Service Department Incompetence

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MTRamFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Had my new 2023 Limited in to the purchasing dealer for the first oil change. The problem I have with the experience is that the dealer entry on the RAM app listed a mileage that was way off. Not just a little, like 3,500 miles off which is a lot for a vehicle that is a few months old. I called today and talked to a service advisor who said that was not a good thing as these are reported to CarFax. I also get a discount on my insurance for low yearly mileage. The service advisor left a voicemail saying there was nothing they could do to correct their error.

Any idea if the dealer can in fact fix their error in the system so it shows the correct mileage when they serviced it? Maybe @RamCares can chime in?

This is the 2nd issue I've had with this service department. In 2020 I had my Power Wagon in for service and they tried to charge me for service that was clearly not performed. When I brought it to their attention after they presented the bill, they admitted they did not perform the service and took the charge off the bill. Unfortunately where I live in rural Montana, RAM dealers are few and far between. I figured with the recent purchase there and time lapse with employee turnover things would improve. Still the same Service Manager running the show though.

OP
OP
MTRamFan

MTRamFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks MADDOG. Guess if the Service Manager refuses to help I will have to touch bases with the General Manager of the Dealership. Funny thing is, the mileage is not in question. I took a pic of the instrument cluster on the way to the dealer, and a few miles out as I like to document the MPG, which I am pleased to report averaged 20.1 at the time. A 400 mile road trip yesterday yielded 21.0 MPG.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
No law says you have to go to the dealer for an oil change. Jiffy Lube will work just fine.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thanks MADDOG. Guess if the Service Manager refuses to help I will have to touch bases with the General Manager of the Dealership. Funny thing is, the mileage is not in question. I took a pic of the instrument cluster on the way to the dealer, and a few miles out as I like to document the MPG, which I am pleased to report averaged 20.1 at the time. A 400 mile road trip yesterday yielded 21.0 MPG.
Hold the receipt with mileage up against the odometer, if possible, and take a picture. Suggest phone with full date in picture as well. At least until you get it straightened out, at least you have a date stamped picture of proof.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
Had my new 2023 Limited in to the purchasing dealer for the first oil change. The problem I have with the experience is that the dealer entry on the RAM app listed a mileage that was way off. Not just a little, like 3,500 miles off which is a lot for a vehicle that is a few months old. I called today and talked to a service advisor who said that was not a good thing as these are reported to CarFax. I also get a discount on my insurance for low yearly mileage. The service advisor left a voicemail saying there was nothing they could do to correct their error.

Any idea if the dealer can in fact fix their error in the system so it shows the correct mileage when they serviced it? Maybe @RamCares can chime in?

This is the 2nd issue I've had with this service department. In 2020 I had my Power Wagon in for service and they tried to charge me for service that was clearly not performed. When I brought it to their attention after they presented the bill, they admitted they did not perform the service and took the charge off the bill. Unfortunately where I live in rural Montana, RAM dealers are few and far between. I figured with the recent purchase there and time lapse with employee turnover things would improve. Still the same Service Manager running the show though.
If you are using Litha in Great Falls, good luck getting anything accomplished.

I do everything in my absolute power to stay out of there unless I am picking up a mopar part that only they have.

My only consolation is, dealers in other states are just as bad, if not worse.

I'm the only person that touches my RAM unless it's something I specifically just can not do.

HuskerRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Won't it self correct when the truck is taken in for the next service event? At your next oil change, warranty claim, etc., they'll record the new mileage, correct? Of course, if they do it again, shame on them. (and burn the building to the ground!)

OP
OP
MTRamFan

MTRamFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My point being, whether or not you get this particular issue resolved I would not be patronizing them again as you can't trust them.
I usually do it myself but the first one I have them do it to get that gorilla applied factory oil filter off. Also we are in the process of packing up for a move across the country so I wanted the oil changed before the journey so this will be my last visit with this dealership but my glowing review will live on!

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Tried to charge you for something they clearly did not do, wow that would have been an interesting conversation! So how much was this extra service?

OP
OP
MTRamFan

MTRamFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Tried to charge you for something they clearly did not do, wow that would have been an interesting conversation! So how much was this extra service?
Tire rotation for $20. My R/F rim had a distinguishing mark that was there before taking it in and it was still in the R/F position after it came out for other service and was on the work order that the rotation was performed. Long story-short, they obviously took it off and put on some fake show how the grease money in the service bay was in big trouble and the assistant service manager came out and tried to appease me. Funny thing is I never get the emailed service reviews to complete, the ones that they claim were if they don't get a "10" then they failed. I bought the Limited there and thought I would give them a second chance. The sales side was okay but the service side blows.

OP
OP
MTRamFan

MTRamFan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you are using Litha in Great Falls, good luck getting anything accomplished.

I do everything in my absolute power to stay out of there unless I am picking up a mopar part that only they have.

My only consolation is, dealers in other states are just as bad, if not worse.

