Shock Absorbers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dmphelps

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 2014 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Quad Cab has 150,000 miles... The ride is not as firm as it once was. I would like recommendations for shock absorber replacements from readers with similar trucks. I'm not looking for anything extreme or something for offroading, just a quality after market shock to replace the stock shocks. i run Michelin LTX on stock rims. Thanks for any advice!

chaosh1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Well, i hate to say it but extreme is a matter of perspective.

cost wise Bilstein would be a good aftermarket for the lowest cost, Fox is great but a little more expensive, but King!!. Buy once, Cry once. I bought King reservoir shocks and all I do is Tow but they are amazing. 2-3 times the cost of Fox though.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
@dmphelps if your changing the shocks yourself, consider buying these to make changing the rear shocks easier:
It negates having to make or modify a tool to remove the rear shocks which many have reported needing to do.

KYPOTLICKER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cost wise Bilstein would be a good aftermarket for the lowest cost, Fox is great but a little more expensive, but King!!. Buy once, Cry once. I bought King reservoir shocks and all I do is Tow but they are amazing. 2-3 times the cost of Fox though.

Bilstein or Fox I believe would suit what you are looking for without crying to hard. Recommend Nick@GotExhaust here on the forum for any suspension needs

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The standard for the 4x4 crowd is bills 5100 height adjustable shocks, I have them, they are one of the best upgrades anyone with a truck can do cheaply. It will take the rake out of the truck, I do recommend 2.1 level and not 2.8, less travel is a little easier on cv boots and ball joints. These are by far the most popular shock for 4x4's for good reason.

It is super easy to adjust headlights down as well, just a screw on the fender look it up. Measure where the stock lights sit on garage, then when you change level, you can easily adjust the light beam to oem level if you marked it on garage,

nick has cheap prices and good service.

Last edited:

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
I did bilstein 5100s in the rear and complete loaded bilstein 6112s in the front.

The 6112s are built to the height adjustment you want, come pre loaded with new springs and make for a near effortless install of a previously complicated front disassemble and reassemble.

You pay a bit more, for the time saved, it was 100% worth it. I r&red the front in less than 3 hours and I didn't have to worry about being knocked out by a decompressing spring.

Ride is top notch.

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
I went with Bilstein 4600's all around as I wanted to maintain stock ride height for towing & truck camper usage. Fox 2.0 for the steering damper & a 5100 for the rear axle hop. Regardless, go with Nick for great pricing & service.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I wouldn’t rule out KYB shocks if you’re looking to return to the stock ride.

MontanaHandyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How about if a guy wanted a softer ride? My bones are gettin' older and the stock shocks on my 1500 are getting just too stiff for me anymore. I do very minimal towing and material hauling... nothing heavy duty anymore. Any suggestions?

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I just purchased some rancho 9000 adjustable shocks for my RCSB , I am also looking for a softer ride and could not find any specific to a reg cab , being lighter than all the rest . Anyhow I have not got them on yet as it’s been raining a lot where I am . But hopefully this weekend I’ll get them on with a satisfaction report to follow. Might be something to consider, they was cheaper then Qa1s .

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wouldn’t rule out KYB shocks if you’re looking to return to the stock ride.
KYB are great shocks and struts. Have used them several times on lighter and smaller vehicles. One point to note is KYB doesn’t have the greatest strut top mounting plates. They use teflon bushings and they are known to stick giving a nice little pop sound when you first turn the steering wheel. I can’t speak to their mounting plates for larger vehicles but it has been my experience that the ones they sell for cars or CUVs are noisy. YMMV.

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
@dmphelps if your changing the shocks yourself, consider buying these to make changing the rear shocks easier:
It negates having to make or modify a tool to remove the rear shocks which many have reported needing to do.
Highly recommend these if you're doing it yourself. Made the rear shock replacement a piece of cake.

I've got Bilstein 5100s on mine, can't say enough about them. Not harsh, not too soft either, just right. Even my 65yr old dad likes them. Plus you can leave them at stock height if you wish or get up to 2.8" of lift out of them without changing the ride.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I installed a set of KYBs on my 1500 a couple years ago. Stock suspension on the truck. Was very happy with their ride and no issues towing. I believe I purchased them from rock auto. For not much more, you could get the fronts with the springs already mounted. Saved a lot of work swapping the springs. Also definitely get the thuren kit, I drove around for a week with loose rears because I could not get them tightened enough no matter what tool I tried.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How about if a guy wanted a softer ride? My bones are gettin' older and the stock shocks on my 1500 are getting just too stiff for me anymore. I do very minimal towing and material hauling... nothing heavy duty anymore. Any suggestions?

I recommend the Eibach Pro kit. They come with new struts, shocks, and coils. They offer a smoother ride than stock and still perform better. The struts are adjustable so you can level the truck as well!

Message me for options and pricing

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
The standard for the 4x4 crowd is bills 5100 height adjustable shocks, I have them, they are one of the best upgrades anyone with a truck can do cheaply. It will take the rake out of the truck, I do recommend 2.1 level and not 2.8, less travel is a little easier on cv boots and ball joints. These are by far the most popular shock for 4x4's for good reason.

It is super easy to adjust headlights down as well, just a screw on the fender look it up. Measure where the stock lights sit on garage, then when you change level, you can easily adjust the light beam to oem level if you marked it on garage,

nick has cheap prices and good service.
^^ Listen to this advice!!!!

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
My 2014 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Quad Cab has 150,000 miles... The ride is not as firm as it once was. I would like recommendations for shock absorber replacements from readers with similar trucks. I'm not looking for anything extreme or something for offroading, just a quality after market shock to replace the stock shocks. i run Michelin LTX on stock rims. Thanks for any advice!

Rancho 9000XL

Also replace your steering stabilizer.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Rancho 9000XL - they can be adjusted for the ride you want.

Also replace your steering stabilizer.