Serpentine Belt Life Expectancy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Cracks on the ribbed side are normal. When they get REAL deep, that's a good time to replace. But even then, I've seen some really cracked belts which were still working.

The other issue is the rubber on a belt can eventually become hard and glazed. That can lead to slipping and it 'could' (I've seen it) wear out an alternator pulley. What can happen is the alt pulley slips a little, but does it enough over time that it can wear the pully grooves and the peaks get sharp (where they should normally be a little squared off). Then eventually the alternator slips more ...and the battery may not get charged enough.

I mean at 100k, that's a lot of miles, but it doesn't necessarily mean the belt is worn out. But for the cost of a belt, it never hurts to be a little extra cautious. Inspect the condition of the alt pulley too while you look at the belt. Pulley's aren't that expensive if it needed to be replaced.

Good luck

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Breaker bar is cheap at Harbor Freight if you need it
The problem with a breaker bar is that there isn't any movement and it often has the socket in the wrong position. I don't know if that's the case on the Ram, I haven't owned a breaker bar in decades. They usually aren't strong enough for me and break at the head.

Ratchet with a galvanized cheater pipe works wonders or a modified box wrench (made like the special tool) works also.
Though as a disclaimer - they don't rec. the use of cheaters because of the possibility of them slipping off (or for me, they make breaker bars obsolete hahaha ).

Ratchet with custom galvanized cheater (16-18" long) works every time for me. Why galvanized? Easy to shape and debur and doesn't rust yet has the strength without excessive weight. One end is oblong to fit my 1/2 drive craftsman fine tooth, the other end is round for the 3/8 ratchet. I think it's a 1/2" pipe. Decades of use as a mechanic.
It succeeds where impacts have failed - though the newer high torques might have the power now.

Last edited:

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just changed the belts on my wife's Mazda this week - cracked and missing rib pieces 2012 @ 96k miles.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
My 11 before it was sold in 2022 still had the original belt.

My 14 has a different belt due to engine mods

My 16 original belt.

Why fix it if it's not broken
Agree, if cracks, replace, no cracks, keep using it.

We are being sold a bill of goods with all this "Proactive" maintenance. We are being told to replace heater hose, belts etc way before they need to be. Told not to use oil that sat in sealed factory containers on a shelf for more than three years, same for brake fluid or coolant, and on it goes. Have even seen a recommendation recently to replace your pen style tire gauges every 5 years. I have a bunch that are at least 40 years old, work fine. I had a 1957 Dodge Royal that still had all the original hoses on it. Belts I assume had been replaced at some point, but 70 years you would expect a few things to dry out and crack.

In all the years I have been driving I have had to tow one of my vehicles, that was in 2020, and that was because the fuel pump quit completely with no warning. I have also never had to walk home, so I think I am pretty happy with my maintenance routine.

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had it happen one time on an engine I had the head completely redone, straightened, and I got it installed and engine running great again (toyota 4-cyl). Now, you know changing a head on a 4 banger with a timing chain ..and I put on new guides, etc ...its a fair amount of work. Well, I left the pickup sitting in some shin-tall grass for about 2 weeks, as I was slammed at work. Couple weeks later, I got in, drove it and unbeknownst to me the coolant had literally dripped out over the two weeks. Yep! I warped the head again and had to take it all back in for another straightening and re-do!! LOL. The root cause was a weak lower radiator hose, at the worst time. So yeah, park on pavement and don't overlook the hoses when you get to 100k-120k.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I think Rams 100,000 mile mandated service & inspection, to keep the Warranty or Extended Warranty Valid, mentions the Belt

I still have a Lifetime Maxcare Warranty intact on my 2014 and regularly look over the service schedule in the manual and follow it to the letter. This piqued my interest so I just checked and can't find any mention of the belt. There is a blurb on inspecting hoses during oil changes but that's as close as I could find. So, according to Ram it's lifetime? Seems quite optimistic.

My engine was replaced (under warranty) last year and now I'm wondering if they replaced the belt. I asked the service people what exactly the new crate engine came with and it was kind of confusing. I remember the starter and alternator got carried over but I'm not sure about much beyond that. With the warranty it's kind of a non-issue (other than getting stranded and/or taking time to go to the dealer) but I am curious.

