Shark fin antenna swap???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck has a readylift sst leveling kit . 3" in front and 2"in rear . If I decide to go higher in the future my "shark fin antenna " will hit the header of the garage door... anyone swap it for a low pro??fc8d72532dcaf1b8cdd5293edb4d09f0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Excuse my ignorance, but is the shark fin for the radio or satellite radio?

I think my sat radio antenna is flat, I'll look when I go out to the truck in an hour but couldn't see it from my desk. If for sat radio maybe a different one from a earlier model like my 2011 will work?

Ferro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am having the same problem with my truck. It has a 4 inch lift with 35's. It did fit in the garage until I leveled out the front A 1 1/2 Now it doesn't fit. I guess this is the price we pay for looking good. Lol

OP
OP
BEAST19

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I could be wrong but I think she shark fin allows for satellite communication like onstar. I could do without that anyways . If I could get an asnswe on swapping for the flat antenna cover

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I could be wrong but I think she shark fin allows for satellite communication like onstar. I could do without that anyways . If I could get an asnswe on swapping for the flat antenna cover

Correct. Only trucks with UConnect Access have the shark fin. If you swap in the lower profile antenna, you'll need a "911 fooler" cable as the truck shows an error if no cellular antenna is connected. The fooler is what people use when they upgrade to a radio that has the cellular connection but they don't want to go to the shark fin antenna.

OP
OP
BEAST19

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Correct. Only trucks with UConnect Access have the shark fin. If you swap in the lower profile antenna, you'll need a "911 fooler" cable as the truck shows an error if no cellular antenna is connected. The fooler is what people use when they upgrade to a radio that has the cellular connection but they don't want to go to the shark fin antenna.

How do I get one of those? Is it difficult to do the swap??

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just looked, guess mine is taller than i thought. Its not flat

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
BEAST19

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just looked, guess mine is taller than i thought. Its not flat

If it doesn't have that huge 2+inch shark fin then it's much shorter than mine and would allow for some more clearance.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it doesn't have that huge 2+inch shark fin then it's much shorter than mine and would allow for some more clearance.

Ill snap a pic once i get to tge store

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
How do I get one of those? Is it difficult to do the swap??

The fooler cable? Several people sell them or you can make one yourself. If you want to buy one, I'd contact vendor M2 Mods.

The antenna should be pretty simple to swap. I believe the hole in the roof is the same. However, I believe the overall footprint of the shorter antenna is smaller, so there may be an outline of the old one fades/etched that you'll need to deal with.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

It's significantly shorter. Definitely less than an inch - I'd say probably around 5/8".

OP
OP
BEAST19

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The fooler cable? Several people sell them or you can make one yourself. If you want to buy one, I'd contact vendor M2 Mods.

The antenna should be pretty simple to swap. I believe the hole in the roof is the same. However, I believe the overall footprint of the shorter antenna is smaller, so there may be an outline of the old one fades/etched that you'll need to deal with.

Awesome thanks for the info!!!

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here is the one on my truck 7f874fed426a4a7cb4a519d75b91e8f1.jpg

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The antenna swap is fairly simple , a few here have upgraded to the shark fin from the puck style antenna.

Regardless of where your antenna is located all you have to do is drop the overhead liner just enogh to gain access to the antenna . The overhead drop is straight forward when you look at it ..A.B & C pillars , rubber seals and sun visors and overhead console are the only components holding the O/H liner up .

Seems like a lot but whether your Antananarivo is in the back or front of the cab you can have access to the antenna in 10 -12 minutes.

I will caution you to wear latex gloves and peel back the black rubber seals and apply a painters masking tape to the head liner to prevent getting the black residue on the light tan headliner .

As 00R/T eluded to above you will need a 911 delete plug aka fooler plug (from M2Mods a vendor here) so you do not get the " phone message " on the radio.

You will have only the mustard colored plug hooked up to the puck antenna , just tape the purple plug & cable down so it doest rattle .

The mustard color plug is SXM & GPS , meaning you will still have Sirius & Navigation.

Fwiw I've upgraded to the RA4 8.4NA radio , I have the puck style antenna and the fooler plug installed , the fooler plug acts like a stub antenna and it is plugged directly to the back of the radio , I still have the Sprint 3G coverage and my 911 / Assist functions work 100% on the mirror buttons and radio.
If you have a Uconnect access apps account , you may loose the ability to interact with some uconnect apps or have a weak signal.

Hope this helps !

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
BEAST19

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The antenna swap is fairly simple , a few here have upgraded to the shark fin from the puck style antenna.

Regardless of where your antenna is located all you have to do is drop the overhead liner just enogh to gain access to the antenna . The overhead drop is straight forward when you look at it ..A.B & C pillars , rubber seals and sun visors and overhead console are the only components holding the O/H liner up .

Seems like a lot but whether your Antananarivo is in the back or front of the cab you can have access to the antenna in 10 -12 minutes.

I will caution you to wear latex gloves and peel back the black rubber seals and apply a painters masking tape to the head liner to prevent getting the black residue on the light tan headliner .[emoji38]

As 00R/T eluded to above you will need a 911 delete plug aka fooler plug (from M2Mods a vendor here) so you do not get the " phone message " on the radio.

You will have only the mustard colored plug hooked up to the puck antenna , just tape the purple plug & cable down so it doest rattle .

The mustard color plug is SXM & GPS , meaning you will still have Sirius & Navigation.

Fwiw I've upgraded to the RA4 8.4NA radio , I have the puck style antenna and the fooler plug installed , the fooler plug acts like a stub antenna and it is plugged directly to the back of the radio , I still have the Sprint 3G coverage and my 911 / Assist functions work 100% on the mirror buttons and radio.
If you have a Uconnect access apps account , you may loose the ability to interact with some uconnect apps or have a weak signal.

Hope this helps !

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Awesome ! That'll help a lot! Thank u!

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would do the swap with you.
Have the "puck-style" GPS/sat antenna.
PM sent...

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2013 w/ 32k Miles, garage kept.
Antenna is black, not painted, not faded and works perfect.

Last edited:

repo4sale

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7diesel
Got a stubby that I don't want!

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

repo4sale

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7diesel
Oops, you mean the small pod antenna above the driver?

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.