Shock Bushing/Sleeve Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcarden10

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got my 6” Superlift with Bils this week. Installing this weekend. I want to go ahead and get the bushings installed in the shocks, so I don’t have to worry with it during install. Is there a trick to get to getting them in? I messed with one last night, but couldn’t get it all the way in. Tried installing the bushing then the sleeve, but can only get it about 3/4 of the way in. Also tried putting the sleeve in the bushing first then pressing it in, but didn’t have anything to keep the bushing from tilting, so it wouldn’t go in. I was trying to do this with a C clamp and/or nuts/bolts/washers.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Put some marine grease on the bushing and metal sleeve, put the bushing in the shock, then install the sleeve, it should go in. I think I used my vice

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use a vice to cut down on the number of moving parts with only two hands

OP
OP
jcarden10

jcarden10

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Grease did the trick. I didn’t have any when I messed with it the other night, so I was using WD40.

Word of advice for anyone that may read this in the future who has never done this before (like me), you have to put the bushing in then the sleeve. Even with grease, if you put the sleeve in the bushing then try to press them in at the same time, it WILL NOT go in. However, I don’t have a vise. I was using nuts/bolts/washers and wrenches to press them in, so maybe a vise would make a difference, but the sleeve actually started pressing into the rectangle washer I was using.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It’s always best to put grease on those type of bushings to prevent squeaking. I have those exact shocks and superlift bushing kit on my truck