To the point of the thread I'm more in the camp of prevention... 10 years or 100K miles is probably a good interval. I agree they must make belts better than they used to. I swear when I was a kid and driving POS cars (back in the 80s) belts would break every other oil change.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
From the "for what it's worth" peanut gallery...
I still have the factory belt on my 2014 5.7 with
103,000 miles.
For about the last 5 oil changes (done at my dealer)
I have asked them to check it and replace if needed.
We might think they would see that as permission and
just do it as a preventive service but they keep telling
me it is good-to-go.

This is not the way I usually do things, especially when
one thing can leave me stranded. I don't get it.
I am going to tell them to replace it next month at my
next oil change.

Yeah, I used to do easy stuff like this myself. Now I'm old,
feeble, and falling apart so I will likely have them do it for me.

EDIT to add: so far, other than all fluids and oils, I have replaced the battery, fuel sending unit, all brakes, all spark plugs, and both low-beam bulbs. I think that's it. Well, and tires.

Last edited:

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is not the way I usually do things, especially when
one thing can leave me stranded. I don't get it.
I am going to tell them to replace it next month at my
next oil change.
Do you have any independent repair shops in your area, I would have them replace your belt and check the tension and belt idler, the stealer doesn't want to do it because it doesn't pay that much and I will bet you they aren't checking it, I wouldn't let them change my oil, probably getting your oil from a bulk 55 gal drum W a no name manufacture and what kind of filter are they using.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On a 5.7 hemi and 114k miles, with a 7 year old factory serp belt, Im interested to know how far others have gone before replacing this belt.

I know it's good to periodically check for wear etc.
My 2011 before i sold it few months ago 220k orig belt and it was still in fair shape.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Do you have any independent repair shops in your area, I would have them replace your belt and check the tension and belt idler, the stealer doesn't want to do it because it doesn't pay that much and I will bet you they aren't checking it, I wouldn't let them change my oil, probably getting your oil from a bulk 55 gal drum W a no name manufacture and what kind of filter are they using.

I know the general opinion, "stealerships", and I have had bad experiences with both dealerships and independent shops. YMMV.

I get the factory filter and Pennzoil 5w-20 UP Plus. I watch them do it. 5k miles or 6 months. My wife's dealership uses Amzoil in her Eclipse.

And if my dealer is willing to replace light bulbs (that are not burned-out, but just because I asked them to) then I think they are willing to replace a belt. The issue has not been a willngness, but rather my asking about it's condition. I have verified it for myself. They are quite honest or I would not go back. Same with an independent shop, which is just as likely to be dishonest or unreliable. I have to choose any shop based on reputation and experience.

I don't get the bit about money. Any business should be charging what is required to maintain itself.

I have never been a mechanic and have very few tools. I am also old and arthritic, feeble and falling apart. I can't do all the things I would like to do.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just had mine looked at 2012 160k and it still looking great.

GreatBu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2011 1500 is still on the original belt at 120,000 miles - it looks OK still, I am not planning on replacing it but I will be wearing a thick pair of pantyhose at all times as a precaution in case I need to make an emergency replacement.... better safe than sorry ! :D

Goose55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins High Output 6.7L
This kicked me in to ordering the kit for the truck, I've been putting it off. Belt/idler/tensioner on the way.
My 2019 Laramie Cummins only has just under 20K miles. I suppose the belts are still good?

jettrink

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
On a 5.7 hemi and 114k miles, with a 7 year old factory serp belt, Im interested to know how far others have gone before replacing this belt.

I know it's good to periodically check for wear etc.
I just sold my 2005 Ram 3500, Cummins, long bed single wheel. Had 166k miles on it. I replaced the S belt at just over 118k miles.
The truck was service and maintained regularly. I nevere gave a thought to the S belt until part of it came off and was laying in the driveway. there was enough left for me to drive it to my service facility.

gfviperman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2011 HEMI ... changed belt at 100K miles after 10 years ...

Had so little trouble with that truck, figured had to do something ...

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
With my luck it would fail during a hurricane, severe thunderstorm, or freezing weather.