start system".
- EZ Go accessory, "Proximity entry system that automatically unlocks and locks your vehicle when you approach and leave your vehicle"
- Was even thinking about the RPS Touch, but after some research doesn't seem to be a solid product...

I'm unsure of:
- Any of the above prices.
- How much a dealer would even charge for the whole installation... It's not hard, but I'd rather not mess with this brand new truck.
- If it comes with the whole security module or if it has to be purchased separately.
- Where the sensors are installed.
- Where the siren is installed.
- Does the key fob show you if the vehicle is impacted on what side with the visual display of vehicle?
- Can I use the factory key fob along with this key fob?
- How much would all this even drain the battery if I only drive the vehicle maybe twice a week?

I know this all sounds crazy considering how much I drive the vehicle and how much it'll probably cost if I pulled the trigger on this, but after this whole ordeal with the break-in I want to do anything to prevent it int he future. But then again, who's to say that this whole system would even work? Or even deter the thieves or they'll just continue on? They obviously were pretty quick and stealthy so maybe the sensors wouldn't even pick up on anything until the window and damage is already done leaving the whole system as useless as the factory system was and having me to clean up the mess...

I'm open to any other suggestions you guys got to stay within warranty and further protect my truck from possible incidents in the future through the form of alarms via motion or proximity and siren.

Thanks!!!

OP
OP
NY Andrew

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Called Mopar Warranty... Dude said I’d have to go and ask the dealer if it would void anything. That’s a bunch of BS and I told him that, because in the past I could call in and they can say how wide the tires and spacers could be etc., but he couldn’t tell me yes or no for the security system and that a dealer has to confirm or deny it apparently? Well with thousands of dealers I’m sure some will say it’s fine and others will say it’s not....

OP
OP
NY Andrew

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Did a chat with them online. Just like the Magnusson-Moss Act it seems. If they can prove the damage was from the installation then repairs wouldn’t be covered..

I hate sticky situations like this... Knowing my luck something will happen and it not be covered.

BrazenHaven

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 with eTorque
They have the Mopar EVTS. It’s an aftermarket kit that installs a y connector behind your OBD and a GPS sensor. They have subscriptions that are free, silver, and gold. The gold gives concierge services I didn’t care about, but had smash detection that the silver didn’t. When I had mine installed, it was $1100 but that included factory remote start that I added at the same time. The part is around $350 and it’s a 30 min install for the dealer. When I called to enable the EVTS they offered me lifetime gold for $800 bucks and that includes a one time vehicle transfer. Considering gold retails for $250 a year in 3 years it pays for itself. I got this because I don’t have level 2 package. (Level 2 comes with Sirius XM guardian). I can locate as much as I want and when I want to enable smash protection I go into the app and enable VIP.

I think Guide Point systems is the service provider for it but they must have a dedicated mopar team. If any of you have a bike with Find it Now GPS it’s very similar to that.

2019 Ram 1500 Rebel
N-Fab Epyx Bars, Bak Revolver X2, Mopar EVTS
Pro-tech bed liner, Flowmaster 40, Undercover Swing Case, Husky Mud Flaps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
NY Andrew

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Wow never even heard of this before this is certainly interesting!! Did some quick research and seems like only benefit is it would keep it pretty factory and can track the vehicle and maybe that smash detection which I couldn’t find much on.

Of course no offense to you, but that’s a lot of money for maybe 2 features vs all the above I can pretty much get and way more for over $1k. Think I’m gonna go the compustar route in a couple weeks. Scared how the electrical is gonna go....but they been doin it 10-20 years so guess we’ll see.....

Thanks for the response! Wish they enhance all those features to stay more competitive.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
mine came with the EVTS. I didnt know what it was and didnt ask for it. was a surprise add-on by the dealer. I called the EVTS folks to see about a refund of the 479$ but after talking with them decided to keep it. they say they can locate your vehicle with it and I once had a chevy full size blazer stolen twice so maybe the price is worth it in the grand scheme of things. as for the factory security, I was under the impression that the truck would be disabled if someone makes an attempt to steal it. even my harley has that kind of system.

OP
OP
NY Andrew

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
mine came with the EVTS. I didnt know what it was and didnt ask for it. was a surprise add-on by the dealer. I called the EVTS folks to see about a refund of the 479$ but after talking with them decided to keep it. they say they can locate your vehicle with it and I once had a chevy full size blazer stolen twice so maybe the price is worth it in the grand scheme of things. as for the factory security, I was under the impression that the truck would be disabled if someone makes an attempt to steal it. even my harley has that kind of system.

That’s awesome then! Damn, was it a newer vehicle or older they could Hotwire? Agreed I think it would. I just don’t see many people knowing how or bothering to steal these new vehicles with all the crazy tech behind em unless they truly know how to do it in a split second. That’s great it fits your needs though.

Going all out on my system and I’m worried about the electrical end of this as well as the battery life because I think they said it’ll only last 4-7 days before battery’s dead if I don’t drive it..but I guess it’s something I’ll have to roll with if I want to deter a break in ever again to my vehicle.

BrazenHaven

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 with eTorque
Considering most aftermarket GPS modules for real-time monitoring for autos are anywhere between 15-25 a month, the $250 a year isn’t that overpriced. My old F-150 had LoJack from dealer but I wasn’t able to locate it myself, nor view status within the app. My goal was to have a system I could monitor like my FIN system.

Another benefit is you can set speed alerts and geofences in case someone borrows your truck. Plus it keeps all the trips that have been made.

2019 Ram 1500 Rebel
N-Fab Epyx Bars, Bak Revolver X2, Mopar EVTS
Pro-tech bed liner, Flowmaster 40, Undercover Swing Case, Husky Mud Flaps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
with the EVTS you can track it yourself if you subscribe to one of their services. I didnt want the extra expense of that so they will supposedly find it for me if stolen. when my blazer was stolen, the perps were caught a short time later when they were trying to cram a stolen trail bike in the back. the second time it was stolen it took a cpl. months to find and it was just a stripped out hull.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Glass break sensor or a shock detector its called, just wire it in line with the door light switch. If the glass is broken it will trigger the alarm because the alarm will think the door was opened and when the light comes on it sets the alarm off