Service shifter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David Jr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve got a 2018 ram1500, over 41k on the odometer.
It will NOT start.
Two indicators on my dash,
-service shifter
-service transmission

Idk why it won’t start? (Will not turn over)
Perhaps some sort of safety mechanism is preventing me from starting it.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
It will NOT start.
-service shifter
-service transmission

Post this in the 09 to 21 Classic threads,you'll probably get more help.Got any way to read the codes,if not try disconnecting the battery for a bit,and see if it'll do a reset so it'll start and you can take it somewhere to get the codes read.

Engine & Performance | DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
They are going to probably have to replace the valve body, that's what happened to someone I know .. he took it in and that is what fixed the problem ...

BryanAnde

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It will NOT start.
-service shifter
-service transmission

I just start having a similar problem. Mine starts but doesnt shift into gear. No power to the trans controls. Hope your fix is easier than mines been haha.

MKelley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1500 3.6L
Think I have a similar issue. Truck starts but struggles to turn over, but will after a try or two. Showing up at the same time is code U1467, and getting "Service Shifter" message on the dash.

-Don't think its a problem with the starter or alternator
-Guessing my battery needs replacement and the weak battery is causing a communication issue with the shifter to trip the code and service shifter message
-Wondering if I truly have a bad shifter and that is impacting my starting.

Google search and other forum threads have not really shown a fix. Several posters with multiple dealer trips to replace shifters but still have problems. One with a service shifter problem that turned out to be a moist connection. Think I could have my battery checked and replaced if needed, but seems odd to have the code and shifter message arrive at the exact same time, and don't want to waste $300 on a battery.

1999 White C5 Coupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Think I have a similar issue. Truck starts but struggles to turn over, but will after a try or two. Showing up at the same time is code U1467, and getting "Service Shifter" message on the dash.

-Don't think its a problem with the starter or alternator
-Guessing my battery needs replacement and the weak battery is causing a communication issue with the shifter to trip the code and service shifter message
-Wondering if I truly have a bad shifter and that is impacting my starting.

Google search and other forum threads have not really shown a fix. Several posters with multiple dealer trips to replace shifters but still have problems. One with a service shifter problem that turned out to be a moist connection. Think I could have my battery checked and replaced if needed, but seems odd to have the code and shifter message arrive at the exact same time, and don't want to waste $300 on a battery.

What type of truck do you have that requires a battery that costs $300?

amckellips1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L V6 Ecodiesel
What did it take to get your guys trucks running again?

My truck is experiencing the same problem now...2015 Ecodiesel with 103k miles flashed me the service shifter message on the dash, now it's in my driveway and won't even turn over.

The more research I do across different forums, the more people I see mentioning that the valve body had to be replaced....any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ram417

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2017 Big Horn Hemi 1500 with 16,000 just flashed the "Service Shifter" message today. Everything seems to be fine for now, but I appreciate all the tips you guys have mentioned here.

amckellips1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L V6 Ecodiesel
My 2017 Big Horn Hemi 1500 with 16,000 just flashed the "Service Shifter" message today. Everything seems to be fine for now, but I appreciate all the tips you guys have mentioned here.
It looks like you are much lower mileage that I am, but I ended up calling my mechanic and he told me to replace my battery and that should clear the code. Sure enough it did and my problem went away. Apparently when a battery's voltage is too low it can cause the computer to throw weird codes that aren't necessarily true. Hope your issue gets resolved....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye