Serpentine Belt Life Expectancy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wmjohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
On a 5.7 hemi and 114k miles, with a 7 year old factory serp belt, Im interested to know how far others have gone before replacing this belt.

I know it's good to periodically check for wear etc.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
You've got your monies worth out of that belt. Check the ribbing side for cracking and any distortion on the outside, but yeah it's cheap insurance to replace it since it has +100K miles

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
stuff doesn't usually break at a convenient time.
^^^° exactly
If all one does is drive locally usually within about a half hour from their house it's probably not as big a deal as traveling for hours where you don't know where the next place is that will have the part. Some people live an hours drive from town with little to no phone coverage, that's a long walk if the vehicle breaks down

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
^^^° exactly
If all one does is drive locally usually within about a half hour from their house it's probably not as big a deal as traveling for hours where you don't know where the next place is that will have the part. Some people live an hours drive from town with little to no phone coverage, that's a long walk if the vehicle breaks down
My rig makes a 14 hour trip to Canada once or twice a year through the Dakotas. There's a lot of empty space up there. :)

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I did not look up the Serpentine Belt in the Owners Manual

If i recall from previous searches .....

The book mentioned that the belts are made better today, than 10 years ago, you may never see wear marks, until it breaks.

Online everything reads, 50,000 to 100,000 miles
I think Rams 100,000 mile mandated service & inspection, to keep the Warranty or Extended Warranty Valid, mentions the Belt

I would have to think, that there are Ram owners, that drive with the original belt at 150,000 miles, living on a Hope & a Prayer

OP
OP
W

Wmjohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Sounds like many owners might draw the line at 100k miles. Seems reasonable for a $25 rubber belt.

Watching a few videos, some shop techs use a long handle tool (like 18") with one end like the drive end of a 3/8 ratchet.

Anyone know if a regular 9" or so, 3/8 ratchet is long enough to give you the leverage or reach you need, in order to release the belt tension, working just from the topside?

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Sounds like many owners might draw the line at 100k miles. Seems reasonable for a $25 rubber belt.

Watching a few videos, some shop techs use a long handle tool (like 18") with one end like the drive end of a 3/8 ratchet.

Anyone know if a regular 9" or so, 3/8 ratchet is long enough to give you the leverage or reach you need, in order to release the belt tension, working just from the topside?

I used a 3/8" ratchet but put a cheater pipe on it. I couldn't do it otherwise.

Edited: There isn't much room to work in there. The cheater pipe makes it much easier IMHO.

Last edited: