Should I be concerned with these idle hours?

Idle time

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
mine says 26550 hours 2010 and yes do a lot of idling cuz dont drive just run once a week and yaa my cold idle ticking very load now stealers don't here it nice right ! was told just drive it u have warranty on engine nice one right ! like to pass this truck to kids someday 60.500 on her !

Ram Vendetta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
IMO Yes it’s concerning. There DEFINITELY seems to be a correlation between idling and lifter, Cam failure. Just look at all the LE departments that sit idly and their vehicles need lifters/cans. I speak from experience when stating idling when eating breakfast & lunch in truck cost me s set of lifters/cam. Also be warned warranties are GREAT but......there’s no small print that states these damn dealers have a time constraint on when repair has to be done. Took those bas#%rds FIFTY days to get my truck back.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I am new to the Ram trucks and seen a post the other day about lifter failure and its possible relation to idle time. I went and pull up the info on my 2019 Big Horn Classic that I bought in April and found my 5.7 Hemi has a total of 1089 hours of run time. Idle time is 502 and drive hours are 587. Should I be concerned about these figures?

Was your 2019 an ex-rental? Not that this matters, but maybe the ignition was left on, etc.

Having owned two late model Ram 1500s, i'm still not sure what exactly goes into to determining if it's idle and/or drive time. I do know on my 2017 Ram 1500, both counters reset randomly one day when I had like ~300 idle hours and 1700 drive time. Funny thing was, the idle time didn't drop to zero. It went to like 50.

I wouldn't sweat what your counters say. You know if your truck was beat before you got it. You'll see various interior and exterior wear patterns.

FWIW, my 2019 1500 classic SLT CC 4x4, hemi was an ex-rental with 15K miles on it when I bought in July. I forget exactly what the idle/drive timers were at but they were like 50/300.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Whats the issue with having so many idle hrs? Never knew there could be an underlying issue.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Lifter/cam failure is directly correlated to high idle times.

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
According to FCA anything over 20% is excessive so that’s quite excessive. If you had the eco diesel I’d be really worried but not as much with the hemi. I’d run some good oil in that thing like redline for sure.
How are you not worried about the hemi? My hemi , once warm, has idle oil pressure of 30 psi versus the above 1k rpm of 50 psi so that would imply less oil flow wouldn't it? The service manager at my local Ram dealer said he sees most of the hemi lifter / cam issues in police cars due to high idle times.

yordanmedina82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lifter/cam failure is directly correlated to high idle times.

2018 Ram 2500 6.4L 4x4
Amsoil SS 0W-40
Is that related to just these trucks or trucks in general or also to all vehicles. I never really hear of tgis issues before today to be honest.

OP
OP
No Tyme

No Tyme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Was your 2019 an ex-rental? Not that this matters, but maybe the ignition was left on, etc.

Having owned two late model Ram 1500s, i'm still not sure what exactly goes into to determining if it's idle and/or drive time. I do know on my 2017 Ram 1500, both counters reset randomly one day when I had like ~300 idle hours and 1700 drive time. Funny thing was, the idle time didn't drop to zero. It went to like 50.

I wouldn't sweat what your counters say. You know if your truck was beat before you got it. You'll see various interior and exterior wear patterns.

FWIW, my 2019 1500 classic SLT CC 4x4, hemi was an ex-rental with 15K miles on it when I bought in July. I forget exactly what the idle/drive timers were at but they were like 50/300.

The only thing I seen on the truck that looked out of place was a good area of the drivers door entrance (Theas hole) of the paint worn away. To me it seemed excessive and I asked the salesman about it. I can't remember what his reply was but the truck otherwise looked fine inside and it only had a few scratches in the bed of the truck.
It runs great and my daily MPG is almost 18 MPG. I have put on about 4200 miles since I purchase the truck in April and have no complaints except the radio software has a bug that the auto maker knows about.

OP
OP
No Tyme

No Tyme

Reaction score
Ram Year
I think some fishyness happens with the idle hrs. I don't know if the drive hrs reset or the dealer does it. But the first six months I owned it I was View attachment 225043 under 20 percent.

You have many more miles than I do (24,429) and much less time altogether (idle 502, Driving 587). If you take your mileage and divide by the drive time the average speed would be over 135 MPH. That can't be correct.

JS4024

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just to be clear “idle time” is 0 throttle position.... you let off the gas pedal and it goes to “idle” position. Unless you let your vehicle run for hours do not worry about it. (It is NOT in “PARK” idle time.)

yordanmedina82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The only thing I seen on the truck that looked out of place was a good area of the drivers door entrance (Theas hole) of the paint worn away. To me it seemed excessive and I asked the salesman about it. I can't remember what his reply was but the truck otherwise looked fine inside and it only had a few scratches in the bed of the truck.
It runs great and my daily MPG is almost 18 MPG. I have put on about 4200 miles since I purchase the truck in April and have no complaints except the radio software has a bug that the auto maker knows about.
Jesus 18 MPG hell I didnt get that even before I put my 37sX22X14.5 . Not even on Highway.
Seems to me that there are alot of variables to the IDLE time.
Off the throttle, on park etc.
I love this truck I have, or Rams in general. I hope I dont have to pay the prize later.
My truck has 52k miles on it, 1400 plus run time hrs, 500 plus idle hrs and total HRS of 1800 plus. If I did the math the right way thats a bit over 30% idle time. Dont know what you calculate of so I just did it out of the run time.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
How are you not worried about the hemi? My hemi , once warm, has idle oil pressure of 30 psi versus the above 1k rpm of 50 psi so that would imply less oil flow wouldn't it? The service manager at my local Ram dealer said he sees most of the hemi lifter / cam issues in police cars due to high idle times.

Ya I’d be worried. Never said I wouldn’t be worried, just that if it was an eco diesel I would be even more worried. If I was planing to keep that truck past warranty and I knew it had 50% idle time I wouldn’t buy it.

Danes

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are definitely a few good videos that explain idle hours in terms of the equivalent mileage like the link below. Most of them state that 1 hour of idle time is the same as 33 miles of driving distance. One of them even went as far as to convert those hours and added that to the existing mileage on the vic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

yordanmedina82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Idle pressure shouldn't be the same as under load should it? Mine has the same I believe, 30 plus as to 53 under load. Also, what do lofeters and cams have to do with oil pressure ?

airmad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
My brand new 2014 Ecodiesel was delivered with 52 idle hours. I didn’t know this until later when playing with menus. I traded it on a new 2018 HDMI when the warranty expired.

yordanmedina82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My brand new 2014 Ecodiesel was delivered with 52 idle hours. I didn’t know this until later when playing with menus. I traded it on a new 2018 HDMI when the warranty expired.
Wish I could do that, i hot too much money on mine (for me that is). I guess a head job is cheaper than a new truck lol.

OP
OP
No Tyme

No Tyme

Reaction score
Ram Year
Jesus 18 MPG hell I didnt get that even before I put my 37sX22X14.5 . Not even on Highway.
Seems to me that there are alot of variables to the IDLE time.
Off the throttle, on park etc.
I love this truck I have, or Rams in general. I hope I dont have to pay the prize later.
My truck has 52k miles on it, 1400 plus run time hrs, 500 plus idle hrs and total HRS of 1800 plus. If I did the math the right way thats a bit over 30% idle time. Dont know what you calculate of so I just did it out of the run time.

N4LiMBg.jpg

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I am new to the Ram trucks and seen a post the other day about lifter failure and its possible relation to idle time. I went and pull up the info on my 2019 Big Horn Classic that I bought in April and found my 5.7 Hemi has a total of 1089 hours of run time. Idle time is 502 and drive hours are 587. Should I be concerned about these figures?
My idle hours are 156 drive hours are 1350 and miles are 44k