I'm the only person that touches my RAM unless it's something I specifically just can not do.
You can see the dealer placard in the front license plate frame of my avatar. Which reminds me I need to get their advertising off my mudflaps. Their hitch cover has been in the landfill for a few weeks.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I keep all my receipts
Date, Time, etc.
They go into a shoe box, away from heat

I do not go to those quick change places.
I took a vehicle to Jiffy Lube & requested Castrol GTX motor oil for a Chevy truck that i drove there that day.
They used some no name oil, i had watched them & made them change it.
( they drained it & put the drained oil back in the bottles )

I had also told them to lube the rear driveshaft zerk, they never did that either, until i mentioned it.
They had to drive the truck forward, so they could reach the rear u-joint. They use a Service Pit, not a hoist

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Won't it self correct when the truck is taken in for the next service event? At your next oil change, warranty claim, etc., they'll record the new mileage, correct? Of course, if they do it again, shame on them. (and burn the building to the ground!)
Yup, they had my odo off by more than 70,000 miles and it was corrected on the last service (airbag recall) visit.

Cdp45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I too live in a rural town in AZ. The Dodge dealer here has a service department that I don’t trust. Took my 2500 to them to have the pinion seals replaced because they were seaping. They refused to do it stating the front and rear diffs needed rebuilding. Asked them how they came to that conclusion and they said they checked the back lash. Asked them how they checked the back lash and they were unable to tell me. Went to an independent shop and got it done.

ashman155

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I hear you about the service. I was working in the oil sands in Northern Alberta, had to have my truck towed to the dealer in the town there. Phoned and told them what might be the problem was told by the dealer no problem. i called two days later was told we look after our customers first before we look at tow ables. That got my dander up. Phoned customer service and boy the next day I had my truck out of the shop from the dealer. Another dealer i had a problem with i live in a major city in Alberta, had a truck where the 4WD went on it. I managed to drive 12 hrs in 2WD from northern Alberta. I made arrangements with the dealer day before leaving where I had worked. i was promised that it would be ready in the 10 days I was home. Nope it wasn't. I missed 3 days of work fly back to the nearest town, boss picked me up good thing I was training. Two weeks later I got a call tellling me the truck was ready to go, told them it will sit there until I get home which was a week later. Flew back out. I work 15 days in 10 days out, any how the next day I went to the dealer when I got back and they tried to present me a bill for $5000 for repairs, told them you just cost me $5000 for loss of use for my truck, three days wages plus airfare, somebody better cough up or we see you in court. I was loud enough they heard me in the show room. Bang they disappeared in a hurry came out with a new bill of $25 dollars just for the paper work. I paid it and got a new truck that afternoon. I had a TT on my way to the states with it and in southern Alberta when I lost a part off the TT that needed replacing, phoned the dealer where I lived in northern Alberta and bought from. Told me about their sister dealer in the area i was in. Perfect I thought went there nope I was told you didn't buy from us and you have to go back home to get it fixed plus we are busy. That was a four hour drive back home to the original dealer. Missus and I where so pissed at this we started getting really loud in the dealership, like saying you are telling us that we bought a ************* of a trailer, plus you are going to pay for our round trip fuel, we actually scared off customers. Boy oh boy they had us in the shop pretty quick replaced and repaired the part in and out twenty minutes tops. paid $40 when it was under warranty, so I let the manufacturer about this fiasco got my money back pretty quick. Even had a dealer replace a set of bolts on a deep dish transmission pan that was installed by them. yep it was an after market pan that I bought but had them install it. when I told them that they where choked, they had used the original bolts some where missing not long enough. Since then I check before driving away. caught them different times about their foul up. They get choked as its an extra cost to fix their screw up. Fix right first time then you won't have a problem. They think once it leaves our shop and something happens to the vehicle customer is on the hook for more expenses because of their fiasco, so I always check before leaving. I have found tools and parts hanging that supposedly been worked on and repaired. talk about egg on their face.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
No law says you have to go to the dealer for an oil change. Jiffy Lube will work just fine.
I went to Jiffy Lube once and that was enough.
They pulled my drain plug and let the oil drain all over the skid plate. When I started driving it all sprayed back under my chassis. Oil everywhere.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yup, they had my odo off by more than 70,000 miles and it was corrected on the last service (airbag recall) visit.
Once the work order is entered into the system with the incorrect mileage, it stays. However, upon the next visit and a new work order the (hopefully) new correct mileage will also be registered in the system.

Regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 92308 miles.

Ratman6161

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Had my new 2023 Limited in to the purchasing dealer for the first oil change. The problem I have with the experience is that the dealer entry on the RAM app listed a mileage that was way off. Not just a little, like 3,500 miles off which is a lot for a vehicle that is a few months old....
I may be dense, but I'm trying to figure out what you mean. When you say the "Ram app" are you talking about the phone app? My 2022 2500 has the "Connected Services Delete" option. This I formation doesn't show up in the phone app at all on mine. I can see mileage on the dashboard page on the My Mopar site, but that never changes unless someone updates it manually. ( https://www.mopar.com/ramtrucks/en-us/my-vehicle/dashboard.html). I can change it myself, but it also updated when I had it at my local dealer to install some accessories...I assume they must have done it. Or are we talking something different here?