Shift knob! Anyone make custom or different texture shift knobs ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tino lopez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hey guys only had my truck for a few months. But the shift knob has the same texture and is similar to the size as the heating and cooling fan adjustment knob. This throws me off from time to time as they feel the same so sometimes I will turn the wrong knob LOL anyways just curious if there is a machine shop that makes custom replacement knobs that will be direct fit or if there are any other options. I may just take the knob off and bring it to a local shop and have them make me a Billet one. Personally I feel like the knob should have a totally different texture so you know which one is the shifter as soon as you touch it that's just my two cents haha thanks for any input in advance , to anyone that owns or works at a machine shop this could be a quick and easy way to make a decent buck -- Tino

20190126_161345.jpg

20190208_074457.jpg

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Honestly, it isn't worth it. Give it time, you will get used to the bad design. I rarely make the AC adjustment after having my truck about a year and a half, it still happens, but rarely now.

Even if you go through the effort to come up with another solution, you will still mistake the other dials for the shifter.

It should be in a different place. The Euro vehicles with this dial, have it between the seats, not up next to other dials.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Still find myself grabbing the wrong one, almost 5 years later.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m curious if a split second glance at what you’re grabbing would solve this issue.

It would, but for me, when I need to do a quick U-Turn on a busy road, I'm trying not to take my eyes off the road. Especially in the NYC area, where it is almost impossible to make a U-turn anywhere without backing up.

BTD07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It becomes second nature, so much in fact that when I am in my wifes Jeep I instinctively go for the dial, when its not there

Black W900

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Honestly, it isn't worth it. Give it time, you will get used to the bad design. I rarely make the AC adjustment after having my truck about a year and a half, it still happens, but rarely now.

Even if you go through the effort to come up with another solution, you will still mistake the other dials for the shifter.

It should be in a different place. The Euro vehicles with this dial, have it between the seats, not up next to other dials.

Honestly if after a year and a half you're still mistaking the shifter for other knobs....You probably shouldn't be allowed to drive.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Honestly if after a year and a half you're still mistaking the shifter for other knobs....You probably shouldn't be allowed to drive.

You are welcome to come up to NYC area and attempt to have to do U-Turns in a rush. Until then, I will chalk this up to you live in TN and probably have never had to parallel park a vehicle... (and if you did, you probably can't remember the exact date, for me it was today)

Irongoats

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You are welcome to come up to NYC area and attempt to have to do U-Turns in a rush. Until then, I will chalk this up to you live in TN and probably have never had to parallel park a vehicle... (and if you did, you probably can't remember the exact date, for me it was today)

haha

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Tino yea that knob take time getting use to lol. FYI when you turn the FAN knob you DO NOT go in reverse lol I added my Challenge coin to mine so besides looking good does have a different feel !

coin2.jpg

Last edited:

Black W900

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

I've driven tractor trailers for decades in and around NYC, Boston, Chicago and San Francisco.
I think I might be able to do a u turn or parallel park in a pickup truck without getting too confused.
Please Forgive me if I find it amusing that you get all jammed up by a shift knob.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've driven tractor trailers for decades in and around NYC, Boston, Chicago and San Francisco.
I think I might be able to do a u turn or parallel park in a pickup truck without getting too confused.
Please Forgive me if I find it amusing that you get all jammed up by a shift knob.

Did your tractor trailer have a round shift knob next to two other round knobs? If not, it doesn't apply.

I still do not think a tractor trailer applies to the need for a quick u-turn, as you take right of way, and never attempt to do U-turns with on coming traffic.

The point is, even if you don't believe it, when you have to rush to shift, when there are 3 knobs that are close together, and you are trying to shift by feel (without you eyes), even the brightest of professional driver may occasionally reach the wrong knob. You do not see issue with it, because when you are driving your truck, you do so in TN, where there are less times when there is a need for "blind" shifting.

Last edited:

BTD07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
"This" thread is back! It will never end lol

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
"This" thread is back! It will never end lol
Just like a Oil thread lol. BUT as long as new owners keep buying RAM'S will will keep getting repeat question's and I am fine with that :) Plus the search box is not that great ,for me at least :O

BTD07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Consider this thread :mfr_closed1: