"Service Airbag System" warning and airbag light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HK1837

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A hopefully quick question. This came up on my 2021 DS Express 5.7 Quad Cab about a week ago.

I've searched the 'web and this forum and seen many people stating it is the under seat plugs. I'm going to try those in the next day or so.

The fault comes up randomly and also goes away randomly.

I haven't used AlfaOBD yet as it requires the security patch harness and I didn't want to do that yet until the selling dealer took a look.

So I took it to the dealer last week, they plugged it in and gave me the attached printout and told me it wasn't covered by warranty as the radio isn't original. After me asking why the code only just came up now after the UJQ 8.4" screen has been there since February or thereabouts, and if the original radio had anything to do with the airbag system, and then getting nowhere, I then took the attached photo of the printout and thought I'd ask here. Their argument was it says "radio" under ECU so just thought I'd check that here first.

Codes.JPG

It is going in for its first dealer service next week, and I have to pull the UJQ out anyway to replace the delaminating screen. So I thought I'd put its original radio back in and see if the errors go away or not. If they don't I then can try to get them to get their head out of their backsides and figure out what the problem is rather than simply fobbing it off as my fault. Unless it is the UJQ's fault? Do I actually have to get into the BCM and change the type of radio installed? It was an easy plug and play radio swap apart from having to change the centre console media hub, as it still has the Infotainment adapter bezel and MTC aircon setup (I haven't changed it out yet to mpgrimm's patch harness and single zone ATC bezel). It has worked flawlessly for 6 months or more other than the screen delaminating slowly.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hmmm new truck. How does it's battery cable connections look? Even though it's new, still worth a look, incl grounds. Maybe they weren't tightened enough. These trucks are real touchy with electrical connections and batt/grounds are quite common issues ...and the easiest to check.

OP
OP
H

HK1837

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have played around with the battery terminals to get enough room for extra connections for the DC-DC and winch. Will get in and check all those and see if it goes away.

Flip-er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Big Horn 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had this happen right after I bought my truck in 2013 with under 1000 miles on it, and same with cruz control, turned out to be a clock spring they said.

OP
OP
H

HK1837

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wondered about the clock spring. But wouldn't the horn and volume controls not work?

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Did you write that the replacement radio is from Infotainment.com? I'd contact them if all this occurred after you installed one of their radios.

CAGEYAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Where in NJ are you?
I worked for FCA before retiring in 2018 and might be able to recommend a dealer.

OP
OP
H

HK1837

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you write that the replacement radio is from Infotainment.com? I'd contact them if all this occurred after you installed one of their radios.

The bezel on it now is from Infotainment, not the radio. I don't know exactly where the radio came from, whether it was local or originally from Infotainment. It has been in Australia for a few years now and I bought it after the owner upgraded to an aftermarket radio.

I doubt the radio is the problem though, it's been in there for over 6 months with no issues until now.

OP
OP
H

HK1837

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update. This morning I took the UJQ 8.4" out and put the original RA2 back in. Been out driving a few times and no "service airbag system" fault codes.

So as its a straight plug and play there must be a bad connection between the UJQ radio and the harness? I can't think of what else it could be.

Note also that the 2018-2021 Classic Media Hub for the 8.4" uConnect actually works perfectly with the RA2.

Spoke too soon. "service airbag system" code back up again this afternoon. Looks like an argument with the dealer again tomorrow as its going in for it its first service.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

HK1837

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dealer found the issue. It was pinched wiring under an airbox mounting bolt. Wiring had worn through and exposed and flattened CAN wiring. It was for the RIGHT FRONTAL ACCELERATION SENSOR. Wiring repaired and codes cleared and all good so far.

Elwood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Don't know if it is the issue, but I get a service airbag light sometimes. Jiggling the harness under the driver seat gets rid of it. Loose connector I guess. I sometimes store plastic shopping bags under the seat and disturb it.

OP
OP
H

HK1837

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Don't know if it is the issue, but I get a service airbag light sometimes. Jiggling the harness under the driver seat gets rid of it. Loose connector I guess. I sometimes store plastic shopping bags under the seat and disturb it.

I've heard and read about those connectors a few times and though that they might be the issue, but I wanted the dealer to find the problem which was the wiring as described above.

Poppop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Viper 8.4
I had the same issue with the airbag light in the dash. Local dealer replaced a harness under the drivers seat and all good. Not a good idea to put anything under the seats. Wiring seems to be fragile

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would agree, storage under front seats not such a good idea these days with Gen 2 or newer air bags as there are weight sensors, position sensors, etc. under and in the seat to set air bag deployment perimeters and can damage or cause them to set in correct perimeters for discharge