Shocks for Auto Rear leveling Suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SwollenMonkey16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looking to upgrade OEM shocks. Has anyone upgraded their shocks that has the auto rear leveling system?

BLUKTY2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I have checked around quite a bit and from what I discovered there are no other options other than the OEM shocks. Rather disappointing at best.

I am approaching 25,000 miles on my original shocks and the truck carries a 3,200# camper 98% of the time. I am wondering how many miles I can realistically get out of the original shocks.

OP
OP
SwollenMonkey16

SwollenMonkey16

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have checked around quite a bit and from what I discovered there are no other options other than the OEM shocks. Rather disappointing at best.

I am approaching 25,000 miles on my original shocks and the truck carries a 3,200# camper 98% of the time. I am wondering how many miles I can realistically get out of the original shocks.

It’s definitely very disappointing that no one out there advertises aftermarket shocks for our setup. Sounds like we have to get custom built shocks if we don’t want OEM. And I run a HotShot business so I tow 10,000lbs+ 95% of the time and have 115k miles and shocks still good. I’m just looking for an even better shock

BLUKTY2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
It’s definitely very disappointing that no one out there advertises aftermarket shocks for our setup. Sounds like we have to get custom built shocks if we don’t want OEM. And I run a HotShot business so I tow 10,000lbs+ 95% of the time and have 115k miles and shocks still good. I’m just looking for an even better shock

I didn't realize that one could get custom built shocks. I will look more into this option. And good to hear that you have so many miles on your original OEM shocks. Thank you for the information!

TimO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Diesel
Monroe Reflex 911197 are the only aftermarket shocks I have found for Ram1500 with air suspension. I have a 2015 Longhorn. They are about $60 each . This is the second time Ive looked in 18 months. I put them on April 2018. In 18 months, , approximately 30k miles the upper bushings have worn to the point I can hear the shocks rattling every time I hit a bump. I've never seen this type of failure in a shock.

A pain to change. Have top remove the wheel well liner and the top nut is tucked in behind upper mount with very tight clearance to the frame. Need to use a crowsfoot and still hard to get to.

Dealership wants $150 per shock for OEM and $300 to install.

There are NO aftermarket options for front struts as they are apparently integral to the air ride "bag". Believe those are about $900 each from dealership plus installation. Not looking forward to that.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Monroe Reflex 911197 are the only aftermarket shocks I have found for Ram1500 with air suspension. I have a 2015 Longhorn. They are about $60 each . This is the second time Ive looked in 18 months. I put them on April 2018. In 18 months, , approximately 30k miles the upper bushings have worn to the point I can hear the shocks rattling every time I hit a bump. I've never seen this type of failure in a shock.

A pain to change. Have top remove the wheel well liner and the top nut is tucked in behind upper mount with very tight clearance to the frame. Need to use a crowsfoot and still hard to get to.

Dealership wants $150 per shock for OEM and $300 to install.

There are NO aftermarket options for front struts as they are apparently integral to the air ride "bag". Believe those are about $900 each from dealership plus installation. Not looking forward to that.

That’s weird, I wonder why Monroe makes a rear shock for your 2015 with air suspension and for the 17 but not my 18..... I’m currently hanging on hold fixin’ to find out why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I don’t know why no one else doesn’t either other than Monroe who at least makes a rear one for the 15 though 17 trucks with air ride.. I don’t know what’s so different about my 18 but once I noticed that Monroe has a has an aftermarket upgrade for that other guys 15 up to 17, I decided to call up Monroe and ask what the hell. The guy said he didn’t know, but he did say that there was a reason why their 2017 ram 1500 air ride shock won’t fit on a 2018 when as a matter of fact, the non air suspension 2017 1500s use the same exact damn shock as the non air ride 2018 1500s so explain that one to me. Lol.

Your only other option though, is to figure out what the part numbers is for the factory Bilsteins that come on the rebels with air suspension. At least if you went that route, you could get both rear shocks and front struts, anyways. I’m not sure if it matters, but since the rebels come with an extra inch of ground clearance, the rebels that have air ride, their normal ride height is basically your off-road 1 mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk